• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Walmart Loses $224 Million Lawsuit For Stealing Lunch Breaks From 187,000 Workers

oh right, the fabled conservative who opposes illegal immigration but supports mega companies using illegals as their workforce instead of americans

or you just support wage theft and perhaps slavery?

Wow you ripped that straw man down in a jiffy ! :lamo So where did you see me support using illegals for anything BUT deportation . Nice try .

Wow you ripped that straw man down in a jiffy ! :lamo So where did you see me support using illegals for anything BUT deportation . Nice try .

So do you support wage theft?

Way to miss the point. Its not about people whining about being forced to work off the clock, it's about the company allowing that or expecting it to happen. Want to lose good workers, keep ****ing them over.

These were salaried managerial employees in executive, administrative or professional roles , BOSSES and those of us that work know managers will work extra hours to get that promotion , bonus , etc . So we can turn off all the water works ! :lamo

Why cant you answer a simple question?

The answer you seek is , I don't give a rats butt about BOSSES ! If you are required to work and not be paid FIND ANOTHER JOB ! HOW'S THAT ?

The answer you seek is , I don't give a rats butt about BOSSES ! If you are required to work and not be paid FIND ANOTHER JOB ! HOW'S THAT ?

So you see nothing wrong with bosses forcing employees to work without pay... Hmmm... I guess you see nothing wrong with violating labor law...

These were salaried managerial employees in executive, administrative or professional roles , BOSSES and those of us that work know managers will work extra hours to get that promotion , bonus , etc . So we can turn off all the water works ! :lamo
From what I read these were hourly employees. If you think it's okay for them to work for free, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

So you see nothing wrong with bosses forcing employees to work without pay... Hmmm... I guess you see nothing wrong with violating labor law...

The "employees" you are talking about happen to be BOSSES !!!!

From what I read these were hourly employees. If you think it's okay for them to work for free, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

I think when the place you work for treats you badly , YOU SHOULD FIND ANOTHER JOB ! :shock:

The "employees" you are talking about happen to be BOSSES !!!!

Why does this matter? They still violated labor law

They have been held accountable.
After fighting a lawsuit

I just wondered who held a gun to the employees' heads to prevent them from seeking other employment.
One should not have to go find work somewhere else because their employer is violating labor law

Why does this matter? They still violated labor law

After fighting a lawsuit

One should not have to go find work somewhere else because their employer is violating labor law

All managers work extra hours to get promotions and push the employees to work harder so they can get their monthly bonuses .

All managers work extra hours to get promotions and push the employees to work harder so they can get their monthly bonuses .

Pushing employees to work harder does not mean you dont pay that hourly employee for their time working....

Pushing employees to work harder does not mean you dont pay that hourly employee for their time working....

Wow , once again it was BOSSES who were shorted money , because most managers and salary professionals are required to work extra and NOT be paid . You keep thinking it's the hourly grunt employee that is cheated out of money , thus my comment who cares about bosses ! CLEAR ???? :roll:

Wow , once again it was BOSSES who were shorted money , because most managers and salary professionals are required to work extra and NOT be paid . You keep thinking it's the hourly grunt employee that is cheated out of money , thus my comment who cares about bosses ! CLEAR ???? :roll:

Please point to where it was the "bosses" who were shorted money?

"Until 2007, Wal-Mart classified its vision center managers and asset protection coordinators as exempt from overtime pay requirements. The company corrected the classification for these employees that year following the Department of Labor investigation, and the resulting dispute over back wages and penalties has only now been resolved.
“Misclassification of employees as exempt from FLSA coverage is a costly problem with adverse consequences for employees and corporations,” said Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis, according to a Department of Labor news release. “Let this be a signal to other companies that when violations are found, the Labor Department will take appropriate action to ensure that workers receive the wages they have earned.”

"And in 2007, through another Department of Labor settlement, Walmart paid $33.5 million in back wages to 86,680 workers, many of them managers who were denied overtime. "

and who are these morons who were clocking out and then going back to work? Yes people deserve to get paid for their work but seriously how ****ing stupid were these 187,000 people to work off the clock like that?

Manager: Hey can you stay over for 30 mins today and help your co-worker finish their job?

Employee A: Sure no problem.

Next Day

Manager: I need you to cut that 30 mins you stayed over yesterday. We can't afford you to come in late or leave early so please stay on lunch an extra 30 mins.

Employee A: I thought I could get paid for the hours I worked.

Manager: Our store has a budget and employee hours are part of that budget. I can reprimand anyone who is at fault for working more hours than they were allotted. If you can't finish your job on time you are lucky you are not reprimanded.

Employee A: I was doing a coworkers task, my job was done. You were the one who asked me to stay past my scheduled time.

Manager: You are becoming insubordinate. I can reprimand you for that as well. If you don't cut the time you were not scheduled I will reprimand you. If you don't like my decision use the open door policy and talk to the store manager.

Later the store manager will side with the other manager, or the store manager will inform the employee of the next rung in the open door policy. Either way the issue will be pushed under the rug.

Manager: Hey can you stay over for 30 mins today and help your co-worker finish their job?

Employee A: Sure no problem.

Next Day

Manager: I need you to cut that 30 mins you stayed over yesterday. We can't afford you to come in late or leave early so please stay on lunch an extra 30 mins.

Employee A: I thought I could get paid for the hours I worked.

Manager: Our store has a budget and employee hours are part of that budget. I can reprimand anyone who is at fault for working more hours than they were allotted. If you can't finish your job on time you are lucky you are not reprimanded.

Employee A: I was doing a coworkers task, my job was done. You were the one who asked me to stay past my scheduled time.

Manager: You are becoming insubordinate. I can reprimand you for that as well. If you don't cut the time you were not scheduled I will reprimand you. If you don't like my decision use the open door policy and talk to the store manager.

Later the store manager will side with the other manager, or the store manager will inform the employee of the next rung in the open door policy. Either way the issue will be pushed under the rug.

All of that is on the clock work, not what the lawsuit is about.

All of that is on the clock work, not what the lawsuit is about.

Its a way to avoid paying someone for overtime, which is one of the things they were sued for. It is also said that the workers were made to work through their lunch without getting paid. The scenario I conjured does exactly that. An employee works extra time one day and is mandated to take that time off during their lunch the next day is ultimately making someone work through part of their lunch and forfeit earned O/T. My dialogue is an ideal way for 187,000 people to be taken advantage of without question.

Its a way to avoid paying someone for overtime, which is one of the things they were sued for. It is also said that the workers were made to work through their lunch without getting paid. The scenario I conjured does exactly that. An employee works extra time one day and is mandated to take that time off during their lunch the next day is ultimately making someone work through part of their lunch and forfeit earned O/T. My dialogue is an ideal way for 187,000 people to be taken advantage of without question.

The lawsuit was about working on breaks and lunchtime.

Cutting OT like you described is legal in many states.

I'm wondering if you really understand what overtime is...

Overtime is not calculated on a daily basis...rather it is calculated on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis, whichever is the pay period.

So...if, on day 1, I work through my lunch (on the clock, that is)...and keep in mind that I have to agree to do so...and then, on day 2, I take a double length lunch period (off the clock) then I have not worked a minute of overtime.

Do you understand what that means? The manager has NOT caused me to "forfeit earned O/T" because there WAS NO overtime.

On a side note...why do you have a problem with an employer trying to control their labor costs by determining how many hours they ask an employee to work?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom