• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

WaPo: Donald Trump is a unique threat to American democracy

Come back after she spends 8 years in the White House and tell us all about it.

:lol:

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch,running out of time,GOP.

Just like a typical European who doesn't have to pay for the debt service on the debt the left is leaving us and that entitlement mentality that is destroying Europe. I wish I could figure you people out but have given up, your economy is in shambles, you live in a region where over 60% of your GDP is based upon govt. spending, you have high taxation, high unemployment, low economic growth and spend all your time telling us what is wrong in this country and why we need to be more like Europe. We have had 7 plus years of Obama and that dog don't hunt

You're dreaming.

The only way that Trump will ever see the inside of the White House is as a guest.Wait and see.

The same Trump hate and fear that causes people like you to support Trump will cause a lot of other people to vote against him.

Spoken like that good little liberal soldier indoctrinated in that entitlement mentality

I accept your admission that you can't back up your own statements.

Thanks for coming around to seeing things my way and confessing that you have nothing behind your bluster.

Your problem is you ignore what Hillary has done while projecting what you think Trump will or will not do. That is the definition of insanity, putting the same type person in the WH and expecting different results. There is no way that either Reagan or JFK would vote for Hillary and you have offered no viable alternative to Trump

Knowing what I know right this minute, there is not a chance in hell I'd ever, ever consider voting for Hillary.
Rigged elections aren't cool.

I never advocated voting for Hillary.... I was only discussing the Washington Post op/ed about Trump.

Rigged elections?

I was a JFK Democrat and a Reagan Republican. I will go through fire and storms to work towards keeping that habitual liar and incompetent Hillary out of the WH. Trump wasn't my choice but he is a better alternative and not beholden to anyone. Anyone that pisses off the Establishment Democrats and Republicans has my support
Trump offers nothing of substance and has very many ideas that if implemented would cause inflation, restrict individual freedom, and trample the Constitution which I DO believe in. His policies, if you can even call them that are narcissistic, and driven by the desire to promote his own "Brand" or image. He's never worked a menial job, or suffered financially a day in his life so I fail to see how he can relate to the working-class at all. What he has is a lot of anger and a bunch of claims of how awesome he is and what he can accomplish just because it's "him". You consider yourself to be a conservative and yet Trump has lived the vast majority of his life supporting many liberal ideologies. He said Planned Parenthood was a good organization. He does not stand behind Christian values...although he conveniently claims to be a Christian all of a sudden even though he also said he's never had any need to repent nor to ask for forgiveness. He speaks like a tyrant....an authoritarian dictator who acts as if the constitution is just another one of his "deals" to be manipulated. He'll simply suspend habeas corpus and the bill of rights and round people up and start deporting them on a whim. He'd authorize the targeting of Muslim families to be killed in the Middle East...basically ordering US troops to commit war crimes. He's now saying we should not go the aid of our NATO allies should they come under attack...so he's essentially scrapping 60 years of diplomacy. He didn't even know what the nuclear triad was and yet he'd have control over our nuclear program. He says he doesn't read books, but says the national Enquirer is a "newsworthy paper" and has often quoted it. He tweets pictures of opponents' wives in a derogatory manner and defends his actions. Makes fun of the disabled and defends his actions. Says a judge should be disqualified because "he's Mexican" when he was actually born in America, and defends his actions. He's threatened to punish political opponents for not endorsing him by not letting them run for office again. And you're absolutely certain this is who you want??? Amazing!

I could go on for days, and days.......yet you amazingly, see nothing wrong with any of this. You're more frightened of liberal Hillary who got caught lying?

A Trump World frightens me....greatly. If he is elected, I pray your gamble pays off. I may be a cynic and I hope I am wrong should he win......but I see no hope in Trump....only misery in the end.

Your problem is you ignore what Hillary has done
while projecting what you think Trump will or will not do.
That is the definition of insanity, putting the same type person in the WH and expecting different results. There is no way that either Reagan or JFK would vote for Hillary and you have offered no viable alternative to Trump

Trump will do nothing because he won't be in the White House.

