• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

War on Easter

Another making something out of nothing by the religious fanatics. You work at City hall, you should know better then start decorating and all. Goodness, since when did easter with the pastels, bunnies, chocolates ever come to be?
The order to take them down was right. What you want to practice in your own privacy that's your business, decorating it out in a public area is indeed disresepctful of those that do not believe in your faith.

Stace said:
You know, I never really understood what bunnies and chocolate eggs had to do with Jesus, anyway. But man, this sort of stuff is funny.

The story has to do with the god Eostre, and her symbol was a rabbit. Supposively she made a rabbit that lays colorful eggs. Also, eggs represents fertility.

It really depends on who you ask. There are quite a bit of stories backing that up.

TheAnonymous said:
The story has to do with the god Eostre, and her symbol was a rabbit. Supposively she made a rabbit that lays colorful eggs. Also, eggs represents fertility.

It really depends on who you ask. There are quite a bit of stories backing that up.

Hmmm. Never heard that one before. I always just kinda figured the eggs at least symbolized new life or something along those lines.

TheAnonymous said:

Hahahaha, the irony. A pagan symbol for a christian holiday.

jfuh said:
Hahahaha, the irony. A pagan symbol for a christian holiday.

Paganism is sprinkled quite liberally throughout all things "Christian". Christianity is essentially one big ripoff of pagan symbology.

http://www.medmalexperts.com/POCM/

Nice site to browse through if you've got the time.

I vote for a pre-emptive strike to end the threat now. Perhaps assassinate the easter bunny before he can finish laying his EMD (eggs of mass destruction). Since he is notorious for hiding them and children are his vehicle of delivery when they find them, send all the kids to concentration camps until this threat passes. We will look for the eggs out in the fields of plastic grass...leave no basket unturned people. Intelligence also indicates that he may be hiding and training terrorist cells of peeps. This is a threat of highest interest to national security. You have your orders people, NOW MOVE OUT!!!!

Stace said:
Paganism is sprinkled quite liberally throughout all things "Christian". Christianity is essentially one big ripoff of pagan symbology.

http://www.medmalexperts.com/POCM/

Nice site to browse through if you've got the time.
Might as well ask the pagan on this site then. Hey Tecoyah! Yeah what's your take on this?

Stace said:
...Or vs.-vrs.

Stace said:
Not vice versa. Pagan religions were around long before Christianity.

You know what the funniest Christian practice that came from paganism is to me? The advent wreath...each sunday leading up to christmas, we light a candle on this wreath...there are four candles on the outside and one big white one in the center. The four candles are aligned with the cardinal directions on the compass if its done like it is supposed to be. I was sitting in Mass a couple of christmas's back and it dawned on me...the priest was calling a circle...a big fat pagan circle right there in front of God and everybody. :rofl

jallman said:
You know what the funniest Christian practice that came from paganism is to me? The advent wreath...each sunday leading up to christmas, we light a candle on this wreath...there are four candles on the outside and one big white one in the center. The four candles are aligned with the cardinal directions on the compass if its done like it is supposed to be. I was sitting in Mass a couple of christmas's back and it dawned on me...the priest was calling a circle...a big fat pagan circle right there in front of God and everybody. :rofl

Oh my. That is pretty funny. I hope you didn't start laughing right there!!

Stace said:
Oh my. That is pretty funny. I hope you didn't start laughing right there!!

laughing during church is a sin. ;)

jallman said:
Pardon my ignorance, but a circle? I'm lost. What do you mean the priest was calling a circle?

jfuh said:
Pardon my ignorance, but a circle? I'm lost. What do you mean the priest was calling a circle?

The circle is significant to some (especially welsh and celtic) pagan religions because it is representative of the wheel of the year and eternity because it is...well a circle. Pagan ceremonies often begin with drawing a circle to make the space sacred by calling to the four cardinal directions, each one being representative of one of the four elements with a center point being representative of the "element" of spirit. The pagan circle is useful for raising and containing spiritual energies or, if invoked around the "priest" as a protective barrier. Demonologists and necromancers use the circle along with a thaumaturgic triangle to capture and bind supernatural energies such as elementals or daemons for various magickal purposes. It has been asserted that King Solomon of the Bible had a special circle in the form of a seal that he used to trap two daemons named Gog and Magog, which is where he drew his immense wisdom from.

