• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

War threads

Soooo many war threads started by right-wingers decrying left winger hypocrisy for those who back Obama's Syria moves (which I don't).

I want an honest show of conservatives that were opposed to Bush's foreign war policies as that march to stupidity was happening.

Just give me one.

not a right winger, but you already know my stance on Bush's antics.... one of my first posts at PCF was a critique of the war strategies through the prism of the teachings of Sun Tzu

in my estimation, the war on terror should have consisted of several high profile assassinations.. Saddam and his henchmen, Bin Laden and his henchmen, and maybe a few middle east leaders/terrorists for a lil flavoring.
but we are still stuck in the mindset that the little men who do not make decisions are the ones who will pay the ultimate price for those who do make the decisions.

Assad ( if he's the one who ordered the chemical attacks) will not pay for his decision... the poor schmucks who are standing guard at chemical sites.. janitors, engineers, maintenancemen... those evil sunsabiches are the ones Obama will punish for Assad's decision/actions.

i'm cool with Obama wanting to send a message to those whom would use chemical weapons on innocent civilians... but it will be the wrong message sent to the wrong person... it always is.

Did you miss the part where I said "moderate?" LOL

We had the opportunity to kick ass and take names in Gulf War I, when Saddam had clearly crossed the line by invading Kuwait with the purpose of conquest. Kuwait has always been our friend, and I support the defense of our friends. Instead of taking care of the problem once and for all though, we created "occupied zones" which would be returned if Saddam played nice-nice thereafter.

Bush Jr. decided that 9/11 gave him all the support he needed to invade Iraq, even though all evidence showed that Saddam had nothing to do with it. Yeah, I'd say the second war was pretty bogus and I did not support it.

You are right, I probably should have just associated moderate with wrong...ha ha.

Bush sr had a UN mandate only to kick Iraq out of Kuwait and keep it from invading other neighbors...so blame that on the UN.

Need to try to wean yourself off the left wing media poisoned milk... look for other sources so you can get a more even view of the way things really work, that is my suggestion. I mean you are just parroting the left... that is not a moderate stance. Why did the US, under Bill Clinton, put forward regime change? BJ thought Saddam had WMDs as well, and he had used them both on Iran and his own peoples. Before and after Gulf War I. It was a Just War, got rid of a bad dictator constantly threatening a too important region of the world, energy wise, which is the life blood of modern societies, took out his bad sons as well, started a democracy in the middle east besides just Israel, we found out about the AQKhan nuke network, got Gaddafi to offer up surrender of his own WMD programs, blah blah....lots of good came from it.

But hey, we all have our own views, just some are more supported than others.

Really? You mean you've missed all of my posts in most "Syria Intervention" threads constantly arguing that we are NOT the "World's Policeman?" :)

Maybe I don't count because I am more a moderate than a conservative. You know: for gay rights and pro-choice, against gun control and government restriction on our individual liberties.

I was also FOR the first Gulf War because Saddam had invaded Kuwait, although pissed because we should have finished the job and kicked Saddam out back then. I was opposed to Bush Jr.'s second Iraq War because it was bogus.

My bad. I'll try to pay more attention. The noise of the hypocrites is so deafening I guess I didn't hear your talking. I miss you libertarians that are actually libertarians and not Republicans pretending they have no ties to GW Bush... except by policy of course.

Bush sr had a UN mandate only to kick Iraq out of Kuwait and keep it from invading other neighbors...so blame that on the UN.

Who provided the bulk of military forces in the operation? We did. Who was in command of the overall operation? We were. Who had the power to decide when the "UN mandate" was accomplished? We did. Could we have ousted Saddam then? Yes.

IMO the rest of your post is blah blah blah...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The OP stated he did not see any Libertarians (i.e. "group #3 on his list) opposing intervention, as if to say ALL libertarians must be conservatives and are in support of Syrian intervention. I pointed out this error.

Sounds a little contradictory, wanted Saddam out but were against GW, Congress' and our, the American People's Iraq War... it was a Just War under Just War theory, was a success and, if someone besides a left leaning yet war stumbling buffoon like zer-0 had been elected, would still be a success [ in the W column, pun intended ] and potentially a force for good in a now super messed up region...

