• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Walmart is hiring 50,000 more workers before May

There is a difference between a fact and an opinion

Let us look at some info mixed in with opinon

Back in the 1950's, people started getting paid at 2,32, and could afford an apartment and rent It is equivalent of over 17 dollars now

Summer Jobs for teens are disappering. Those are the ones that were told 'to get experience'

What do you think happened between then and NOW?
Think a reliance on dual incomes had anything to do with things? Or living beyond our means to do so, or the fact that these are entry level (that means starting out) jobs and if both you and your SO have them, then you can likely even afford to have baby Timmy if you wanted.

The POINT, the only point, is that you should not be stuck at that entry level job for more than 6 months. If you are, the problem isn't the job, it's YOU.
Yes, people, companies, corporations, they want to hire people that will WORK hard, be smart, and move up.

You realize, with great irony I am sure, that all the links you posted were opinion pieces, right?

Good question.

While they are at it, perhaps "fair share" could be defined, for once.
All the shares they can afford to buy is fair enough.

If you work, you should be able to earn enough to put food on the table and roof over your head. Otherwise, what's the point?
And how do you determine that? How do you ensure the working poor are spending their income on necessities rather than luxuries. Yes everyone deserves a roof over their head and food. But not everyone is entitled to an iPhone, Starbucks, Coach bags, salon nails, etc. I work for a non-profit that supports low income families. Skewed priorities are our biggest challenge with most of the families we work with. Mom will get a new iPhone while her kids go without sheets on their mattress on the floor. It’s not a stereotype unfortunately, it’s a battle we fight everyday with our clients. Yes some families truly struggle even with the best money management but a lot also would rather spend their money on luxuries rather than necessities.

That does seem to be the excuse for pushing wages that do not make a living wage. It's very much corporate propoganda
I struggle to understand why every single job should pay a "living wage".

How much should the person bagging your groceries get paid?
How much should the person handing you the order you placed via an online app at a pizza shop get paid?
How much should the person that swipes a bar code across a scanner and reads a total number off the screen of a computer and then hands back the change calculated by the computer get paid?

I struggle to understand why every single job should pay a "living wage".

How much should the person bagging your groceries get paid?
How much should the person handing you the order you placed via an online app at a pizza shop get paid?
How much should the person that swipes a bar code across a scanner and reads a total number off the screen of a computer and then hands back the change calculated by the computer get paid?
15 bucks an hour.

And how do you determine that? How do you ensure the working poor are spending their income on necessities rather than luxuries. Yes everyone deserves a roof over their head and food. But not everyone is entitled to an iPhone, Starbucks, Coach bags, salon nails, etc. I work for a non-profit that supports low income families. Skewed priorities are our biggest challenge with most of the families we work with. Mom will get a new iPhone while her kids go without sheets on their mattress on the floor. It’s not a stereotype unfortunately, it’s a battle we fight everyday with our clients. Yes some families truly struggle even with the best money management but a lot also would rather spend their money on luxuries rather than necessities.
I've heard this echoed from friends that I have who are social workers, etc.

Children are neglected and don't have clothes that fit, books, toys...or even decent food in a fridge/cupboards...but parents have designer clothing/bags, there is alcohol in the house and there are video game systems.

It isn't a stereotype, it is reality. And a very sad reality at that.

So... the "liveable wage" is $15/hr?
It is according to the DNC.

The fact that they don't or can't see a problem with a universal minimum wage is astounding to me. In San Fran, that $15/hr puts you on the same streets that $3/hr puts you on in Shreveport.
The minimum wage laws likely hurt more people than it helps. It isn't supposed to be anything other than an entry level wage that people GROW out of, and it damn sure isn't supposed to be enough (with a single wage earner) to support a family of any size.

I object to having to pay Walmart's employee healthcare and if their pay is so low that employees need food stamps to eat, then I am also subsidizing their food, too.
The high cost of big box store low prices is that everyone pays, even people like me who never shop there.

If they didn't have jobs at all? Unemployment is at historic lows right now.
The point I am getting at is, Walmart shouldn't get to pass employee pay and bens to taxpayers....they're the largest retail store on Earth.

Why single out Walmart? If the problem is that “safety net” benefits are being used (abused?) to subsidize employers then raise the federal MW to $25/hour ($52K/year assuming a 40 hour per week schedule) and see what happens to mom & pop businesses.

They want the low people to have some ambition and the wherewithal to move out of those entry level jobs so they can stop complaining about making entry level wages.
UBI, would only fly here if it replaced all the other safety net payouts but it could resolve some of the work force simply not wanting to work.

I am not entirely sure you understand the jobs available out there these days.
A generation ago if you were a blue collar person just starting out with one of these minimum wage entry level jobs, you had the option to move up to factory work, because we still had vast amounts of manufacturing, and the skilled jobs to go with them.

There now exists a large gulf between entry level minimum wage jobs and what exists now, which is mostly data, investing, service and logistics, and above that, middle management, scientific, corporate heads financial management, and then the CEO class. The ONLY healthy blue collar industries in America now are mostly construction and a few trades. We barely MANUFACTURE anything here anymore.

And not everyone is cut out to get college degrees in STEM, AI, robotics either, and we can't all just be day traders and CEO's or sell insurance to each other.
We have to have jobs where people MAKE STUFF, and those kinds of jobs simply don't exist here anymore.

So it's misinformed to just say that people need more ambition...you can have all the ambition you could dream of but if you can't afford to get a college degree then you're stuck, unless you luck
out and get promoted to middle management in one of those entry level career paths, like MANAGING the Walmart or MANAGING the McDonald's.

Why single out Walmart? If the problem is that “safety net” benefits are being used (abused?) to subsidize employers then raise the federal MW to $25/hour ($52K/year assuming a 40 hour per week schedule) and see what happens to mom & pop businesses.

Single out?? Walmart is the largest retail store on the planet, so it makes sense to single them out.
I'm aware that lots of other companies have similar practices but Walmart pretty much "invented" the idea back when they were the first 800 pound gorilla on the block.
Also, back in those days, there were still plenty of manufacturing jobs, some of them even highly skilled, that people could move up to.
We don't really MAKE stuff here anymore, not for the most part, so most of those jobs are now gone.

Single out?? Walmart is the largest retail store on the planet, so it makes sense to single them out.
I'm aware that lots of other companies have similar practices but Walmart pretty much "invented" the idea back when they were the first 800 pound gorilla on the block.
Also, back in those days, there were still plenty of manufacturing jobs, some of them even highly skilled, that people could move up to.
We don't really MAKE stuff here anymore, not for the most part, so most of those jobs are now gone.

The downside of Walmart’s paying relatively low wages is that its employee retention is reduced from the retail average. That is not much of a problem for positions which require little ‘on the job’ training.

My point was that, in general, the ‘big box’ retailers tend to offer competitive (if not better) pay and benefits compared to smaller (in terms of number of employees) retail establishments (often called mom & pop businesses). There is little (if any) difference between Walmart’s (average) pay and benefits compared to other large retailers like Home Depot or Sears.

every generation affects each other through all periods of history. Even in Ancient Rome the poor were a small burden on the public in general, but the poor also contribute in many ways as well.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here 👆

Your argument is poor....

Please explain how? "Na huh" isnt a counter-argument.