jallman said:
The circle is significant to some (especially welsh and celtic) pagan religions because it is representative of the wheel of the year and eternity because it is...well a circle. Pagan ceremonies often begin with drawing a circle to make the space sacred by calling to the four cardinal directions, each one being representative of one of the four elements with a center point being representative of the "element" of spirit. The pagan circle is useful for raising and containing spiritual energies or, if invoked around the "priest" as a protective barrier. Demonologists and necromancers use the circle along with a thaumaturgic triangle to capture and bind supernatural energies such as elementals or daemons for various magickal purposes. It has been asserted that King Solomon of the Bible had a special circle in the form of a seal that he used to trap two daemons named Gog and Magog, which is where he drew his immense wisdom from.
Let me reword myself. I know the significance of the circle, what I'm asking is what you meant by the priest at your church calling a circle?

jfuh said:
Let me reword myself. I know the significance of the circle, what I'm asking is what you meant by the priest at your church calling a circle?

The candles are lit in a clockwise circle, starting with the east candle. Finally, the completion of the Advent ritual ends with christmas mass and the lighting of the center candle...it is just very similar to the ritual of calling a circle of invocation in pagan rituals...right down to the center candle being representative of Christ and is lit on Christmas day. I just found it odd when it dawned on me what it was, thats all.

jallman said:
laughing during church is a sin. ;)

You are certainly aware that the early church fathers co-opted many pagan holidays and symbols, etc, as a strategic move for what they viewed as the dead serious business of saving their souls. You are being a religious uncle tom when join in with the giggling of the anti-religious bigots here.

alphamale said:
You are certainly aware that the early church fathers co-opted many pagan holidays and symbols, etc, as a strategic move for what they viewed as the dead serious business of saving their souls. You are being a religious uncle tom when join in with the giggling of the anti-religious bigots here.

I fail to see any anti religious bigotry here at all. An observation about how the media is hyping up an issue like they did over Christmas is certainly not bigoted toward religion...and neither is a conversation about pagan roots of some of Christianity's traditions. I am the only one who has professed being a Christian so far and I feel no bigotry at all...I'm sorry that you do.

alphamale said:
How is it that any of us who are laughing at the irony of using pagan rituals in christian practices bigotry? The recognition of which seems to show quite the contrary from bigotry.

Stace said:
Not vice versa. Pagan religions were around long before Christianity.
In the second and third centuries, The Christian Church set out to evangelize the pagan world. But it found that the only way it could gain many converts from paganism was to compromise the clear teaching of scripture to accommodate pagan views, so making ‘Christianity’ much more acceptable. Offered the choice of paganised ‘Christianity’ or the sword, the pagans saw they did not have to change their basic views about death and the hereafter. They only had to accommodate the new teaching with their own. They could live with paganized Christianity, but to remain wholly pagan they would die. Most people would rather live with compromise than die with inflexible religious ideas.
In this way the so-called ‘Christian Church’ compromised Biblical Christianity and the pagans compromised paganism. The result is what we have largely all around us even to day, a mixture of Christianity into paganism, or, paganised Christianity. This, with the fear of death, helped along by the Crusades and The Inquisition, brought wholesale national conversions. Europe, which had been wholly pagan, became a little less pagan in accepting Catholicism rather than the sword. It became mainly Catholic and called ‘Christian’. Religious doctrines and customs remained largely the same – only the names/symbolisms of things were changed!
(article excerpt)

Last edited:
Apostle13 said:
In the second and third centuries, The Christian Church set out to evangelize the pagan world. But it found that the only way it could gain many converts from paganism was to compromise the clear teaching of scripture to accommodate pagan views, so making ‘Christianity’ much more acceptable. Offered the choice of paganised ‘Christianity’ or the sword, the pagans saw they did not have to change their basic views about death and the hereafter. They only had to accommodate the new teaching with their own. They could live with paganized Christianity, but to remain wholly pagan they would die. Most people would rather live with compromise than die with inflexible religious ideas.
In this way the so-called ‘Christian Church’ compromised Biblical Christianity and the pagans compromised paganism. The result is what we have largely all around us even to day, a mixture of Christianity into paganism, or, paganised Christianity. This, with the fear of death, helped along by the Crusades and The Inquisition, brought wholesale national conversions. Europe, which had been wholly pagan, became a little less pagan in accepting Catholicism rather than the sword. It became mainly Catholic and called ‘Christian’. Religious doctrines and customs remained largely the same – only the names/symbolisms of things were changed!
(article excerpt)
I wonder what a fully Pagan europe would look like today?

jfuh said:
I wonder what a fully Pagan europe would look like today?
That would be cool to see, no doubt.
Meddling Christians!

Back
Top Bottom