• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

War on Halloween

It's so dark sided!

Gargoyles! Psychics! Everything is Ungodly!

ROFL. I love Christians. :mrgreen:

Call it what you want--it's still a pagan Holiday.

Come to think of it Xmass is really the Yule, which was a pagan holiday.

All we do is celebrate pagan dates. Christ wasn't born on Dec 31st, as most Christians know.

:peace

Do I have to make a song for this holiday too? It's not even a real holiday. I still have to go to work on Halloween. Unlike Christmas (thank god I'm not an auditor!).

Hell, are there even Halloween songs?

Do I have to make a song for this holiday too? It's not even a real holiday. I still have to go to work on Halloween. Unlike Christmas (thank god I'm not an auditor!).

reefedjib...uh..not sure what to think.

More like:
YouTube - This Is Halloween

Not sure exactly how to turn that into a similar anti-Halloween song like I did for Christmas's Deck the Halls.

ANTI-Halloween song?! I will take no part in that nonsense. ****, trying to destroy the best holiday we have.

ANTI-Halloween song?! I will take no part in that nonsense. ****, trying to destroy the best holiday we have.

I thought about trying to turn it into denouncing witchcraft, girls in slutty outfits and candy but I just can't make it good. I think I'll have to pass on this one. Maybe if there's a massive outrage this year I'll reconsider.

Well, I suppose since Wicca is recognized as a true religion, I suppose it's only fair that good ol' Samhain (Wiccans favorite time of year) also goes the way of political correctness. :clap:

It really pisses me off:( What kills me are the Christians that claim to want no part of evil Halloween and then turn around and host trunk and treats, candy night at church, etc. Can we all say Hypocrites:roll:

This is honestly retarded. Although honestly after doing a Halloween in Salem the entire day sort of spooks me out. Although I do approve of the costumes.

Will this day ever be completely usurped and deemed christian enough? the name Halloween itself was a result of attempts to overshadow and depaganize the Celtic harvest festival of Sawhain with a nice acceptable Catholic holiday (All saints day, Nov 1st.) The night before All saints Day became all hallowed's eve, which in turn became Halloween (hallowed evening)

I prefer the Celtic version pre christian meddling (and now other Christians are meddling with the meddling) screw that..

happy Samhain!!

Last edited:
:prof Wicca is a modern religion.

Halloween is rooted in ancient Gaelic and Roman beliefs.

Samhain is a Gaelic festival held on October 31–November 1. The Irish name Samhain is derived from Old Irish and means roughly "summer's end". A harvest festival with ancient roots in Celtic polytheism, it was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and continued to be celebrated in late medieval times.

Samhain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The_More_You_Know.jpg

:prof Wicca is a modern religion.

Halloween is rooted in ancient Gaelic and Roman beliefs.

Samhain is a Gaelic festival held on October 31–November 1. The Irish name Samhain is derived from Old Irish and means roughly "summer's end". A harvest festival with ancient roots in Celtic polytheism, it was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and continued to be celebrated in late medieval times.

Wicca is a "modern religion"? Not everyone seems to agree, including some of the original founders of the "modern version." Seems Wicca was alive and well during the original festivals of Samhain in Northern Europe.

Gerald Gardner (1884 - 1964), a British civil servant, who:

has written that he joined an existing Wiccan Coven in 1939, taking the (then) usual vows of secrecy

persuaded the coven to let him write a book in 1949 about Wicca in the form of a novel, High Magic's Aid. He carefully revealed a few of the Old Religion's beliefs and the historical persecutions that they endured.

1. added many rituals, symbols, concepts and elements from ceremonial magick, Freemasonry and other sources to "flesh out" the coven's beliefs and practices, most of which had been long forgotten.

2. wrote Witchcraft Today in 1954 in which he described additional details about the faith.

3. wrote The Meaning of Witchcraft which described in detail the history of Wicca in Northern Europe.

Theories about the origins of Wicca:
There are many beliefs concerning the origins of Wicca
:

According to Gardner, Wicca:

1. began in prehistory, as ritual associated with fire, the hunt, animal fertility, plant propagation, tribal fertility and the curing of disease.

2. developed into a religion which recognized a Supreme Deity, but realized that at their state of evolution, they "were incapable of understanding It" . Instead, they worshipped what might be termed "under-Gods": the Goddess of fertility and her horned consort, the God of the hunt.

3. continued their predominately Moon based worship, even as a mainly Sun-based faith of priests, the Druids, developed and evolved into the dominant religion of the Celts. By this time, Celtic society had gradually spread across Northern Europe into what is now England, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland etc. They never formed a single political entity, but remained as many tribes who shared a common culture and religions.

4. survived the Roman, Saxon, and Norman invasions by going underground

5. suffered major loss in numbers during the active Christian genocides, which continued into the 18th Century

6. reached a low ebb by the middle of the 20th century. Much of the theology and ritual had been lost; Wiccan covens had become so isolated that they had lost contact with each other.

7. was revived in the UK by himself, his High Priestess Doreen Valiente, (1922 - 1999) and others, who took the surviving beliefs and practices, and fleshed them out with material from other religious, spiritual and ceremonial magick sources.

Gardner has claimed that after he wrote his books, he received many letters from members of isolated covens who had believed that their groups had been in continuous existence for generations or centuries.

The history of Wicca

Last edited:
Remember when Halloween used to be called..."Halloween"?

Not anymore. Thanks to the war that has been waged on Halloween by religious groups, it's now known as "Autumn holiday" or "fall festival," or "Harvest."

The War on Halloween - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

The Danger of Celebrating Halloween

:shrug: - I like 'fall festival' and stuff because there's more to *Halloween time* for me than just *trick or treat*
For me it's seasonal and often my ghostly halloween decorations run in with my turkeys and in the middle of the night they're the only things going bump bump bump. I swear - nothing more disturbing than the mess of TurkeyGhost sex on my kitchen table in the morning.

Well, I suppose since Wicca is recognized as a true religion, I suppose it's only fair that good ol' Samhain (Wiccans favorite time of year) also goes the way of political correctness. :clap:

I suppose the fact that All Hallow's Eve is a CHRISTIAN holiday is lost on you, right?

Maybe the secular can now understand why Christians get ticked when people want to call Christmas "winter holiday" or x-mas. I agree that many of my faith over react. The notion of witches and vampires makes them go crazy when in reality it's just good fun with no harm.

Maybe the secular can now understand why Christians get ticked when people want to call Christmas "winter holiday" or x-mas. I agree that many of my faith over react. The notion of witches and vampires makes them go crazy when in reality it's just good fun with no harm.

Maybe everyone should just call it what they want and not worry about what the rest of society thinks. Than neither Christians or Nonchristians would have a reason to be pissed.

I suppose the fact that All Hallow's Eve is a CHRISTIAN holiday is lost on you, right?

Christianity developed over time - and drew inspiration from many other religious and cultural standards that were in existance before it's evolution.

I kinda look at these "holidays" as an exercise of spirit. As the year draws to and end, and the days get shorter, we are forced to face our darkest fears (Halloween). There cannot be growth without pain. Then there is a time for love, support and healing (Thanksgiving). By the end of the holiday season, there's celebration (Christmas, Hanuakah etc) and renewal (New Years Day).

People will always b*tch about the holidays. However in life, you roll with the darkness, embrace the love in your life and then celebrate. Simplistic I know. But it works for me. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom