• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WalMart has low prices!

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
what a pathetic and stupid thread. Walmart jobs like most retail jobs are not careers. Everyone with a brain realizes this.

the sticker price doesn't represent the true cost.

i don't throw stones at those who shop there. i just dislike the company, i feel they have too much control over the supply chain, and i don't like the way they treat their workers. hence, i don't shop there.

they are the nation's largest employer, so the discussion is relevant.

U.S. Largest Employers | Statistic Brain

For the most they are part time employees which means they are not career jobs. It is where housewives go for extra work, college students, and seniors. Only the department managers are considered full time and they have insurance and make decent money. My son worked there while in college.

You first must accept the "living wage" concept and, absent that level of income from private earnings, that one should be granted the difference via taxpayer subsidy. Why single out Walmart as opposed to any other business offering low wage/skill job opportunities? Having a single, full-time McJob was never considered to be capable of supporting a family so why is Walmart now being accused of causing a "new" problem?

Well raise the minimum wage and stop acting like Walmart is evil for paying the legally required wage or above. This is no different than what many stores do. People just like to hate on Walmart because they are successful.

You first must accept the "living wage" concept and, absent that level of income from private earnings, that one should be granted the difference via taxpayer subsidy. Why single out Walmart as opposed to any other business offering low wage/skill job opportunities? Having a single, full-time McJob was never considered to be capable of supporting a family so why is Walmart now being accused of causing a "new" problem?

Good point. Why, indeed, single out WalMart? They are, after all, only one of many low wage employers. Factor in the cost of importing illegal aliens to harvest crops and make motel beds, add the costs created by other low wage employers, and you have a huge cost to taxpayers that results in cheap prices for some goods and services, but a hidden cost that is astronomical.

stupid premise.

if the largest employer no longer employees anyone, what will that cost the country?

Good point. Why, indeed, single out WalMart? They are, after all, only one of many low wage employers. Factor in the cost of importing illegal aliens to harvest crops and make motel beds, add the costs created by other low wage employers, and you have a huge cost to taxpayers that results in cheap prices for some goods and services, but a hidden cost that is astronomical.

Yep. Consider the cost of raising the minimum wage to $20 (or more) per hour. Surely that would simply raise the costs of all associated goods and services to make that into a "poverty" wage - rinse and repeat.

Well raise the minimum wage and stop acting like Walmart is evil for paying the legally required wage or above. This is no different than what many stores do. People just like to hate on Walmart because they are successful.
I hate on them because they completely dominate the market wherever they pop up, causing other businesses to fail, forcing those people to then be employed for less pay at Walmart, which then leaves the community with a lower standard of living.

There's a good reason why a lot of communities fight new store openings. Walmart is one of the most destructive aspects of our economy.

Last edited:
they are the nation's largest employer, so the discussion is relevant.
U.S. Largest Employers | Statistic Brain

No, the Federal Government is the nation's largest employer by far. Even individually the Department of Defense is larger than Wal-Mart.
If you think Walmart is a problem because of its power and scale, I'm sure you're as or more tough on why our government is so large, yes?

I hate on them because they completely dominate the market wherever they pop up, causing other businesses to fail, forcing those people to then be employed for less pay at Walmart, which then leaves the community with a lower standard of living.

There's a good reason why a lot of communities fight new store openings. Walmart is one of the most destructive aspects of our economy.

then why aren't you complaining about McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's?

I do love the yappers in this thread who are so righteously and morally and high browed opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart, but they'd like to what...use government to force Wal-Mart to do things differently at the cost of all the people who DO like to shop there? You don't use them, you're free not to use them, but you want to interfere with Wal Mart and the consumers who DO CHOOSE to use it? Typical desire to interfere with the freedoms of everyone else because of your own emotional preferences. Individual freedom, who needs that when you have the liberal crusade to just vote your freedoms away.

Let's just link WalMart to cancer and be done with it.

And there is a reason places like my city recruited them in--they do have jobs and have more affordable prices for poorer people. They were going to build a second Superstore location just outside the city but the location was too close to the existing one. I don't recall if it was a Walmart policy or an economic development policy about second locations that did it in. I forget now. Sam's also has cheaper gas for those who could benefit from that.

