• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Walmart pulling Juneteenth themed products from shelves after social media backlash

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Walmart is pulling Juneteenth-themed products from its shelves after receiving backlash on social media from users who suggested the company was attempting to profit off of the federal holiday.

Walmart received a negative response from many users on social media over products, including red velvet and cheesecake flavored ice cream, that came with a label saying, "Share and celebrate African-American culture, emancipation and enduring hope," KTBC-TV reported this week.

The ice cream was labeled in honor of Juneteenth, which celebrates the freeing of enslaved Black people after the Civil War. It was established as a federal holiday last year by President Joe Biden.

Do you think the products should be removed? Thoughts?

I don't have a problem with the products, from the article it's seems like black people are the ones wanting the products pulled.

There's just no way to win. If you ignore juneteenth you're racist, if you advertise it then you are "profiting off slavery"

Walmart is pulling Juneteenth-themed products from its shelves after receiving backlash on social media from users who suggested the company was attempting to profit off of the federal holiday.

Walmart received a negative response from many users on social media over products, including red velvet and cheesecake flavored ice cream, that came with a label saying, "Share and celebrate African-American culture, emancipation and enduring hope," KTBC-TV reported this week.

The ice cream was labeled in honor of Juneteenth, which celebrates the freeing of enslaved Black people after the Civil War. It was established as a federal holiday last year by President Joe Biden.

For "profit off the federal holiday" Umm, like every single holiday in this country?

Another stupid one is people whining and complaining on twitter, say it ain't so!

I still don't get sweetest day, when we already have February 14th

Why would a big store like walmart bend over this? Interesting move. I want to say they normally don't give a shit what the general public think.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to market cheesecake ice cream as a Juneteenth item is a dolt.

"Share and celebrate African-American culture, emancipation and enduring hope" was a label on ice cream. Come on.

Why would a big store like walmart bend over this? Interesting move. I want to say they normally don't give a shit what the general public think.
You would be wrong. I’m of the age group that remembers Walmart only selling edited versions of parental warning labeled music. They cave on a lot of issues but get the headline for the ones they don’t as it gives pe a reason to hate on them for a little.

If they were making decent money on this product then they would have told the noisemakers to pound sand.

There are probably ways to show support for the causes behind making Juneteenth a holiday other than naming a new ice cream flavor after it.

Let the market decide. If people wish to purchase these products what's the harm in providing these products to willing consumers.

What's wrong with Walmart (or anybody else) profiting off something?

Regardless of what you may have been told Capitalism is not a sin.

Because it's not what the "general public" thinks.

It's because it's what the "most powerful group of folks" in this country thinks.

And in 2022, everyone is terrified of angering them.

So just as Nancy kneeled in obedience, so did Walmart.

The only way this holiday is going to gain acceptance is by people profiting off of it. It’s the main difference between the cool federal holidays and the lame federal holidays. We need to celebrate these things with burgers and beer, not community service.

Money making days from
Valentine's day to Halloween, from Memorial Day to New Year.

Walmart profits from July 4th, Labor Day, Presidents, Thanksgiving, and Memorial Day. I didn't hear them complaining about that.

The problem is that the bigots at Walmart don't like to have the idea that blacks gained freedom and their own racism thrown in their faces in such an obvious manner as Juneteenth.

images

I don't have a problem with the products, from the article it's seems like black people are the ones wanting the products pulled.
That's only because you read an article from FoxNews.

If you'd read about the issue from almost any LEGITIMATE news organization, you'd have learned that the "outrage" is because Walmart's "Juneteenth Ice Cream" flavor is LITERALLY a stolen flavor from a popular black-owned ice cream company (called "Creamalicious Ice Cream"). It's the fastest growing ice cream brand in the U.S. right now, and it's owned and operated by a black chef named Elizabeth Rogers.

The "problem" was this:

Rogers has been trying for 4 years to get her brand (Creamalicious Ice Cream) picked up by national grocery store brands like Walmart, Target, etc. Target quickly started carrying Creamalicious brand, where it has become a best-seller. But Walmart refused....for 4 years. To add to the insult, Walmart LITERALLY stole one of Creamalicious' most popular flavors (i.e. Red Velvet Cheese Cake)....renamed it "Juneteenth Celebration Flavor"....and tried to pass it off as a "celebration of Juneteenth".

THAT was "the problem". Walmart tried to undercut and exploit the black-owned Ice Cream company.

Walmart agreed to withdraw the copied flavor AND start carrying the Creamalicious Ice Cream brand, in response to the outrage from the public.

