• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Walmart ... Oh, you ...

Critter7r

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Everybody went bonkers for the day when they said they were closing 267 stores in 2016. (shhhh ... that's worldwide. Only 154 in the US, including 102 Walmart Express stores. One of which, I've never even seen, but that's irrelevant).

Nobody mentioned that they're going to open more than 300 NEW stores in the same upcoming year. Everybody was so focused on the "poor economy" forcing Walmart to close stores, when in reality, they're just changing up the locations, perhaps signaling population shifts, if anything.

Walmart Continues Sharpened Focus on Portfolio Management

"Closing stores is never an easy decision, but it is necessary to keep the company strong and positioned for the future. It’s important to remember that we’ll open well more than 300 stores around the world next year ..."

They close stores constantly. Always have. They are very strategic in that regard.

Yes, my point was that the media presented Walmart's closing of 260 stores worldwide as some sort of premonition of impending economic doom. When really, all they were doing is relocating stores and opening a few new ones.

Everybody went bonkers for the day when they said they were closing 267 stores in 2016. (shhhh ... that's worldwide. Only 154 in the US, including 102 Walmart Express stores. One of which, I've never even seen, but that's irrelevant).

Nobody mentioned that they're going to open more than 300 NEW stores in the same upcoming year. Everybody was so focused on the "poor economy" forcing Walmart to close stores, when in reality, they're just changing up the locations, perhaps signaling population shifts, if anything.

Walmart Continues Sharpened Focus on Portfolio Management

"Closing stores is never an easy decision, but it is necessary to keep the company strong and positioned for the future. It’s important to remember that we’ll open well more than 300 stores around the world next year ..."
any successful retailer opens and closes .... it's on-going depending upon many factors including rent and production which are the top two combos influencing location

but to be fair, one never knows why the close downs are happening until down the road

only time reveals that

Pretty much. The Walmart near my old house is going to be moving from an old, declining shopping center to a brand new and growing one a couple of miles away. They announced that a year or so ago and I think they're turning the new one into a Super Walmart. But sure, the sky is falling and all that. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom