• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Walmart Loses $224 Million Lawsuit For Stealing Lunch Breaks From 187,000 Workers

Does sound like a lot of BS . Most places do NOT pay you for your lunch period you simply at work 8.5 hours and get paid for 8 . And some that don't take a lunch can leave after 8 hours . No wonder 60 Walmart stores closed after the $15 an hour rallies !

it's because they worked the lunch AND were there 8.5 hours, thus stealing half an hour of pay from them. This is not remotely far fetched from a company that is known to have imprisoned illegal immigrant workers in their bathrooms over night

and who are these morons who were clocking out and then going back to work? Yes people deserve to get paid for their work but seriously how ****ing stupid were these 187,000 people to work off the clock like that?

it's called extortion. Managers probably threatened them

Bernie said Walmart is " owned by one Family ".

Lol...I thought it was a publicly traded Co.

So yea then they were not paying them for work done if they were working 'off the clock'. Any honest company doesn't allow you to work off the clock.
Walmart is known as one of the worst employers in the US, especially considering how profitable they are.

Makes me wonder with their wages and crap like that why anyone would work there.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The Walton family combined own well over 50% of WalMart.

The Walton family combined own well over 50% of WalMart.

So ?
What's wrong with that ? What's Sanders saying ?

That WallMart should be appropriated by the Federal Govt? Divied up and given to the poor ?

Hes such a blow hard moron and people support him.

So ?
What's wrong with that ? What's Sanders saying ?

That WallMart should be appropriated by the Federal Govt? Divied up and given to the poor ?

Hes such a blow hard moron and people support him.

Just pointing out the flaw in your logic.

It is publically traded but the Walton family owns more than 50% of the shares.

oops guess demsoc already said that. looks like 52% is what they own.

By forcing them to skip a mandatory break/lunch break or work off the clock..

There was no mention of lunch breaks (which are entirely different from non-lunch breaks) in the suit, and I don't recall anyone testifying that they were not given a lunch break.

Can you please link something that says they had their lunches stolen, too?

Walmart is known as one of the worst employers in the US, especially considering how profitable they are.

No walmart is slandered by liberal morons who know nothing about how the company actually works

it's because they worked the lunch AND were there 8.5 hours, thus stealing half an hour of pay from them. This is not remotely far fetched from a company that is known to have imprisoned illegal immigrant workers in their bathrooms over night

And I'm sure the illegals were swiftly deported . :roll:

I didn't see it but it could have been lunch breaks for just a couple of months...

it was lunch breaks other breaks and I think after shift work etc...
there were a lot of factors that went into it.

No walmart is slandered by liberal morons who know nothing about how the company actually works

Hmmmm.. I guess the justice system agrees with those "liberal morons".

There was no mention of lunch breaks (which are entirely different from non-lunch breaks) in the suit, and I don't recall anyone testifying that they were not given a lunch break.

Can you please link something that says they had their lunches stolen, too?

"Wal-Mart has agreed to pay up to $35 million to settle a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of 88,000 workers at Washington state stores who were forced to skip meal and rest breaks or work off the clock." Wal-Mart settles lawsuit by Wash. workers for $35M - ABC News

Hmmmm.. I guess the justice system agrees with those "liberal morons".

Show me exactly where the justice system made this claim "Walmart is known as one of the worst employers in the US"

Show me exactly where the justice system made this claim "Walmart is known as one of the worst employers in the US"

Never said they did. Simply said that justice system ruled against walmart so they much agree with those "liberal morons" right?

thank you, I didn't see that article.

But once again, how exactly did the Walton family steal their lunches? Did they go into their lunchboxes and take them?

Lunch breaks. Lets not be facetious here.

Well as a libertarian who once worked at Walmart I can say that it was the worst employer I ever dealt with.

"Stealing Lunch Breaks"

I guess you missed the end of the article the last time i posted this. From your link:

But who can see any reason the country’s wealthiest family should treat their work force so horribly, paying them low wages and stealing their lunches too.

I guess you missed the end of the article the last time i posted this. From your link:

But who can see any reason the country’s wealthiest family should treat their work force so horribly, paying them low wages and stealing their lunches too.

You dont understand puns? You're being awfully facetious here.

You dont understand puns? You're being awfully facetious here.

Pun? That's what it is?

The pun, also called paronomasia, is a form of word play that suggests two or more meanings, by exploiting multiple meanings of words, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect.

Um, right. This is why I don't read or post from far leaning partisan sites. I have to defend them by pretending their ignorance is intentional. Like you just did.

Back
Top Bottom