• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

War. Would you go? Would you send your sons and daughters?

When it becomes worse would you go or support sending your progeny to Ukraine to defend democracy?

• No, I'd rather live on my knees.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Speaking of cowards "takes one to know one" - so once went the playground chant in England .
"I know you are, but what am I?"

This is another playground chant equally unsuited as an argument.

Can you now see why it's a bad idea to use playground chants as a basis for your argument?

I don't believe American troops will engage the Russians. I do believe it's a new Cold War, and will require appropriate troop levels to meet the current and future threat Russia poses. Perhaps some of those old cold war bases long closed in Europe need to reactivated.

Putins invasion is a seismic shock to European geo politics, not seen since the dissolution of the USSR.
In retrospect the Russian invasion of the Ukraine will be a good thing for Europe/NATO. Many people thought they didn't need to worry about war with Russia anymore. Now those same people cannot deny that Russia is still the Russia of old.

In retrospect the Russian invasion of the Ukraine will be a good thing for Europe/NATO. Many people thought they didn't need to worry about war with Russia anymore. Now those same people cannot deny that Russia is still the Russia of old.

After this war, I don't think Russia is going to try attacking anyone for a long time while they rebuild and retrain the armed forces.
The forces they have don't seem to be anywhere near as well trained as NATO troops in any area and even if they did somehow manage to get technical superiority that will always cripple them in the end.
There's a reason why NATO countries spend so much time and money on training and Russia seems to have decided they don't want to spend the money on that aspect.

If the Russians were to invade Sweden I would arm myself and hope to take, say, two or three of the swine with me. Old as I am my eyesight is good and I can shoot straight. They would get me in the end, of course, but what better way to die?

I hope they never get you in the end, Mr Swede :)

if the mass murder continues to expand good and sensible people around the world will have to make this decision......what Putin is doing is the same thing Hitler did.....if he wins in the Ukraine he won't stop there.....we as a species love military and soldiering.....it's a sickness that we cannot seem to outgrow......even with instant communication and seemingly endless new found possibilities for progress and peace that this brings we cannot shake our need to conquer and hate each other......we have this madness to be the winner.....the most powerful.....the richest......we have heard and read the words of wise men and we have established governments based in common sense and respect for each other but we just cannot shake our need to kill or be killed.....how do we manage to grow from innocent babies into monsters willing to allow a Putin to influence us enough to kill each other......it's insane

The subject came up tonight when my wife asked me if I thought we were approaching the point of direct American involvement in Ukraine. She was a bit shocked when I told her that I thought we were closer by the day.

She asked me if I thought there might be a resumption of the draft. Yes, I think there might be as we station more American troops in Europe, especially in NATO countries.

Did I think an expanded war is inevitable? Yes, regretfully, I do. It is in my opinion we face a matter of absolute shit choices, none good.

Would I support sending our children and/or grandchildren? Hell, no. Never. War is never a good choice. Sometimes the best choice of rotten options is when rather than if.

As crap continues to hit the fan in Ukraine - and it will become worse - would you go to defend democracy? Would you send your eligible children?
Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I think we'll do a "show of force" as far as deployments to NATO counties in Europe, but I don't think Putin is insane enough to attack a NATO country. Likely, if he is not "bled out" in the Ukraine, he will move on other nations Russia has been backing separatist movements in in Eurasia.

The wild card becomes nations like Sweden and Finland where Russia is threatening military action should they further move to join NATO. That becomes a scenario where WWIII could well breakout.

The subject came up tonight when my wife asked me if I thought we were approaching the point of direct American involvement in Ukraine. She was a bit shocked when I told her that I thought we were closer by the day.

She asked me if I thought there might be a resumption of the draft. Yes, I think there might be as we station more American troops in Europe, especially in NATO countries.

Did I think an expanded war is inevitable? Yes, regretfully, I do. It is in my opinion we face a matter of absolute shit choices, none good.

Would I support sending our children and/or grandchildren? Hell, no. Never. War is never a good choice. Sometimes the best choice of rotten options is when rather than if.

As crap continues to hit the fan in Ukraine - and it will become worse - would you go to defend democracy? Would you send your eligible children?
If a war did break out and the draft was put out there I think Canada would double in size over night with left wingers kids.

Such exaggerations about Jan 6 are not worthy of a comparison to what is happening in Ukraine. The left and it's supporters ignore far too much, such as the many violent acts of the summer of 2020 to make such a charade of Jan 6. The tendency is to ignore actions that people who support your party are involved in. Both parties are guilty and neither has the high ground. The Jan 6 protest turned riot and tresspass is no real difference from the violence of summer 2020. It's only in who serves as the mouthpiece for the propaganda surrounding either. As we stand today the press tends to lean so far left it's a wonder they can keep from falling over.
You still think Antifa had a hand in Jan 6th, don't you?

I would not go or send my kids. If War came to the US of A, I would defend democracy, whether by invasion or domestic fascists or other enemies of democracy.

No, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't do nothing either. The sanctions are the best bet to slow Putin down.

I’m not a pasifist, but I’ve been against every war since Vietnam. I would fight for democracy, as I said, against any threat either foreign or domestic.

Been there, done it. Was it worth it no.

Attack me and my country, yes

We need to defend democracy here at home. I would definitely fight as the Ukrainians are for their country. Hope to not have to. #2022

Ukraine isn't our fight. So no. If our leaders were competent in running a war I might be more inclined to support it. We wasted billions of dollars and thousands of American lives on Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea and other wars. Why would anyone want those retards in charge of another war?

Excellent commentary!

What wild responses to the poll so far. 8 folks ready to go fight.

Propaganda works is the lesson learned.

Other options! We don't have to continue support barbarism intellectually. I'm considering how to not keep paying federal income taxes, since that's a big part of what financially supports barbarism.

Other options! We don't have to continue support barbarism intellectually. I'm considering how to not keep paying federal income taxes, since that's a big part of what financially supports barbarism.
Easy way to do that, emigrate.

This is a tough question. My 18th fell in the year before high school graduation. I registered in the autumn of 1970. Three generations of military members preceded me. I drew # 94 in the lottery. That affected all of my life choices for the next two years; school, jobs and a general outlook on life. I enlisted in autumn of 1972 and received my forwarded “Greetings” letter in my second week of basic training. They drafted through # 95 that year.

I would have to think real hard before I supported another US military “special operation.”

Back
Top Bottom