• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

War. Would you go? Would you send your sons and daughters?

When it becomes worse would you go or support sending your progeny to Ukraine to defend democracy?

• No, I'd rather live on my knees.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The subject came up tonight when my wife asked me if I thought we were approaching the point of direct American involvement in Ukraine. She was a bit shocked when I told her that I thought we were closer by the day.

She asked me if I thought there might be a resumption of the draft. Yes, I think there might be as we station more American troops in Europe, especially in NATO countries.

Did I think an expanded war is inevitable? Yes, regretfully, I do. It is in my opinion we face a matter of absolute shit choices, none good.

Would I support sending our children and/or grandchildren? Hell, no. Never. War is never a good choice. Sometimes the best choice of rotten options is when rather than if.

As crap continues to hit the fan in Ukraine - and it will become worse - would you go to defend democracy? Would you send your eligible children?

The subject came up tonight when my wife asked me if I thought we were approaching the point of direct American involvement in Ukraine. She was a bit shocked when I told her that I thought we were closer by the day.

She asked me if I thought there might be a resumption of the draft. Yes, I think there might be as we station more American troops in Europe, especially in NATO countries.

Did I think an expanded war is inevitable? Yes, regretfully, I do. It is in my opinion we face a matter of absolute shit choices, none good.

Would I support sending our children and/or grandchildren? Hell, no. Never.
War is never a good choice. Sometimes the best choice of rotten options is when rather than if.

As crap continues to hit the fan in Ukraine - and it will become worse - would you go to defend democracy? Would you send your eligible children?

You said it all for me and you didn't even know it. Hell, no, here too. Never.

. . . She asked me if I thought there might be a resumption of the draft. Yes, I think there might be as we station more American troops in Europe, especially in NATO countries. . .
The draft is always a bad idea.

Nobody should be forced to fight a war contrived by people who will never be called to fight in their war.

The solution is simple:

You want war? Then you volunteer to fight.

These warmongers are cowards at heart. They are quick to commit others to fight their senseless wars, but too cowardly to fight themselves.

These people should be shunned and mocked.

And they are usually. :)

I don't believe American troops will engage the Russians. I do believe it's a new Cold War, and will require appropriate troop levels to meet the current and future threat Russia poses. Perhaps some of those old cold war bases long closed in Europe need to reactivated.

Putins invasion is a seismic shock to European geo politics, not seen since the dissolution of the USSR.

I think that events are moving much faster than anyone realizes.
It's Germany 1934 ver. 2.0 right now but in a month it may very well be 1939, and then 1941.
And I think we may very well hit a confluence of Putin and Trumpsters wherein we find ourselves in TWO wars simultaneously, over there and here at home.
And that was by design.

Would I support sending our children and/or grandchildren? Hell, no. Never. War is never a good choice. Sometimes the best choice of rotten options is when rather than if.

No, I would not fight to defend one of USG's puppet regimes in Europe.

I agree that direct conflict seems disturbingly likely. But it is not inevitable. USG can end the conflict at any time by allowing the Ukrainians to surrender and accept the Russians' terms. Russia could also end the conflict by withdrawing from Ukraine and retracting its demands. Neither is likely since both have substantial, perhaps existential, reasons for needing to win in Ukraine. But both regimes are ultimately run by human beings with free will, so neither is impossible. As far as outcomes that are likely, there are two:

1. Russia militarily overwhelms Ukraine before USG can unify itself in support of entering the conflict (there are still many people in USG's foreign policy apparatus that would consider all-out war with Russia a bad thing). In the short term this will lead to a Cold War-esque state of affairs, but in the long term it'll hasten the collapse of USG's global empire.

2. USG succeeds in bringing about a hot war between itself and Russia. The results of this option are too frightening to contemplate.

Nope....not our problem. Your post has some ambiguity though. Are you in support of having a hot war with Russia, and perhaps China and more, or are you just saying that you think it's going to happen? If it's the former then it's pretty messed up to support war and not be willing to have your own kids go. If it's the latter, then I hope you're wrong with your prediction.

I don't believe American troops will engage the Russians. I do believe it's a new Cold War, and will require appropriate troop levels to meet the current and future threat Russia poses. Perhaps some of those old cold war bases long closed in Europe need to reactivated.

Putins invasion is a seismic shock to European geo politics, not seen since the dissolution of the USSR.
The Cold War never stopped, hence why the US was constantly expanding NATO.

Would you send your sons and daughters​

WTH does this even mean? People can't "send their sons and daughters" to war.

But in answer to your question, I think that Russia has clearly demonstrated that we don't need to station more troops in Europe. They can't even take on Ukraine.

What I support is arming the Ukraines, sending humanitarian aid, sharing intel, and sending in special ops to assist them. I also support the Ukraine's going into Russia and punching them in the mouth.

I think that events are moving much faster than anyone realizes.
It's Germany 1934 ver. 2.0 right now but in a month it may very well be 1939, and then 1941.
And I think we may very well hit a confluence of Putin and Trumpsters wherein we find ourselves in TWO wars simultaneously, over there and here at home.
And that was by design.
Hopefully the Germans won't bomb pearl harbor again.

Hopefully the Germans won't bomb pearl harbor again.

1649305168390.png

Nobody should be forced to fight a war contrived by people who will never be called to fight in their war.

The solution is simple:

These warmongers are cowards at heart. They are quick to commit others to fight their senseless wars, but too cowardly to fight themselves.