But keep dreaming.

Trump offers nothing of substance and has very many ideas that if implemented would cause inflation, restrict individual freedom, and trample the Constitution which I DO believe in. His policies, if you can even call them that are narcissistic, and driven by the desire to promote his own "Brand" or image. He's never worked a menial job, or suffered financially a day in his life so I fail to see how he can relate to the working-class at all. What he has is a lot of anger and a bunch of claims of how awesome he is and what he can accomplish just because it's "him". You consider yourself to be a conservative and yet Trump has lived the vast majority of his life supporting many liberal ideologies. He said Planned Parenthood was a good organization. He does not stand behind Christian values...although he conveniently claims to be a Christian all of a sudden even though he also said he's never had any need to repent nor to ask for forgiveness. He speaks like a tyrant....an authoritarian dictator who acts as if the constitution is just another one of his "deals" to be manipulated. He'll simply suspend habeas corpus and the bill of rights and round people up and start deporting them on a whim. He'd authorize the targeting of Muslim families to be killed in the Middle East...basically ordering US troops to commit war crimes. He's now saying we should not go the aid of our NATO allies should they come under attack...so he's essentially scrapping 60 years of diplomacy. He didn't even know what the nuclear triad was and yet he'd have control over our nuclear program. He says he doesn't read books, but says the national Enquirer is a "newsworthy paper" and has often quoted it. He tweets pictures of opponents' wives in a derogatory manner and defends his actions. Makes fun of the disabled and defends his actions. Says a judge should be disqualified because "he's Mexican" when he was actually born in America, and defends his actions. He's threatened to punish political opponents for not endorsing him by not letting them run for office again. And you're absolutely certain this is who you want??? Amazing!

I could go on for days, and days.......yet you amazingly, see nothing wrong with any of this. You're more frightened of liberal Hillary who got caught lying?

A Trump World frightens me....greatly. If he is elected, I pray your gamble pays off. I may be a cynic and I hope I am wrong should he win......but I see no hope in Trump....only misery in the end.

That is your opinion but the reality is you have no idea what Trump policies would do but want to speculate. We know what we have with Hillary who has definitely trampled the Constitution. The fear of the unknown is what liberals do as apparently the status quo is ok with you.

For someone who claims to understand civics you show very little evidence of that. We do have three equal branches of govt. that will not allow what you claim will happen to happen. How anyone can vote for Hillary with her incompetence is the most scary of all. We are on a path to destruction with a 19.2 trillion dollar debt, political correctness run amuck, a dangerous world, an entitlement mentality. That has to change and it won't with Hillary.

One more thing, are you happy with the way things are today with a 19.2 trillion dollar debt, 6 million Americans employed part time for economic reasons, a stagnant GDP, over 40 million Americans on Food stamps, over 100 million Americans on some form of food stamps, illegal immigration at historic highs, a world that is more dangerous than when Obama took office, and of course I could go on as well

So although we are not voting for Obama name for me the link between Obama and those results?? Yes, you got it, Hillary, an incompetent, habitual liar and yet you are scared of Trump? Why aren't you scared of the results we have generated over the past 7 years and then focus on change, real change by not putting another politician in the WH?

One more thing, are you happy with the way things are today with a 19.2 trillion dollar debt, 6 million Americans employed part time for economic reasons, a stagnant GDP, over 40 million Americans on Food stamps, over 100 million Americans on some form of food stamps, illegal immigration at historic highs, a world that is more dangerous than when Obama took office, and of course I could go on as well

So although we are not voting for Obama name for me the link between Obama and those results?? Yes, you got it, Hillary, an incompetent, habitual liar and yet you are scared of Trump? Why aren't you scared of the results we have generated over the past 7 years and then focus on change, real change by not putting another politician in the WH?

You fail to either see or admit any of the problems with Trump's character or proposals. Pig-headed voters are what actually scare me the most.

