• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Want to reduce the number of abortions? Here's how:

Imudman said:
First of all, I was just being a smart-aleck. I didn't mean anything other than a blob of cells wouldn't exist at all if you actually took every measure...

Uh, hello? The contraceptive pill has a 1 percent failure rate. Condoms break. Surely you don't think it's impossible for accidents to happen? :2razz:

vergiss said:
Uh, hello? The contraceptive pill has a 1 percent failure rate. Condoms break. Surely you don't think it's impossible for accidents to happen? :2razz:
No, I don't think it's impossible for accidents to happen. But there's one way that's fool proof. I don't need to explain any further. And remember, I was just being silly...

Imudman said:
No, I don't think it's impossible for accidents to happen. But there's one way that's fool proof. I don't need to explain any further. And remember, I was just being silly...

I don't know. Apparently, Mary got kind of gypped in that area.

vergiss said:
I don't know. Apparently, Mary got kind of gypped in that area.
Wow. I'm almost speechless. Gypped? Have you ever read the Magnificat?

Imudman said:
Wow. I'm almost speechless. Gypped? Have you ever read the Magnificat?

...The what?

vergiss said:
Mate, I was just being silly, too. :2razz:
Well alrighty then! :lol: Glad to hear a little levity on the thread. Later...;)

vergiss said:
Whatever you think. Fact is, I'm not having a baby until I want to, and no amount of guilt-tripping or "But so and so had six kids before 18 and is now the head of Microsoft!" is going to convince me otherwise.

I'm on the Pill. I take responsibility and all the necessary precautions before having sex. Should the unforeseeable happen, I don't owe anything to a blob of cells that I took every measure to prevent from existing.

I know it won't convince you, I'm not trying to. I am just showing your justifications are void because others have triumphed with those same circumstances. No matter how many precautions you take, you still engaged in an act willingly that has the purpose of reproduction.

They're not "void" because some others have done well in similar circumstances. I'm sure there are just as many who've failed in those circumstances. What works for one will not necessarily work for everyone else.

It's incredibly judgmental and self-righteous of you to say such a thing.

vergiss said:
They're not "void" because some others have done well in similar circumstances. I'm sure there are just as many who've failed in those circumstances. What works for one will not necessarily work for everyone else.

It's incredibly judgmental and self-righteous of you to say such a thing.

There are people who have done well and those who have failed, therefore to use those reasons as justification is in fact void, since it is not the same result everytime. You yourself said one of your reasons was because your boyfriend would leave, but then you say you don't know what would have happened. Your own words prove my point.

It is not judgemental or self-righteous, it is the truth. Did you or did you not willingly engage in such an act? Just because you don't like it being said doesn't mean it isn't true.

Firstly, they're as valid as reasons that anyone makes regarding anything before they know what will happen. No one can know what can happen before it does, save for possessing psychic powers. You just have to make an educated guess based on reasons for or against and go with what you believe to be best.

I wasn't talking about what you said regarding my sexual activity being the reason you were self-righteous and judgmental, but your incorrect declaration that my reasons were void.

vergiss said:
Firstly, they're as valid as reasons that anyone makes regarding anything before they know what will happen. No one can know what can happen before it does, save for possessing psychic powers. You just have to make an educated guess based on reasons for or against and go with what you believe to be best.

I wasn't talking about what you said regarding my sexual activity being the reason you were self-righteous and judgmental, but your incorrect declaration that my reasons were void.

Who needs psychic powers. It is a simple concept. You either determine the outcome of your circumstances or you let your circumstances determine the outcome of your life. It is not just for some, it is for all who want it that way. But it takes a determined attitude to be a master of your circumstances and not let them be the master of you.

blogger31 said:
Who needs psychic powers. It is a simple concept. You either determine the outcome of your circumstances or you let your circumstances determine the outcome of your life. It is not just for some, it is for all who want it that way. But it takes a determined attitude to be a master of your circumstances and not let them be the master of you.

You know, that could easily be applied to the "have-an-abortion" side of the argument, too. I could let the circumstance of pregnancy determine the outcome of my life - or determine the outcome of that circumstance.

vergiss said:
You know, that could easily be applied to the "have-an-abortion" side of the argument, too. I could let the circumstance of pregnancy determine the outcome of my life - or determine the outcome of that circumstance.

If you think killing another human is determining the outcome of the circumstance that argument could apply to many other situations that you would not agree with. I am talking about determining the outcome in a positive way, I don't see the death of a human as positive.

blogger31 said:
If you think killing another human is determining the outcome of the circumstance that argument could apply to many other situations that you would not agree with. I am talking about determining the outcome in a positive way, I don't see the death of a human as positive.

That's fine, because it isn't one.

vergiss said:
That's fine, because it isn't one.

So you admit abortion is not positive, but you clearly stand behind it for lame reasons.

Rather, I was talking about how it's not the killing of another person.

vergiss said:
Rather, I was talking about how it's not the killing of another person.

Actually I said the death of a human, is it still not the death of another human?

Death, killing, same bloody thing. :lol:

blogger31 said:
Actually I said the death of a human, is it still not the death of another human?
There is no individual human being before birth.

steen said:
There is no individual human being before birth.

Are you saying the fetus is not human?

blogger31 said:
Are you saying the fetus is not human?
I am saying it is not an individual. I am saying that your revisionist linguistic prolife hyperbole is misleading and deceptive.

steen said:
I am saying it is not an individual. I am saying that your revisionist linguistic prolife hyperbole is misleading and deceptive.

Its unique DNA makes it an individual.

jimmyjack said:
Its unique DNA makes it an individual.
Well, THAT is interesting. That means that a hydatidiform mole is an individual. And it means that when DNA mutates into new cells, then they are individual (ie. tumors)

Individuality is a physical existence. DNA is merely proteins and sugars. Individual DNA doesn't cause individuality in cells plugged into the woman's circulatory system any more than the liver is an individual.

Back
Top Bottom