• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wanted to Share in My Celebration and Excitement

ClaraD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I am a female in a pretty much all male industry...however, I feel quite accomplished at this moment. I just passed my tests and I am now an official licensed contractor in the state of South Carolina! I plan on also being authorized in North Carolina as well, because we do jobs very close to Charlotte and I would like to also take on projects in that fast moving area. I am trying to find my niche and what I want to concentrate on us doing and not doing. I think roofing is almost a definate for us and carpentry. My husband wants to add flooring and electrical. I am leaning against doing foundation work, because it would require consultations with expensive structural engineers and may not turn profitable for us..it may be more beneficial to lean on others that specialize in this in our area to team up with for those contracts.
I am over excited, never planned on contracting being my profession, but it found me. I have always admired remodeling, historical structures and so forth...I am pretty positive that we are going to stick to structures that are greater than 50 years in age...yes, I know about the code night mares in these homes...that is what I love...so, what is a nightmare for others is my puzzle that I love putting together. We just finished the electrical upgrade in a home that was built in 1930. I paid a more experienced electrician to work with us and come follow our work and make sure we did everything correctly and met codes. He was essentially my advisor through the project and enjoyed teaching me tricks and how to understand what is passable and what is not. ...some things just cannot be brought to code, unless you rebuild the entire structure. The guy I worked with went into electric work straight out of high school. He now owns his own company and is 31. I didn't mind paying him..he said we are going to pass our electrical inspection with flying colors....which was a moment of celebration for me. I am very tired though...I have been sick for about 10 days and drug myself out of bed to follow the jobs, mask on even though I hate it. They pulled in an inflatable mattress so I could rest as work progressed and came to get me when they were completing each phase. My husband is pretty much in charge of the crew itself, but he leaves codes, final inspections, safety and what has to be done to me. He directs them into doing and completing the job and works side by side with them.
We still only have a small crew, only 3 employees, plus myself and my husband...but we are getting there slowly but surely.

Congratulations, that's great news.

In 2020, we can use all the good news we can get.

I am a female in a pretty much all male industry...however, I feel quite accomplished at this moment. I just passed my tests and I am now an official licensed contractor in the state of South Carolina! I plan on also being authorized in North Carolina as well, because we do jobs very close to Charlotte and I would like to also take on projects in that fast moving area. I am trying to find my niche and what I want to concentrate on us doing and not doing. I think roofing is almost a definate for us and carpentry. My husband wants to add flooring and electrical. I am leaning against doing foundation work, because it would require consultations with expensive structural engineers and may not turn profitable for us..it may be more beneficial to lean on others that specialize in this in our area to team up with for those contracts.
I am over excited, never planned on contracting being my profession, but it found me. I have always admired remodeling, historical structures and so forth...I am pretty positive that we are going to stick to structures that are greater than 50 years in age...yes, I know about the code night mares in these homes...that is what I love...so, what is a nightmare for others is my puzzle that I love putting together. We just finished the electrical upgrade in a home that was built in 1930. I paid a more experienced electrician to work with us and come follow our work and make sure we did everything correctly and met codes. He was essentially my advisor through the project and enjoyed teaching me tricks and how to understand what is passable and what is not. ...some things just cannot be brought to code, unless you rebuild the entire structure. The guy I worked with went into electric work straight out of high school. He now owns his own company and is 31. I didn't mind paying him..he said we are going to pass our electrical inspection with flying colors....which was a moment of celebration for me. I am very tired though...I have been sick for about 10 days and drug myself out of bed to follow the jobs, mask on even though I hate it. They pulled in an inflatable mattress so I could rest as work progressed and came to get me when they were completing each phase. My husband is pretty much in charge of the crew itself, but he leaves codes, final inspections, safety and what has to be done to me. He directs them into doing and completing the job and works side by side with them.
We still only have a small crew, only 3 employees, plus myself and my husband...but we are getting there slowly but surely.

Hats off. Congratulations. I used to work at a school for Home Inspectors and much of our clientele were former contractors. The ratio of men to women was indeed huge.

A great achievement indeed.

Hats off. Congratulations. I used to work at a school for Home Inspectors and much of our clientele were former contractors. The ratio of men to women was indeed huge.

A great achievement indeed.

thank you. I know I do not know it all by any means. My husband is actually the one who knows how to make things work...I am just teachable lol. He said he uses my eyes and I use his hands. I can walk into a house that is falling down around its frame and see what would make it beautiful...he started encouraging me to go to his jobs and his boss noticed that ability too..and they both encouraged me to move forward even though I am a woman and it is definately a men's profession. As I stare at my license from LLR SC Residential Builder's Commission...I almost cannot believe I passed the test. I do want to take some of the inspector courses too though...so I understand what an inspector is going to look for and make sure it is right the first time instead of just bull headedly following industry standard. I know word of mouth means everything in this industry..and I want to make sure we do things right the first time...time also means money. Thanks for your hats off...I didn't think I would pass the first time and thought I would be forever stuck at handyman status...lol. I am still very green though and I am not afraid to lean on advise of others....such as letting flooring acclimate to its environment before install...learn something new every day.

Congratulations, that's great news.

In 2020, we can use all the good news we can get.

Yes indeed...and I took the test dog sick on Aug 18. I got the passed news just a few days ago and my license was made current from Aug 19..I guess they date it to the day after you pass the test. It still is a scary industry at this moment...hopefully the economy holds for us all.

It is always a joy to hear someone's dreams come true. Hat's off to you, your husband, and your crew!

Congratulations!!

My only word of advice will be that all change orders be in writing. I don't care if the customer wants to change the color of their damned switch plates, get it in writing!

Late congratulations to you Clara, wishing you the best in your future and your career. :thumbs:

Late congratulations to you Clara, wishing you the best in your future and your career. :thumbs:

thank you...been a tough weekend and week...we had to work the whole way through...but the job that we are on now will be done late tomorrow or Wednesday...

for you posters here in the industry...what are your specialties and do you ever go outside of that comfort zone?

Congrats. Hope the contracting business works out well for you.

That's great news. Good luck to you both.

Rock Hill and York are growing markets.

Back
Top Bottom