• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WaPo calls for term limits for Supreme Court justices

You understand that in the context of a debate, your opinion that you're right is meaningless, right?

Of course you think you're right. I think you're wrong. Why should your feelings matter?

Non-sequitur.

I made no mention of "feelings," only "beliefs."

Things work as long as more people believe they are working properly than don't.

Things change when more people than not seek such change.

Wars, rebellions, and revolutions occur when enough people choose to fight for or against such change.

That is not "feelings," that is simply human history. :coffee:

What we need more so are age limits on both Congress, President and SCOTUS.
We also need the age minimums raised for all three branches.

For example, a 25 year old (rep) in this day and age is inevitably an imbecile.
This I agree with. I would also raise the age to vote.

I don't doubt the numbers. But they don't mean anything, in the context of this conversation.

That's what makes them non sequiturs.
The “don’t mean anything”? I disagree.

????
such hyperbolic dramatics lol

anyway when it comes to SCOTUS what I would like to see are some real genuine basic requirements, right now there arent any
Id say at least
Law degree
experience as a litigator for 5 years
experience as a sitting judge/magistrate for 7 years (at least 2 full years at a state level)
Minimum age 35

after that, if we are picking the right people, lean shouldn't be a factor and they should just be good at their jobs so limits don't much concern me. If its too small i think it could be MORE political and it shouldn't.

Now with that said I wouldn't fight against them of course but they could be something large as far as im concerned like 24 years (6 presidential terms) and a mandatory retirement age of 70.

now as far as term limits for congress, absolutely if we arent really going to take big money out of it which congress won't do bt I also doubt they will give themselves limits.
THis is what I like to see fixed. I have no clue how to fix it but IMO Congress shouldn't get to decide things that directly affect them like their salaries, their healthcare if its ONLY for them, their terms etc etc . . . whats their motivation to do it fairly. Its almost like we need another body that only deals with that stuff.

Anyway congress is a big job and it requires time, so I've changed views on this a few times. I think high turnover rate would hurt things because so many things would get back burnered or lost in the shuffle or money would magically get lost and we already do that now. So my limits would be big

Representatives 2 year terms, max 10 (20 yrs 5 presidential terms)
Senators 4 year terms, max 6 (24yrs 5 Presidential Terms)

what about a system that you cant be a member of the us congress without first being a member of state congress? good or bad? I think it would filter deals down to the people better.

oh yeah and if any of this went down those there now would be grandfathered into the old system.

meaning any politician or judge already past these limits can stay and those before these limits have the rules apply to them, Cant just magically boot probably like 50% of all congress and judges lol

Opinions, feelings and beliefs are all the same thing, most of the time.

Sophistry. :rolleyes:

The problem is that you believe that you represent people - when in fact you are just a person.

No. I believe I "represent" myself. I offer "opinions" on what I think and believe. I point to human nature and history for support, but it remains my "opinion" nonetheless.

However, as usual with your side of the argument, you choose to make the argument personal instead of "philosophical."

You are dismissed. :coffee:

No. I believe I "represent" myself. I offer "opinions" on what I think and believe. I point to human nature and history for support, but it remains my "opinion" nonetheless.

Ok. You are welcome to whatever feelings (or opinions) you want - but this is a discussion board. Your feelings (or opinions) aren't special. They are worth no more, and no less than anyone else's.

If you want to make a point, you need to support it with more than your feelings.

However, as usual with your side of the argument, you choose to make the argument personal instead of "philosophical."

You are dismissed. :coffee:

This looks like a cop-out to me, but on the off chance you're not posting in bad faith, I do apologize for hurting your feelings.

Otherwise, have a nice flounce!

I think the best chance of getting Congressional term limits into an amendment is to grandfather them in. Anyone who's been a Congressperson for even one minute by the time the amendment is ratified is exempt.

Even if it takes awhile, at some point you will have an entire Congress of term-limited Congresspeople.

Yeah it was good. :).

I don't think Congress should change it. They got it right.

Wanting congressional term limits is somewhat of a paradox anyhow. Polls say (link available on request) that the percentage of voters who support congressional term limits is in the high 80s and low 90s.

If so many people support term limits then why in the heck is the same overwhelming majority still voting the same people in term after term? It doesn't make sense.
Too many republicans put their party ahead of their own senses and put people like gaetz and marjorie q into office. Did I mention mr. cruz?

If so many people support term limits then why in the heck is the same overwhelming majority still voting the same people in term after term? It doesn't make sense.

Because a majority of Americans fully support their representatives. It's the other ones that need term limits.

Because a majority of Americans fully support their representatives. It's the other ones that need term limits.

If a majority support their representatives, then why do so many people support term limits?

I say term limits are a practical approach.

Voters should elect Judges to avoid conflict of interests

8 year term limits

Because they don't necessarily support the other 437 members of Congress.

Then who is voting for these other 437 members of Congress? The other 9 to 13 ish percent voters who don't support term limits? That would be an over representation.

Then who is voting for these other 437 members of Congress? The other 9 to 13 ish percent voters who don't support term limits? That would be an over representation.

Think about this.

Every member of Congress is elected by the citizens of their district.

Most people approve of their representative - but a vast majority disapprove of Congress as a whole.

Do you see why incumbents usually win?

Think about this.

Every member of Congress is elected by the citizens of their district.

Most people approve of their representative - but a vast majority disapprove of Congress as a whole.

Do you see why incumbents usually win?

I get what your're saying now.

Basically that the people who want congressional term limits only want term limits for other representatives but not their own.

American politics in a nutshell.

Thanks for your patience.

I think the best chance of getting Congressional term limits into an amendment is to grandfather them in. Anyone who's been a Congressperson for even one minute by the time the amendment is ratified is exempt.

Even if it takes awhile, at some point you will have an entire Congress of term-limited Congresspeople.

Which flies in the face of the founders intent.

Which flies in the face of the founders intent.

The founders wanted a country ruled by straight white rich men. Their intentions are not important any more.

using the Yahoo! link because WaPo is behind a paywall for many -

Washington Post calls for term limits for Supreme Court justices

Notice that WaPo isn't calling for Congressional term-limits.

Notice that Democrats aren't calling for Congressional term-limits.

Notice that WaPo and Democrats are looking for ways to hold absolute power.

Congressional reps can be voted out. SCOTUS judges can not.

Check out the Constitution sometime.

You're essentially affirming the obvious: congress critters are in it for the career benefits, contacts, power, and rags-to-riches dream come true.

The very reasons to argue FOR term limits.

I say term limits are a practical approach.

Voters should elect Judges to avoid conflict of interests

8 year term limits

Bring it on..........

You're essentially affirming the obvious: congress critters are in it for the career benefits, contacts, power, and rags-to-riches dream come true.

The very reasons to argue FOR term limits.

You're telling me what you want. I'm telling you what would make it possible to get there.

Back
Top Bottom