I'm one of those rare people who believes that America is still pretty darn great and doesn't need some wannabe tyrant to completely "RE-MAKE" it great again. Enjoy your Kool-Aid and good day to you sir. God bless.

That is your opinion but the reality is you have no idea what Trump policies would do but want to speculate. We know what we have with Hillary who has definitely trampled the Constitution. The fear of the unknown is what liberals do as apparently the status quo is ok with you.

For someone who claims to understand civics you show very little evidence of that. We do have three equal branches of govt. that will not allow what you claim will happen to happen. How anyone can vote for Hillary with her incompetence is the most scary of all. We are on a path to destruction with a 19.2 trillion dollar debt, political correctness run amuck, a dangerous world, an entitlement mentality. That has to change and it won't with Hillary.
Everything I stated was a fact based on what your man-god has either said or done. Please refute any of them if you can....you cant. Hell you cant even admit that any of his ideas are not only impossible to do....but that they're borderline insane. You just repeat the same old crap that all the other Trump zombies do....."We know what we're getting with Hillary.....blah,blah...." No we don't. That's BS and you know it.

And there are ways around the system of checks and balances. Executive orders are quite broad these days. I suggest you go and read Mein Kampf....or perhaps a couple of Adolf Hitler's speeches from the early 1930's. Wake up man.

Anyone who's afraid of Donald Trump is probably afraid of Santa Claus too ;-)

I have faith in the American people and firmly believe that most people know Right from Wrong,
and that most people will vote with their conscience and not some selfish personal agenda.

You fail to either see or admit any of the problems with Trump's character or proposals. Pig-headed voters are what actually scare me the most.

I'm one of those rare people who believes that America is still pretty darn great and doesn't need some wannabe tyrant to completely "RE-MAKE" it great again. Enjoy your Kool-Aid and good day to you sir. God bless.

I look at the Trump accomplishments, both good and bad, PLUS the fact that he isn't a politician which is what you seem to want. So you THINK America is great?? Do results matter to you or is it simply perception is reality in your world?

I feel very sorry for people like you who only buy rhetoric and ignore substance. you see the 19.2 trillion dollar debt, 6 million Americans who are working part time because of economic reasons, 500,000 discouraged workers, a 63% labor participation rate, historically high numbers on food stamps and dependent on other forms of Taxpayer assistance, a world on fire and a country less safe today than in 2008 doesn't resonate in your world because of your perception based upon nothing but the media spin.

Everything I stated was a fact based on what your man-god has either said or done. Please refute any of them if you can....you cant. Hell you cant even admit that any of his ideas are not only impossible to do....but that they're borderline insane. You just repeat the same old crap that all the other Trump zombies do....."We know what we're getting with Hillary.....blah,blah...." No we don't. That's BS and you know it.

And there are ways around the system of checks and balances. Executive orders are quite broad these days. I suggest you go and read Mein Kampf....or perhaps a couple of Adolf Hitler's speeches from the early 1930's. Wake up man.

No, you don't seem to get it, if you do what you always did you are always going to get the same results. Trump wasn't my choice but he sure in hell beats the alternative. You gave me speculation so how does anyone refute speculation about someone who never held public office? We know what Hillary has done and still you would put her in the WH? That is insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. What is it exactly that Trump has done that you base your dislike for him and a willingness to vote for Hillary?

I look at the Trump accomplishments, both good and bad, PLUS the fact that he isn't a politician which is what you seem to want. So you THINK America is great?? Do results matter to you or is it simply perception is reality in your world?

I feel very sorry for people like you who only buy rhetoric and ignore substance. you see the 19.2 trillion dollar debt, 6 million Americans who are working part time because of economic reasons, 500,000 discouraged workers, a 63% labor participation rate, historically high numbers on food stamps and dependent on other forms of Taxpayer assistance, a world on fire and a country less safe today than in 2008 doesn't resonate in your world because of your perception based upon nothing but the media spin.

