• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Walmart will cover 100% of college tuition

Do you think this will benefit Walmart?

• Yes, educating their employees will help them in the long run

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No, they'll leave as soon as they get the degree.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Walmart will pay for full college tuition and book costs at some schools for its U.S. workers, the latest effort by the largest private employer in the country to sweeten its benefits as it seeks to attract and retain talent in a tight job market.

The program includes 10 academic partners ranging from the University of Arizona to Southern New Hampshire University. Participants must remain part-time or full-time employees at Walmart to be eligible.

The company said Tuesday that it will drop a previous $1 a day fee paid by Walmart and Sam's Club workers who want to earn a degree and also begin covering the costs of their books. Around 28,000 workers participate in the program, which Walmart began in 2018. Walmart has around 1.5 million workers.

"We feel that eliminating the dollar a day investment removes the financial barriers to enrollment, and it will increase access," Lorraine Stomski, senior vice president of learning and leadership at Walmart, said on a call with reporters Tuesday.

I would've taken advantage of the Walmart program back in the day. Stock shelves at night and go to school in the day.

I'm not so sure all that many Walmart workers are "college material". But good for the ones that are. I suspect this is as much a public relations move as it is an attempt to change the workforce. I've always liked Walmart because they employ people no mom and pop shop ever would. Ever been in there at around two in the morning? Good place if you like tats. Not a lot of "college material" workers in there, though....not very many customers who are college material either. Lots of old people working there now, and not just at the door. They probably won't be heading off to college any time soon. I love walking around shopping at Walmart watching the workers and customers. Where else can you feel superior just by being there.....

I'm not so sure all that many Walmart workers are "college material". But good for the ones that are. I suspect this is as much a public relations move as it is an attempt to change the workforce. I've always liked Walmart because they employ people no mom and pop shop ever would. Ever been in there at around two in the morning? Good place if you like tats. Not a lot of "college material" workers in there, though....not very many customers who are college material either. Lots of old people working there now, and not just at the door. They probably won't be heading off to college any time soon. I love walking around shopping at Walmart watching the workers and customers. Where else can you feel superior just by being there.....

They might get a bunch of college kids working their way through school.

I took advantage of the tuition reimbursement program offered by the Singer corporation in the 1970’s. They did not cover book costs or lab fees, but paid back 100% of course tuition for a grade of A or B and 75% for a grade of C. They also let me work the 4pm to midnight shift (which paid 10% more) so that I could take daytime classes.

Wal-Mart has really evolved over the last 10 years. They used to be on my " no go" list but the changes they have made to benefits, salaries and now this is admirable.....

I hope that this is as good as it sounds.

It will attract people to work there. Some may stay and benefit the company. Some will leave. All of society benefits from a good education.

My dad benefited from a scholarship from a local company in the 70s to propel his career.

Seriously, have you been at Walmart at two in the morning? :giggle:

Back on topic...
I have NO problems with employers who offer their employees incentives to better themselves.

Kudos to Walmart for this program. This leg up will benefit the employees and their families who will in turn be able to enter the middle class, accumulate wealth. By providing the employees with an education and better opportunities their children, a new generation, will not not be born into poverty.

This announcement doesn't make me frequent the store more or less.
It may just be a publicity stunt, but if it is a catalyst for even just a few workers, why not?

Walmart will pay for full college tuition and book costs at some schools for its U.S. workers, the latest effort by the largest private employer in the country to sweeten its benefits as it seeks to attract and retain talent in a tight job market.

The program includes 10 academic partners ranging from the University of Arizona to Southern New Hampshire University. Participants must remain part-time or full-time employees at Walmart to be eligible.

The company said Tuesday that it will drop a previous $1 a day fee paid by Walmart and Sam's Club workers who want to earn a degree and also begin covering the costs of their books. Around 28,000 workers participate in the program, which Walmart began in 2018. Walmart has around 1.5 million workers.

"We feel that eliminating the dollar a day investment removes the financial barriers to enrollment, and it will increase access," Lorraine Stomski, senior vice president of learning and leadership at Walmart, said on a call with reporters Tuesday.

I would've taken advantage of the Walmart program back in the day. Stock shelves at night and go to school in the day.

It's actually a win-win from my perspective. They will attract better employees this way, and the employee gets a benefit that might otherwise be about of reach for them.

Wal-Mart has really evolved over the last 10 years. They used to be on my " no go" list but the changes they have made to benefits, salaries and now this is admirable.....
And all this time, they were one of the few places you could find "Made in the USA" products, but were blamed for carring goods from China, like every one elese did.

Agreed... and it is their duty... None of the Walmart kids deserve 20 BILLION ****ING DOLLARS EACH... it is ridiculous.
This announcement doesn't make me frequent the store more or less.
It may just be a publicity stunt, but if it is a catalyst for even just a few workers, why not?
The store is OK for some items but I have never found it to be the pain in the ass trash shopper experience that so many complain about.

Seriously, have you been at Walmart at two in the morning? :giggle:

Back on topic...
I have NO problems with employers who offer their employees incentives to better themselves.
I often work at night when the weather is around 100 degrees. Walmart is open 24/7 so I make the most of it. I also have no problem with employers paying tuition. I got through college with my employer paying most of the tab; it's called the GI Bill.

I'm not so sure all that many Walmart workers are "college material". But good for the ones that are.
I'm not sure they are 3rd grade material. Have you been in a Walmart lately? Last time I was in Walmart the only smart person I encountered was the cashier who rang up my items.... I was in the self checkout.

I suspect this is as much a public relations move as it is an attempt to change the workforce. I've always liked Walmart because they employ people no mom and pop shop ever would.

Maybe if by "mom and pop" you mean Ma Barker and P.T. Barnum.

Ever been in there at around two in the morning? Good place if you like tats. Not a lot of "college material" workers in there, though....not very many customers who are college material either.

It is like another planet. It always worries me if Walmart is actually "America's Store'. If it is, we are doomed.

Lots of old people working there now, and not just at the door. They probably won't be heading off to college any time soon.

When my kids were 3 and 5 they kept bothering me to take them to the zoo. Since it was summer and hot, and I didn't want be sweaty and have to smell poo, I took them to Walmart and told them it was the "indoor zoo". They didn't know the difference at that age, and it was an easy con because all Walmart people smell like poo anyway.

Afterwards I bought them both a ice cream cone, and they were happy. Plus I picked up some fishing bait, and a 20 gallon bag of cheese puffs while I was there.

I love walking around shopping at Walmart watching the workers and customers. Where else can you feel superior just by being there.....

You mean besides jury duty?

Back
Top Bottom