This is just so.much.bull****. WalMart pays the same or better than other retail stores, fast food chains, and others. This is union bull**** to pressure the second-largest employer in the world to unionize. To hell with what employees want. Shove it down their throats whether they like it or not. Gotta get that union census up. Bull****.

Well, if each WalMart costs the taxpayers $1million, then it won't cost the country anything. It will save money

so democrats should push for eminent domain and shut down all the Walmart as a public good.

got to love liberal math

then why aren't you complaining about McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's?
Two things make them much better than Walmart. Firstly, they're all franchises, so technically each store is a small business. Secondly, their existence doesn't dominate the restaurant market in a geographical area the way Walmart dominates the retail market. They don't put family restaurants out of business.

Granted, I don't consume any fast food, either, though only for the obvious health reasons.

No, the Federal Government is the nation's largest employer by far. Even individually the Department of Defense is larger than Wal-Mart.
If you think Walmart is a problem because of its power and scale, I'm sure you're as or more tough on why our government is so large, yes?

those who work for the government generally don't have to be on public assistance. and since the government pays the benefits and supplements the salaries of many Walmart workers, they are de facto government employees, as well.

as for the department of defense, yes, it should be cut back or should be paid for by wartime marginal rates.

Two things make them much better than Walmart. Firstly, they're all franchises, so technically each store is a small business. Secondly, their existence doesn't dominate the restaurant market in a geographical area the way Walmart dominates the retail market. They don't put family restaurants out of business.

Granted, I don't consume any fast food, either, though only for the obvious health reasons.

then you haven't been paying attention, they are no different that walmart in their operations. And yes many of your ma and pa restaurants are closed now because of them

Ironically, Walmart is notorious for bait and switch tactics, advertising a really cheap microwave, for instance, which then isn't available, with the next higher priced model actually costing more than similar models at other chains. Generally, if you buy at Walmart and fall for the tactic, you actually pay more.

Walmart is one of the most destructive aspects of our economy.

I disagree.

The "bargain shopper" is the most destructive aspect of our economy.

Wal-Mart couldn't exist in a vacuum.

Ironically, Walmart is notorious for bait and switch tactics, advertising a really cheap microwave, for instance, which then isn't available, with the next higher priced model actually costing more than similar models at other chains. Generally, if you buy at Walmart and fall for the tactic, you actually pay more.

Laws are in place to prevent that. The cheaper microwave must be supplied at the price advertised, and have minimum on hand (prior to them being sold), or they can and will be successfully sued. You may not get it that day, but it must be provided.

Now, if you MUST have a microwave at that very moment, then you make a choice. If your impatient and can't stand the thought that you may not have your microwave popcorn that night, you either go to another store, or have an associate call another Wal-Mart to see if they have them in stock. Bring Wal-Mart's ad to another small appliance purveyor, and likely they will meet the price on a comparable model.

No one 'forces' you to buy the more expensive model, it's your choice to.

Laws are in place to prevent that. The cheaper microwave must be supplied at the price advertised, and have minimum on hand (prior to them being sold), or they can and will be successfully sued. You may not get it that day, but it must be provided.

Now, if you MUST have a microwave at that very moment, then you make a choice. If your impatient and can't stand the thought that you may not have your microwave popcorn that night, you either go to another store, or have an associate call another Wal-Mart to see if they have them in stock. Bring Wal-Mart's ad to another small appliance purveyor, and likely they will meet the price on a comparable model.

No one 'forces' you to buy the more expensive model, it's your choice to.

Shoppers are usually unaware of the law, and thus Walmart takes advantage of the information disparity. By the way, this allegation comes from former Walmart managers who carried out the practice.

Worse yet, every study shows the Walmart costs local communities by reducing tax revenue and driving out local businesses. Generally Walmart will not move into an area without getting huge local tax breaks (usually induced by Walmart contributed to certain local politicians), which local businesses aren't provided, thus giving WM an advantage that drives them out of business, which is goal. When the tax benefits expire (they usually last 10 years) WM moves out to another community offering contribution induced tax breaks, leaving the economic wreckage behind It happens in one community after the next.

There are at least a dozen studies showing how this works.

Back
Top Bottom