People like me? I'm not sure what that implies, but no matter. It appears that with your limited knowledge of economics, you fail to see the big picture. Is public debt a problem? Of course it is. But in the greater scope it only matters as a ratio.....a percentage of GDP. The debt to GDP ratio has actually leveled or in some reports has actually dropped 2 points since 2014. It reached its highest at the end of World War II....a whopping 121%.

Based on your uninformed argument.....I guess you'd say America wasn't great in 1945 either??

No, you don't seem to get it, if you do what you always did you are always going to get the same results. Trump wasn't my choice but he sure in hell beats the alternative. You gave me speculation so how does anyone refute speculation about someone who never held public office? We know what Hillary has done and still you would put her in the WH? That is insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. What is it exactly that Trump has done that you base your dislike for him and a willingness to vote for Hillary?
He's said what he's said. How am I speculating on that? Its part of the public record now. I don't get your willingness to just look past that? What's the zipcode for your state of denial?

Did Trump say he'd use the military to target the families of suspected terrorists? Do you deny he said that? If not, you sincerely don't see any problem with that at all? That's a sincere question? I'm just trying to understand the mindset of die-hard Trump apologists here.

People like me? I'm not sure what that implies, but no matter. It appears that with your limited knowledge of economics, you fail to see the big picture. Is public debt a problem? Of course it is. But in the greater scope it only matters as a ratio.....a percentage of GDP. The debt to GDP ratio has actually leveled or in some reports has actually dropped 2 points since 2014. It reached its highest at the end of World War II....a whopping 121%.

Based on your uninformed argument.....I guess you'd say America wasn't great in 1945 either??

My limited knowledge of Economics? What do you think the current debt to GDP ratio is and why is that important in a private sector economy? Do you know what debt service is? what is the debt service on the 19.2 trillion dollar debt and where does it come from? What is the GDP today?

Before doing any more speculation suggest you think about what you post before hitting the enter key.

He's said what he's said. How am I speculating on that? Its part of the public record now. I don't get your willingness to just look past that? What's the zipcode for your state of denial?

Did Trump say he'd use the military to target the families of suspected terrorists? Do you deny he said that? If not, you sincerely don't see any problem with that at all? That's a sincere question? I'm just trying to understand the mindset of die-hard Trump apologists here.

Does it matter what he said or what he does? Why aren't you concerned about what Hillary said and what Hillary has done? Why do you have a problem with Trump defending this country by all means necessary. Do you truly believe that innocent civilians who are harboring ISIS are truly innocent? If those innocent civilians really cared they would do something about ISIS instead of trying to convert other countries into a Caliphate. I have no problem whatsoever being proactive to prevent another 9/11 or worse. Only in the liberal world do you react AFTER thousands of Americans are killed. I learned to be proactive instead of reactive. Are we safer today than when Obama took office?

My limited knowledge of Economics? What do you think the current debt to GDP ratio is and why is that important in a private sector economy? Do you know what debt service is? what is the debt service on the 19.2 trillion dollar debt and where does it come from? What is the GDP today?

Before doing any more speculation suggest you think about what you post before hitting the enter key.
I admitted it was a problem. And the debt to GDP ratio is hovering at around 101% today, obviously stagnating economic growth at the national level, However; I was merely pointing out that you were being intellectually dishonest in attempting to use only the National Debt to prove your argument that America is going to hell in a handbasket. There have been many points in our nations history that we ran a high deficit.....and no....its certainly not preferable....but sometimes necessary to maintain our safety, security, and high living standards. The 1940's and early 50's were an excellent example. So, America wasn't great in 1945, when at 121%, it was running the highest debt to GDP in our history?

I have another little pesky question for you. The Trumplodytes seem to believe their master when he says that he has a "plan" to pay for all of the things he's promised to do and at the same time, he's going to miraculously wipe out the deficit? The wall? Wipe out crime? Hunt down and deport millions? Wage war on foreign terrorists and wipe them out? These things require spending. The money has to come from somewhere.

Common sense 101: there are only 3 ways to pay for the "extras"....(1)raise taxes, (2) Borrow More, (3) Significantly cut spending somewhere else and reduce the size of government. Trump has provided no viable path to achieve any of the three.