Yes, yes and yes. If, the nations security, freedom and national interests are severely threatened. So many what if's. Would it have been better if the US had entered WWII sooner? Who knows for sure, but for sure once Japan attacked us there was little choice but to go to war. Our allies, our place in the world as the supposed leader of the free world of nations, the future threats to our security and freedom all are worthy reasons for fighting to preserve them. Does anyone really want to go or to sent their family, of course not but there are things that require a response. Ukraine isn't a NATO member and perhaps that's reason to stay out of direct conflict. Yet, Ukraine is a free nation, a sovereign nation and the terrible things being done to the people of Ukraine demand more than a passing glance and a "it's none of our affair" attitude. At what point do we and the rest of the free world decide enough is enough?

Yes, yes and yes. If, the nations security, freedom and national interests are severely threatened. So many what if's. Would it have been better if the US had entered WWII sooner? Who knows for sure, but for sure once Japan attacked us there was little choice but to go to war. Our allies, our place in the world as the supposed leader of the free world of nations, the future threats to our security and freedom all are worthy reasons for fighting to preserve them. Does anyone really want to go or to sent their family, of course not but there are things that require a response. Ukraine isn't a NATO member and perhaps that's reason to stay out of direct conflict. Yet, Ukraine is a free nation, a sovereign nation and the terrible things being done to the people of Ukraine demand more than a passing glance and a "it's none of our affair" attitude. At what point do we and the rest of the free world decide enough is enough?

It will be decided for us in due time, because eventually events will become enough of a direct threat to our security that they cannot be ignored.
From my position we're well past that because of our own internal security threats from insurrectionists in Congress.
In other words, it's harder and harder to deny the fact that the war actually began on January 6th, 2021.

Russia-Ukraine is just the latest front to open up.
By the way, Russia has begun using the Rwanda playbook in earnest now.

I would have gone if sent by my country. I already served and I was willing to fight. Fortunately I was not needed to fight when I served. I would have no problem fighting along side brave people fighting for their freedom. I support an all volunteer military. I think there are more than enough people in this country who would fight with people who are fighting for their freedom. I see no need at this time to force people to fight who are not willing.

I would not force family to fight but I would have no problem is they joined. Now if and when our freedom is in danger then I support a draft.

I don't think there is currently any circumstance under which American and NATO ground forces enter Ukraine. Although, the Poles are chomping at the bit to go in. The far more likely scenario is that at some point America and NATO will close the skies over Ukraine. Which would likely be in the form of an advance warning to Russia that on such and such a date, at such and such a time, US airpower in conjunction with NATO Air forces will enact a no-fly zone over Ukraine. And if there is ever any of area of combat that you cannot challenge the US in, it's in the air. We can quickly establish air superiority anywhere in the world at any time. Challenging US airpower now would be pretty much tantamount to being a suicide wish. That's not braggadocio. That's just a fact We can assure Russia that US or NATO planes won't come any closer to Russia's borders or airspace than a specified number of kilometers. But at same time we should also make it clear that in addition to the no-fly zone any Russian rocket attack, ballistic missile launchers, artillery that it has been using to target and attack Ukrainian cites and civilians within specified areas within Ukraine will promptly cease to exist, if they are still there after the deadline for their removal passes. Once that happens there wouldn't really be any way for Russia to be able to continue to prosecute it's war against Ukraine seeing as though they are just barely hanging on with all the air, rocket, missile, and artillery advantages they had going into this conflict.

It will be decided for us in due time, because eventually events will become enough of a direct threat to our security that they cannot be ignored.
From my position we're well past that because of our own internal security threats from insurrectionists in Congress.
In other words, it's harder and harder to deny the fact that the war actually began on January 6th, 2021.

Russia-Ukraine is just the latest front to open up.
By the way, Russia has begun using the Rwanda playbook in earnest now.
Such exaggerations about Jan 6 are not worthy of a comparison to what is happening in Ukraine. The left and it's supporters ignore far too much, such as the many violent acts of the summer of 2020 to make such a charade of Jan 6. The tendency is to ignore actions that people who support your party are involved in. Both parties are guilty and neither has the high ground. The Jan 6 protest turned riot and tresspass is no real difference from the violence of summer 2020. It's only in who serves as the mouthpiece for the propaganda surrounding either. As we stand today the press tends to lean so far left it's a wonder they can keep from falling over.

As crap continues to hit the fan in Ukraine - and it will become worse - would you go to defend democracy?
Why defend democracy in Ukraine when we're not even engaged in combat to defend democracy anywhere else? Ukraine doesn't even make the top ten places in the world where our armed forces could be defending democracy.
Would you send your eligible children?
?? If my children are old enough to serve in the military, then I can't send them anywhere. It's a decision every adult person must make for themselves.

The solution is simple:

You are looking at it from the outside because it is unconceivable for you to imagen what happens in the Ukraine would happen in the US. What if you get invaded? Drafting still a bad idea?

(I voted for the last option, just because it is to funny to not get a vote...)

I wouldn't go and I'd do everything in my power to prevent my children from going too. Ukraine is not my country and it's not my war to fight.

If the Russians were to invade Sweden I would arm myself and hope to take, say, two or three of the swine with me. Old as I am my eyesight is good and I can shoot straight. They would get me in the end, of course, but what better way to die?

The solution is simple:

Speaking of cowards "takes one to know one" - so once went the playground chant in England .

The uninformed seem to think that Ukraine is just another foreign war that does not affect them. Putin's purpose in Ukraine is NATO and the big prize the US. I would be more worried about being in a big city rather than the draft.

No, I would not fight to defend one of USG's puppet regimes in Europe.

Which regimes would they be?
France? Spain? The UK?

There are plenty of those warrior type adrenaline junkies to volunteer for war.

Unless America is truly threatened I say no.

We have gotten many of our young men and women maimed and killed for nothing in these political wars or wars to protect/expand the profit for our corporations. Our military should not be used to ensure corporate profits.

Back
Top Bottom