This sort of fatuous simplistic thought is why conservatives should never be in charge of foreign policy.

Obama is at least deliberating honestly. Bush was going to start his vanity war no matter what. Remember the yellowcake.

My bad. I'll try to pay more attention. The noise of the hypocrites is so deafening I guess I didn't hear your talking. I miss you libertarians that are actually libertarians and not Republicans pretending they have no ties to GW Bush... except by policy of course.

I think the hypocrisy of the leaders in our government is enough to drown out everyone here...

not a right winger, but you already know my stance on Bush's antics.... one of my first posts at PCF was a critique of the war strategies through the prism of the teachings of Sun Tzu

in my estimation, the war on terror should have consisted of several high profile assassinations.. Saddam and his henchmen, Bin Laden and his henchmen, and maybe a few middle east leaders/terrorists for a lil flavoring.
but we are still stuck in the mindset that the little men who do not make decisions are the ones who will pay the ultimate price for those who do make the decisions.

Assad ( if he's the one who ordered the chemical attacks) will not pay for his decision... the poor schmucks who are standing guard at chemical sites.. janitors, engineers, maintenancemen... those evil sunsabiches are the ones Obama will punish for Assad's decision/actions.

i'm cool with Obama wanting to send a message to those whom would use chemical weapons on innocent civilians... but it will be the wrong message sent to the wrong person... it always is.

Right on man. My thoughts were the same on Iraq and Afghanistan. Putting the military there was just a huge obvious costly footprint that just put the bad guys in hiding when a black op move would've costs near nothing in lives and $'s. Hell it could've been done with no American in country. Just throw enough $'s around and someone would've taken the job. Sounds coarse but not hardly compared to a worthless war whose outcome is never what is promised going in.

This sort of fatuous simplistic thought is why conservatives should never be in charge of foreign policy.

Obama is at least deliberating honestly. Bush was going to start his vanity war no matter what. Remember the yellowcake.

Obama is not deliberating.. he's convinced in his position..... he put it on Congress to deliberate over allowing him to get his way.

Obama is identical to Bush in this regard.

Who provided the bulk of military forces in the operation? We did. Who was in command of the overall operation? We were. Who had the power to decide when the "UN mandate" was accomplished? We did. Could we have ousted Saddam then? Yes.

IMO the rest of your post is blah blah blah...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The OP stated he did not see any Libertarians (i.e. "group #3 on his list) opposing intervention, as if to say ALL libertarians must be conservatives and are in support of Syrian intervention. I pointed out this error.

Nah... I knew you guys were out there. Just wanted to get you guys more front and center.

I think the hypocrisy of the leaders in our government is enough to drown out everyone here...

I just can't get over watching John Kerry selling a war. WTF ever.

Showers message the brain, 80% water, as it swooshes around. Some of my best teacher thoughts came in the shower. Just like on the throne. Important to keep a notepad nearby. #1) I am happy with how professional my Republican congressman Adam Kinzinger behaved today.

Showers message the brain, 80% water, as it swooshes around. Some of my best teacher thoughts came in the shower. Just like on the throne. Important to keep a notepad nearby. #1) I am happy with how professional my Republican congressman Adam Kinzinger behaved today.

Dude... the shower is the shyte. There is where my best thinking happens. Not so much a thrown thinker though. I try to spend and little time there as possible. Always blew my mind how folks can sit there and read until their legs fall asleep.

Kosovo-Repubs no and Dems yes; Iraq 2--both yes; Syria-Repubs no and Dems yes; In science, we call this a pattern.

Dude... the shower is the shyte. There is where my best thinking happens. Not so much a thrown thinker though. I try to spend and little time there as possible. Always blew my mind how folks can sit there and read until their legs fall asleep.

Kosovo-Repubs no and Dems yes; Iraq 2--both yes; Syria-Repubs no and Dems yes; In science, we call this a pattern.

I think this is more like Iraq. 2 yes... at least in the government.

Can'tor and Boehner will NOT whip votes, causing a veritable free-for-all. The whip, McCarthy, is a no.

