• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Want to be class president? Not if you're black, in one Miss. school

stunningly backwards
appears the schools system needs a new superintendent ... who doesn't have to be black, but one who will not tolerate this jim crow crap

If you actually read the article, it's a bit more complicated than the "Jim Crow" spin to this. You could just as easily make an argument that it's about racial quotas.

Either way it's bad, stupid, and needs an end put to it, but it's absolutely not what you're trying to portray it as -- something against blacks and only blacks.

If you actually read the article, it's a bit more complicated than the "Jim Crow" spin to this. You could just as easily make an argument that it's about racial quotas.

Either way it's bad, stupid, and needs an end put to it, but it's absolutely not what you're trying to portray it as -- something against blacks and only blacks.

ah ... so now 'racial quotas' are a good thing
remember that in future threads

ah ... so now 'racial quotas' are a good thing
remember that in future threads

You can "remember" it, but if you claim I said it, then you would simply be lying. Blatantly so.

This is wrong.
However the headline could just as easily been

Want to be a School Reporter? Not if you're White in this School.

I wonder why they decided to go in the direction they did.? hmmmm...
Could it be that the media is constantly trying to paint whites as racist?

This should be in Media Bias

You can "remember" it, but if you claim I said it, then you would simply be lying. Blatantly so.

let's examine YOUR words:
jim crow - that would be bad
instead, it could be quotas - which would not be bad

nope. you said it, you own it

Individual racism will always exist. But the mere fact that the school is reviewing it's policies and that this is deemed unacceptable by the populace is glaring evidence of accepted institutionalized discrimination being a thing of the past.

Not sure what it's reasons are for only allowing blacks to be reporters, or whites to be president, and all of the other strange combinations they have per grade. But it seems the discrimination was going multiple ways.

let's examine YOUR words:
jim crow - that would be bad
instead, it could be quotas - which would not be bad

nope. you said it, you own it

Gosh, let's look at the very next line, which you conveniently and dishonestly left out:

You "own" your dishonesty, even if you won't own UP to it.

Gosh, let's look at the very next line, which you conveniently and dishonestly left out:

You "own" your dishonesty, even if you won't own UP to it.

it is not jim crow, you insist, it may instead be quotas, which are ... "not what you're trying to portray it as -- something against blacks and only blacks. "

never mind that in NO instance is a black eligible to run for, much less be elected to, the office of class president

why would anyone assume that outcome would be something against blacks ... in mississippi

how very "honest" of you to refuse to recognize that bias against the black students ... only because of their race. if that is what you deem as "honesty" i want no part of it

Last edited:
it is not jim crow, you insist, it may instead be quotas, which are ... "not what you're trying to portray it as -- something against blacks and only blacks. "

never mind that in NO instance is a black eligible to run for, much less be elected to, the office of class president

why would anyone assume that outcome would be something against blacks ... in mississippi

how very "honest" of you to refuse to recognize that bias against the black students ... only because of their race. if that is what you deem as "honesty" i want no part of it

And no white person is allowed to run for some of the other offices. I wonder if they consider asians, latinos, native americans, middle eastern, etc "white" or "black" for the purposes of student council and homecoming? Appears they're not allowed to hold any office or run for homecoming queen/king.

So yeah, not just one type of discrimination going on, but rather multiple.

You are simply piling on with the dishonesty. Riv pointed out how.

This was a real important piece of the article you left out, that pretty much explains, WHY THIS IS NOT EVEN A NEWS ISSUE.

From the article:

"...According to the district's statement, reported by WTVA, the practice had been in use for more than 30 years with whites and blacks rotating among offices annually..."

Where is the racism? It sounds to me like this district is giving both whites and blacks mandatory positions within the school. But since Little Betty Crocker can't do it this year, she has to throw a temper tantrum and her mommy, who obviously spoils her brat child and can't tell her no, runs off at the mouth about nothing b/c she has nothing better to do with her time but to get all enraged over nothing.

Racism? Nope. Stupid, dumb policy? Yeah.

This was a real important piece of the article you left out, that pretty much explains, WHY THIS IS NOT EVEN A NEWS ISSUE.

From the article:

Where is the racism? It sounds to me like this district is giving both whites and blacks mandatory positions within the school. But since Little Betty Crocker can't do it this year, she has to throw a temper tantrum and her mommy, who obviously spoils her brat child and can't tell her no, runs off at the mouth about nothing b/c she has nothing better to do with her time but to get all enraged over nothing.

Racism? Nope. Stupid, dumb policy? Yeah.

Um, why should race have a factor in it at all? Yes it's racism, against just about every race it seems. It's horrible and wrong, and the policy should be removed.

You really should have read all of your OP before inserting foot.

According to a memo sent home with students last week, African-American students could not run for class president in Nettleton Middle School this school year. However, the board voted at an emergency session Friday to drop that policy, according to Craig Ford, a reporter with the NBC News affiliate WTVA, who attended the meeting.

According to the district's statement, the practice had been in use for more than 30 years with whites and blacks rotating among offices annually.

It was an "Affirmative Action" policy...... now it will be just who is most popular that can run and win. Good job that the "Affirmative Action" policy will be tossed.

Last edited:
Um, why should race have a factor in it at all? Yes it's racism, against just about every race it seems. It's horrible and wrong, and the policy should be removed.

Race shouldn't be a factor, I agree. But it wasn't racist. They were just alternating each year who could or couldn't be whatever position the school had. You can't call it racist, when they are including everybody at some point in the process, even if it is an annual policy. Is it stupid? Sure it is, its affirmative action run amok. Its a policy that has been going strong since 1980.

I don't see it being racist though. Its forced affirmative action and quesi-equality if its anything.

Why not just let them pick and choose like any other school? Who knows. It was a policy that got overturned.

Race shouldn't be a factor, I agree. But it wasn't racist. They were just alternating each year who could or couldn't be whatever position the school had. You can't call it racist, when they are including everybody at some point in the process, even if it is an annual policy. Is it stupid? Sure it is, its affirmative action run amok. Its a policy that has been going strong since 1980.

I don't see it being racist though. Its forced affirmative action and quesi-equality if its anything.

Why not just let them pick and choose like any other school? Who knows. It was a policy that got overturned.

The old policy was racist..... one year it was racist against Blacks, the next year it was racist against whites. (yes, things can be racist against whites...... one only has to look as far as the current "Affirmative Action" laws to see it)

It is racist because they are rotating the available positions between the races. It's racist to everybody.

It is racist because they are rotating the available positions between the races. It's racist to everybody.

Would you be in favor of abolishing Affirmative action?

That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. It's racist, b/c they are rotating the positions on an annual basis? So in other words, they are including everybody, so that makes it racist every other year???

Wouldn't racism be, never allowing 1 group or the other to be in a position ever through school policy? I see affirmative action being implimented, but I don't see where its racist. Convaluted yes, but not racist, as every other year the other race gets all the accolades.

Look, I could really care less about this, its stupid to begin with, b/c its school positions, that really don't mean squat or have any real significant importance in life to begin with. It is dumb to me, that this policy has been around for 30 years, just as its dumb to me, that people are calling it racist in nature.

Welcome to the public school system.

Just another reason why I homeschool my kids.

What a stupid policy. I would have run and if I was elected President resigned making the Vice-President the new President.

Would you be in favor of abolishing Affirmative action?

People should be hired based on their skills. The best should get chosen for the position they are hoping to get. Though I do think that minorities should be protected from discrimination. If Affirmative action an affective program to do that, I don't know. To be honest I haven't really looked into the situation.

Back
Top Bottom