Sorry, his numbers just don't add up. But hey......he's a businessman.......he'll just get it done! Right?

Does it matter what he said or what he does? Why aren't you concerned about what Hillary said and what Hillary has done? Why do you have a problem with Trump defending this country by all means necessary. Do you truly believe that innocent civilians who are harboring ISIS are truly innocent? If those innocent civilians really cared they would do something about ISIS instead of trying to convert other countries into a Caliphate. I have no problem whatsoever being proactive to prevent another 9/11 or worse. Only in the liberal world do you react AFTER thousands of Americans are killed. I learned to be proactive instead of reactive. Are we safer today than when Obama took office?
I have a problem with both of them. Unlike you however, I am not an apologist for either of the two. I make no excuses for their insanity or their corruption.

I admitted it was a problem. And the debt to GDP ratio is hovering at around 101% today, obviously stagnating economic growth at the national level, However; I was merely pointing out that you were being intellectually dishonest in attempting to use only the National Debt to prove your argument that America is going to hell in a handbasket. There have been many points in our nations history that we ran a high deficit.....and no....its certainly not preferable....but sometimes necessary to maintain our safety, security, and high living standards. The 1940's and early 50's were an excellent example. So, America wasn't great in 1945, when at 121%, it was running the highest debt to GDP in our history?

I have another little pesky question for you. The Trumplodytes seem to believe their master when he says that he has a "plan" to pay for all of the things he's promised to do and at the same time, he's going to miraculously wipe out the deficit? The wall? Wipe out crime? Hunt down and deport millions? Wage war on foreign terrorists and wipe them out? These things require spending. The money has to come from somewhere.

Common sense 101: there are only 3 ways to pay for the "extras"....(1)raise taxes, (2) Borrow More, (3) Significantly cut spending somewhere else and reduce the size of government. Trump has provided no viable path to achieve any of the three.

Sorry, his numbers just don't add up. But hey......he's a businessman.......he'll just get it done! Right?

What a novel idea, cutting the size of a 4.1 TRILLION dollar govt. That seems to be a real problem for the left for without dependent people there is no need for liberal bureaucrats.

Not sure what part of this you don't understand but the choice is Hillary or Trump. To me it is clear, Trump who is beholden to no one and has pissed off the establishment in both parties. Time for a change and I support that change

I have a problem with both of them. Unlike you however, I am not an apologist for either of the two. I make no excuses for their insanity or their corruption.

Sorry, but you are going to get one of them and my choice is Trump. Again the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. That is Hillary, same old same old, lying politician who is incompetent

I generally don't trust most forms of media these days, however, I read the article in its entirety and there's nothing in it that's been shown to be inaccurate or that was taken out of context. Sure it's an OpEd piece and there's nothing new in it, but it does do a good job of organizing those arguments for how a Trump presidency could threaten the Constitution.... based on his shady past and simply on the crazy things he's said since campaigning.

I would add the simple reality that Trump has no established constituency in government circles. The Democratic Party will not be the platform for a Trump agenda. If, for any reason, the GOP in the House and/or the Senate resists Trump's agenda, Trump will have no valve for changes but through the executive office. Combined with his statements, which cultivated a radical populism to be the expectation for his government, Trump will have every incentive to push the boundaries of Executive Statements, Orders, and other administrative rules.

Otherwise, you are looking at a puppet regime, controlled by Pence--which is also a constitutional issue. Liberals worried about Dick Cheney ought to wish for the return of the Bush administration, because Cheney was not given the keys to the administration like Trump has reportedly offered Kasich (and in turn, given to Pence).

Hillary Clinton's administration, albeit likely to be unremarkable if not touched by scandal, will probably be quite tame to a Trump administration.

I did read it which is why I said it was fiction and subjective. Seems everyone wants the same people over and over again expecting a different result. Trump is a lot more qualified and has actual accomplishments which you cannot say about Hillary

Being a Birther isn't a qualification...it's a mental problem.

Back
Top Bottom