A generation ago if you were a blue collar person just starting out with one of these minimum wage entry level jobs, you had the option to move up to factory work, because we still had vast amounts of manufacturing, and the skilled jobs to go with them.
Indeed, and now, with our educational system failing us, we have created a dependent uneducated underclass that can barely get those entry level jobs. that don't pay a living wage for a family.
There now exists a large gulf between entry level minimum wage jobs and what exists now, which is mostly data, investing, service and logistics, and above that, middle management, scientific, corporate heads financial management, and then the CEO class. The ONLY healthy blue collar industries in America now are mostly construction and a few trades. We barely MANUFACTURE anything here anymore.
Educate. Prioritize that education , you cannot make people smarter if they don't put forth the effort and if schools would rather focus on diversity training and being more inclusive rather than teach the ****ing kids to succeed in the world today.
More failing on the government's part (by raising the wage) isn't going to fix stupid.
And not everyone is cut out to get college degrees in STEM, AI, robotics either, and we can't all just be day traders and CEO's or sell insurance to each other.
We have to have jobs where people MAKE STUFF, and those kinds of jobs simply don't exist here anymore.
If you choose to get that degree in social work, or gender studies, KNOWING what it pays, then those people are part and parcel of the problem, all while borrowing money that they can't pay back so they can vote for those who tell them it should be free.
So it's misinformed to just say that people need more ambition...you can have all the ambition you could dream of but if you can't afford to get a college degree then you're stuck, unless you luck
out and get promoted to middle management in one of those entry level career paths, like MANAGING the Walmart or MANAGING the McDonald's.
There are some out there who seem to be misinformed, it just isn't me.

So it's misinformed to just say that people need more ambition..
.you can have all the ambition you could dream of but if you can't afford to get a college degree then you're stuck, unless you luck
I'm not sure YOU aren't under a misunderstanding of the jobs available TODAY.

Every single person that I know that works in Human Resources/recruiting has FULL DESKS of job openings.

NOT just jobs that require a degree. I’m talking: technical support, customer service, medical positions (medical assistants, medical billing/coding, medical technologists, x-ray technicians, etc. all of which are only certificate/associate degree level which can often be achieved through technical classes in high school or completely affordably at a local community college)...and then COUNTLESS well-paying trade positions (electricians, HVAC, carpenters, plumbers). Countless administrative roles in corporate companies, small and mid-size companies, hospital systems....schools. Heck...my school district cannot find nearly enough paraprofessionals, cafeteria staff. Every district within a 30-mile radius is advertising for school bus drivers.

JOBS exist. You can't swing a stick and NOT see job openings, not see businesses WANTING to hire, not see PLENTY of opportunities available that don't require a 4 year or advanced degree.

There are PLENTY of jobs. Jobs that are not retail and/or minimum wage levels and jobs that don’t require advanced degrees.

Jobs aren’t the problem in 2022 - lack of applicants is.

There is a difference between a fact and an opinion

Let us look at some info mixed in with opinon

Back in the 1950's, people started getting paid at 2,32, and could afford an apartment and rent It is equivalent of over 17 dollars now

Summer Jobs for teens are disappering. Those are the ones that were told 'to get experience'

From what I find, the minimum wage from 1956 to 1960 was $1.00/hr and reached $2.30/hr in 1976. I was taking home $37/wk in the early 60's.

Indeed, and now, with our educational system failing us, we have created a dependent uneducated underclass that can barely get those entry level jobs. that don't pay a living wage for a family.

Educate. Prioritize that education , you cannot make people smarter if they don't put forth the effort and if schools would rather focus on diversity training and being more inclusive rather than teach the ****ing kids to succeed in the world today.
More failing on the government's part (by raising the wage) isn't going to fix stupid.

If you choose to get that degree in social work, or gender studies, KNOWING what it pays, then those people are part and parcel of the problem, all while borrowing money that they can't pay back so they can vote for those who tell them it should be free.

There are some out there who seem to be misinformed, it just isn't me.

No argument from me on pretty much any point you're making.
I heartily agree that we need to mount a "Space Race" style effort at getting this generation up to par on ALL STEM, and anything else that does prepare them for better careers.
We're on the same page on that score, and probably close on a lot of other issues.

I'm sixty-five years old, not some angry kid on a college campus screeching about gender studies.
My background is technical, and I majored in English and minored in History because I had originally intended to be in broadcasting as talent, but went into the production side instead.
When it comes to social work however, I do see a need for social workers, if they can apply what they learn to healing some of the damage wrought by the last two decades.
Not expecting a miracle but we do have a bumper crop of "messed up people" and they will need help, and if they're unable to get any, society will feel the effects of that deficit, as
we are already right now.

Back
Top Bottom