There's just no way to win. If you ignore juneteenth you're racist, if you advertise it then you are "profiting off slavery"
:rolleyes:....this is the kind of pathetic stuff that only comes from conservatives.

There was NO ONE preparing to call Walmart "racist" if they did NOT steal a flavor from Creamalicious Ice Cream and try to sell it as a "Juneteenth Flavor". No one.

Just stop with the fake victimhood stuff. It's pathetic.

Walmart, a company that pays so little to their workers that many are eligible for govt benefits (I thought conservatives didn't believe in picking winners?), kneels to social pressure? I doubt it.

I just hope that people who believe Juneteenth is an important date take their dollars elsewhere.

That's only because you read an article from FoxNews.

If you'd read about the issue from almost any LEGITIMATE news organization, you'd have learned that the "outrage" is because Walmart's "Juneteenth Ice Cream" flavor is LITERALLY a stolen flavor from a popular black-owned ice cream company (called "Creamalicious Ice Cream"). It's the fastest growing ice cream brand in the U.S. right now, and it's owned and operated by a black chef named Elizabeth Rogers.

The "problem" was this:

Rogers has been trying for 4 years to get her brand (Creamalicious Ice Cream) picked up by national grocery store brands like Walmart, Target, etc. Target quickly started carrying Creamalicious brand, where it has become a best-seller. But Walmart refused....for 4 years. To add to the insult, Walmart LITERALLY stole one of Creamalicious' most popular flavors (i.e. Red Velvet Cheese Cake)....renamed it "Juneteenth Celebration Flavor"....and tried to pass it off as a "celebration of Juneteenth".

THAT was "the problem". Walmart tried to undercut and exploit the black-owned Ice Cream company.

Walmart agreed to withdraw the copied flavor AND start carrying the Creamalicious Ice Cream brand, in response to the outrage from the public.

:rolleyes:....this is the kind of pathetic stuff that only comes from conservatives.

There was NO ONE preparing to call Walmart "racist" if they did NOT steal a flavor from Creamalicious Ice Cream and try to sell it as a "Juneteenth Flavor". No one.

Just stop with the fake victimhood stuff. It's pathetic.

Stole the flavor? are you suggesting that until Creamalicious made it there was never a red velvet cake ice cream?

Stole the flavor? are you suggesting that until Creamalicious made it there was never a red velvet cake ice cream?
Red Velvet CHEESE cake ice cream.

And...YES, that's what I'm saying. There was never a red velvet cheesecake ice cream flavor until the Blissfully Southern Creamalicious Artisan Ice Cream Company (full name) created it. They are a small, boutique/gourmet ice cream manufacturer and only feature 7 extremely unique flavors in their entire arsenal. Their most popular/top selling flavor, Red Velvet Cheesecake is a flavor that was created by, and marketed by, the Owner/Chef/CEO of Creamalicious Ice Cream.

This is, btw, the "Ben and Jerry's" (quality over quantity) model. That's how Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream created their niche in the market...they created their own unique gourmet/boutique flavors, which created a loyal base of customers that preferred only specific Ben and Jerry flavors.

That owner/CEO of Creamalicious Ice Cream (i.e. an African-American chef named Elizabeth Rogers) met with Walmart execs multiple times to present her brand to the store in direct response to Walmart's public announcements that they were looking for more diversity in their brand lineup. In the meeting, she featured the Red Velvet Cheesecake flavor. Walmart turned her down, each time....and this year, quietly tried to introduce their own "Juneteenth" flavor ice cream (under the Walmart "Great Value" brand) this summer (which happened to be Red Velvet Cheesecake flavor).
3D_REDVEL_PROFILE_HIRES_3000x3000_8fe390de-811a-4966-a27e-8d276fe5dbf6_1024x10242x__48929.1615408723.220.290__86433.1618512017.png
FTYaAZHWUAM8yrh

Now, if you can't see the REAL "problem", there...I can't help you.

Beyond the obvious, blatant brand theft involved.....ask yourself this: Why would they steal THAT flavor.....and use THAT flavor to celebrate "Juneteenth"? There is nothing about "Red Velvet Cheesecake ice cream" that suggests "Juneteenth".......EXCEPT for the fact that the flavor is product of the most popular BLACK owned ice cream company in the country.

Walmart's actions reveal that they understood exactly what they were doing. That's why they pulled their stolen flavor from their shelves, and quickly cut a deal to start carrying the entire Creamalicious Ice Cream brand on their shelves.