I predict a narrow loss for Obama in the House. Rank Paul knows this or he would have filibustered.

And what a poo-say Rubio turned out to be. Talk about flim-flam.
I think this is more like Iraq. 2 yes... at least in the government.

I fully supported and still support both Afghan and Iraq as well as the War on Terror.

I do not support Obama taking actions because currently we basically have two our enemies fighting each other, the Tehran surrogate Assad Regime which is Shi'ite vs Sunni radicals which in the past have supported Al Queda. If Obama wants to take actions there to continue the War on Terror, no problem, but wait until those two sides get done killing as many of each other as they can and then step in and take out the "winner". The civilians have two choices, grow some balls, choose sides and fight or get the hell out of the way, by waiting, we get the damned civilians out of the way for our operations while allowing the weakening of any opposition we might face.

Good left wing debating position, as usual, cast aspersions with no evidence...

Just about the only group that knows what they are doing foreign policy-wise [ heavy emphasis on the wise part...some folks are wise, the left is otherwise ] are the conservatives. The boobama shows every day he knows less and less... and gets us and the world in more and more, deeper and deeper trouble. Almost assures a Republican victory in 2016 and probably get the senate back in 2014... we will retain the House...I mean, the American people can be duped, but are not suicidal. Time for the cavalry to come to the rescue, as always.

Deliberating honestly? You mean like he did on Libya...you mean like he is after he saw a political out after Cameron showed him the way? Now he has total political cover for his almost second grade level mistake, draw this red line then lying about drawing this red line, how strong does that look...? Then with all the juvenile antics he is playing with Putin and friends? The guy, our guy, is a complete embarrassment.

Oh, and I almost forgot, here is a very trenchant article on the the whole yellowcake thing by the late Chris Hitchens prior to his far too early passing...Hitchens a man of the left but truthful, an excellent debater [ unlike almost any other liberal debater] and so easily understood to be factually correct.

But thanks for asking, this is the usual way we have to inform the other side, they not being very inquisitive of the actual truth themselves.

Getting to the bottom of the "yellowcake" story. - Slate Magazine

I just wonder how this war will be carried out with ''no boots'' on the ground. Rob the hypocrisy on both sides, (which extends to other political moves/discussions) is evident and annoying!

The dumb donkey is underlying, its there no matter what the situation. Its just the truth.

You really think the big 0 didn't do the silly thing, paint himself and us into a corner with his red line statement?

I do not disagree that this is complex, that earlier there were some groups we actually could have backed against Assad, had we [ had the big zer-0 ] been decisive...now things are really messy, now since the president has said he will do something we have to do something...yet nothing we do will push things in a particularly good direction, we do not know who the "badder" guys are when there do not seem to be any good guys of any stature. What the big o will finally do will probably be, as an anonymous administration source put it, the new Obama Doctrine: military action “just muscular enough not to get mocked.” Wow. So what message does that send to Iran? What does that say to Assad, who will take the hit and say, hey, I took on American and won, think N. Korea will be worried? How about Moscow and Beijing? What about our allies, think they will be confident of three more years of this feckless leader here?

Good left wing debating position, as usual, cast aspersions with no evidence...

Just about the only group that knows what they are doing foreign policy-wise [ heavy emphasis on the wise part...some folks are wise, the left is otherwise ] are the conservatives. The boobama shows every day he knows less and less... and gets us and the world in more and more, deeper and deeper trouble. Almost assures a Republican victory in 2016 and probably get the senate back in 2014... we will retain the House...I mean, the American people can be duped, but are not suicidal. Time for the cavalry to come to the rescue, as always.

Deliberating honestly? You mean like he did on Libya...you mean like he is after he saw a political out after Cameron showed him the way? Now he has total political cover for his almost second grade level mistake, draw this red line then lying about drawing this red line, how strong does that look...? Then with all the juvenile antics he is playing with Putin and friends? The guy, our guy, is a complete embarrassment.

And still, the continued focus on how this will affect Obama, instead of how this will affect the nation. As if what happens to Obama is the really important thing :roll:

Back
Top Bottom