• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

War on terror....why?

thoracle

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This article I came across while searching 'Christopher Hitchens' after watching him thoroughly embarass Mr. Galloway on Bill Maher's show presents the most articulate arguement on the 'war on terror' issue that I have yet seen. Please, conservatives, liberals and everyone else, I am interested in your responses to it.

Here's the link:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/995phqjw.asp?pg=1

thoracle said:
This article I came across while searching 'Christopher Hitchens' after watching him thoroughly embarass Mr. Galloway on Bill Maher's show presents the most articulate arguement on the 'war on terror' issue that I have yet seen. Please, conservatives, liberals and everyone else, I am interested in your responses to it.

Here's the link:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/995phqjw.asp?pg=1

Bill Maher????? You're kidding, right? Maher needs to restock his audiences. It's too packed with fans who are inflating his sense of how smart and funny he is.

MiamiFlorida said:
Bill Maher????? You're kidding, right? Maher needs to restock his audiences. It's too packed with fans who are inflating his sense of how smart and funny he is.
I watch Bill Maher on occasion to give me a lefty's perspective. His audience is obviously leaning hard left, as evidenced by the fact that there was no cheering during Mr. Hitchens demolishing of Mr. Galloway's hard left position. I was asking what you thought of the content of Mr. Hitchens' article. Did you read it?

Have seen Hitchens a couple of times on the talk shows, but this is the first of his written material that I have read. As it happens, I had also just read today's FT piece on Bush and the role Condi Rice plays in his administration. It was a of bit deja vu all over again (to not coin a phrase): Hitchens displays the same kind of 'practical realism' with which Condi Rice is touted as displaying. That is, the Bush administrations's determination to not back away from its broad goals of bringing democratic change to places that have not known it, but pursuing these goals in ways that take account the unique aspects of each case. Or as Hitchens quoted from Tony Blair's 1999 speech, "Coexistence with aggressive regimes or expansionist, theocratic, and totalitarian ideologies is not in fact possible...If the great effort to remake Iraq as a demilitarized federal and secular democracy should fail or be defeated, I shall lose sleep for the rest of my life in reproaching myself for doing too little."

Hitchen's seems on board with that concept. I'm not going to dissect Hitchen's article; I'm sure others will do that, if sufficiently motivated. I will only say that the article strikes me as a strong and critical look at the events and personalities surrounding the war on terror. An impressive exercise.

Back
Top Bottom