Walmart, a company that pays so little to their workers that many are eligible for govt benefits (I thought conservatives didn't believe in picking winners?), kneels to social pressure? I doubt it.

I just hope that people who believe Juneteenth is an important date take their dollars elsewhere.
You do know Walmart pays like $15 an hour and if it wasn't for them subsiding the welfare state, we would be paying alot more in welfare? (No jobs)

Red Velvet CHEESE cake ice cream.

And...YES, that's what I'm saying. There was never a red velvet cheesecake ice cream flavor until the Blissfully Southern Creamalicious Artisan Ice Cream Company (full name) created it. They are a small, boutique/gourmet ice cream manufacturer and only feature 7 extremely unique flavors in their entire arsenal. Their most popular/top selling flavor, Red Velvet Cheesecake is a flavor that was created by, and marketed by, the Owner/Chef/CEO of Creamalicious Ice Cream.

This is, btw, the "Ben and Jerry's" (quality over quantity) model. That's how Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream created their niche in the market...they created their own unique gourmet/boutique flavors, which created a loyal base of customers that preferred only specific Ben and Jerry flavors.

That owner/CEO of Creamalicious Ice Cream (i.e. an African-American chef named Elizabeth Rogers) met with Walmart execs multiple times to present her brand to the store in direct response to Walmart's public announcements that they were looking for more diversity in their brand lineup. In the meeting, she featured the Red Velvet Cheesecake flavor. Walmart turned her down, each time....and this year, quietly tried to introduce their own "Juneteenth" flavor ice cream (under the Walmart "Great Value" brand) this summer (which happened to be Red Velvet Cheesecake flavor).
3D_REDVEL_PROFILE_HIRES_3000x3000_8fe390de-811a-4966-a27e-8d276fe5dbf6_1024x10242x__48929.1615408723.220.290__86433.1618512017.png
FTYaAZHWUAM8yrh

Now, if you can't see the REAL "problem", there...I can't help you.

Beyond the obvious, blatant brand theft involved.....ask yourself this: Why would they steal THAT flavor.....and use THAT flavor to celebrate "Juneteenth"? There is nothing about "Red Velvet Cheesecake ice cream" that suggests "Juneteenth".......EXCEPT for the fact that the flavor is product of the most popular BLACK owned ice cream company in the country.

Walmart's actions reveal that they understood exactly what they were doing. That's why they pulled their stolen flavor from their shelves, and quickly cut a deal to start carrying the entire Creamalicious Ice Cream brand on their shelves.

I guess you are going to say HEB stole it too

Screenshot_20220525-123012_Chrome.jpg

I guess you are going to say HEB stole it too
Yes, that's exactly right.

I'm well aware of HEB's version of it.....just as I'm aware of HEB's version of Homemade Vanilla (and any true Texan understands what that means).

HEB came out with their flavor in 2019. Creamalicious Ice Cream invented that flavor, and brought it to market in 2014.

And the primary difference there, of course, is that, in contrast to Walmart, HEB isn't trying to monetize the flavor as a "tribute" to Juneteenth, simply because it was created by an African-American owned company.

But it's hilarious to see you dodging all of the relevant facts in favor of a new white-victimhood/grievance narrative, with each new post. "There's just no way to win. If you ignore juneteenth you're racist, if you advertise it then you are "profiting off slavery"......my ass.....just a pathetic blend of ignorance and false-grievance. :ROFLMAO:

Care to try again?

Well that seems silly. I mean...we pretend to care about Cinco De mayo in order to drink (and sell ) beer...so why cant people pretend to care about Juneteenth?

Yes, that's exactly right.

I'm well aware of HEB's version of it.....just as I'm aware of HEB's version of Homemade Vanilla (and any true Texan understands what that means).

HEB came out with their flavor in 2019. Creamalicious Ice Cream invented that flavor, and brought it to market in 2014.

And the primary difference there, of course, is that, in contrast to Walmart, HEB isn't trying to monetize the flavor as a "tribute" to Juneteenth, simply because it was created by an African-American owned company.

But it's hilarious to see you dodging all of the relevant facts in favor of a new white-victimhood/grievance narrative, with each new post. "There's just no way to win. If you ignore juneteenth you're racist, if you advertise it then you are "profiting off slavery"......my ass.....just a pathetic blend of ignorance and false-grievance. :ROFLMAO:

Care to try again?

So its okay to steal as long and you don't try to celebrate a black holiday?

My favorite take I've heard on this: "You're melting down about icecream, snowflake."

Back
Top Bottom