• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wallace To CNN Plus

Mary, it was mostly opinion. I mean, he would tell what had happened that day, and then express his own viewpoint--which, I guess, is standard for that kind of show. I'm one of those weird people who flip through the channels a lot, and as soon as I would hear what he would be talking about, I'd flip around and see what the others would be talking about, then I'd decide if I'd go back to Cuomo or not.

This is a little off-topic, but lately I've been watching Rachel Maddow because I like how she sometimes tells news stories in chronological order, which is unusual. For example, instead of saying, "Three children narrowly escaped a flaming school bus today," she'll start out with, "Joey and his little sister Tina got on the school bus today and took their seats as usual." My curiosity always gets the best of me, and I'm hooked for the next five minutes. :)
That's good craft! You almost never see that kind of creative writing in newspapers because due to space limits, sometimes the layout crew will chop out the bottom 4 inches of your column. News reporters always answer the 5 W's at the top! Newscasters are basically reading news articles out loud, so they traditionally follow that same format. But Rachel apparently knows how to tell a story that 'hooks' the reader. Is she MSNBC? I never watched that channel--someone told me it was really biased. Nowadays, I don't have tv. Don't miss it, either, but this streaming stuff worries me.

That's good craft! You almost never see that kind of creative writing in newspapers because due to space limits, sometimes the layout crew will chop out the bottom 4 inches of your column. News reporters always answer the 5 W's at the top! Newscasters are basically reading news articles out loud, so they traditionally follow that same format. But Rachel apparently knows how to tell a story that 'hooks' the reader. Is she MSNBC? I never watched that channel--someone told me it was really biased. Nowadays, I don't have tv. Don't miss it, either, but this streaming stuff worries me.

Yes, when she gets into the commentary thing, Rachel IS biased--she's pretty liberal. But I have friends who are just as liberal, so I hear it a lot, and I DO try to keep an open mind. A few years ago, Mary, Mike Huckabee, who is very conservative, had a show on Fox News. He had heard Rachel say something he didn't like, so he kind of ripped into her on the air. When Rachel heard about it, she invited Huckabee to lunch so they could "talk it out." He accepted the offer. What they said to each other over the lunch wasn't publicized, but for the next several days, on every show Huckabee was on, he talked about how "super-nice" Rachel is. That's what I like to hear--polar opposites discussing things in a good way--and my opinion of both Huckabee and Rachel jumped about 56 points. :)

I don’t watch much of CNN’s free content. How do they think there is a market for paid content? FOX NATION is paid content, can an MSNBC offering be far behind? I have posted earlier that I do not understand the business models that charge for specific content and want the consumer to think that this is a better option than the all inclusive packages…….
I guess there is a market for it or they wouldn’t do it?
I don't know how this is going to work either. Even since Trump got out of office, CNN's ratings have been in some weird death spiral and I doubt that just shunting services over like this will help anything.

I also think Wallace is only hurting himself in doing this.

Wallace leans left and that is fine with me, but he has little tolerance for the soft ball questioning that goes on in the media.

It's a huge win for CNN.

Yes, when she gets into the commentary thing, Rachel IS biased--she's pretty liberal. But I have friends who are just as liberal, so I hear it a lot, and I DO try to keep an open mind. A few years ago, Mary, Mike Huckabee, who is very conservative, had a show on Fox News. He had heard Rachel say something he didn't like, so he kind of ripped into her on the air. When Rachel heard about it, she invited Huckabee to lunch so they could "talk it out." He accepted the offer. What they said to each other over the lunch wasn't publicized, but for the next several days, on every show Huckabee was on, he talked about how "super-nice" Rachel is. That's what I like to hear--polar opposites discussing things in a good way--and my opinion of both Huckabee and Rachel jumped about 56 points. :)
Don't get me wrong--I have nothing against "pretty liberal" people; they can be inspiring. I just figured between Fox and CNN and Glenn Beck who was on the only radio station I could get during the commute home (depending on the weather--unless I wanted to listen to country western) I figured I had enough bias to go on. :)

I don't know how this is going to work either. Even since Trump got out of office, CNN's ratings have been in some weird death spiral and I doubt that just shunting services over like this will help anything.

Why?

He's 74 years old and approaching the end of his public life.

His questions have always been fair regardless of his own political lean.

I don't see it hurting himself at all, while I do see him attracting more moderate viewers to CNN.

CNN's owner says he wants to see them transform back into what they used to be...whatever that was.

CNN has always held on to a story too long (remember the disappeared airliner?) and they focused too much on Trump. We all knew when Trump was gone, CNN would have nothing to report on. But Wallace is 74, so I doubt if his popularity concerns him much at this point. Maybe he doesn't want to work that hard anymore?

Why?

He's 74 years old and approaching the end of his public life.

His questions have always been fair regardless of his own political lean.

I don't see it hurting himself at all, while I do see him attracting more moderate viewers to CNN.
Without CNN's reputation souring every second, I'd be more accepting of his choice to jump ship to the Network. It's just looks like all of this is going down at a rather opportune time.
CNN's rating are going to take a massive hit from all of the crap that Cuomo, Lemon, and their old producer John Griffin, are going through. While Fox is only going to serve to better itself by drawing in at least a few viewers that are fleeing the fire.

It also doesn't help them that Griffin was close friends with Cuomo and was in close operation with Lemon for some time.
Let's not forget, guilt by proxy is a fan favorite for many people these last few years.

Without CNN's reputation souring every second, I'd be more accepting of his choice to jump ship to the Network. It's just looks like all of this is going down at a rather opportune time.
CNN's rating are going to take a massive hit from all of the crap that Cuomo, Lemon, and their old producer John Griffin, are going through. While Fox is only going to serve to better itself by drawing in at least a few viewers that are fleeing the fire.

It also doesn't help them that Griffin was close friends with Cuomo and was in close operation with Lemon for some time.
Let's not forget, guilt by proxy is a fan favorite for many people these last few years.

I hate partisan interviews by any network.

Maybe that is why I enjoyed (Greta - Shep - Tim Russert - Mike Wallace) so much.

I really miss seeing that smirky grin come across Russert's face every time some hack was spewing lies. I still miss him today.

CNN's owner says he wants to see them transform back into what they used to be...whatever that was.

CNN has always held on to a story too long (remember the disappeared airliner?) and they focused too much on Trump. We all knew when Trump was gone, CNN would have nothing to report on. But Wallace is 74, so I doubt if his popularity concerns him much at this point. Maybe he doesn't want to work that hard anymore?
When it comes to CNN's new owner, I can understand the comment. The Network has been criticized for a while now, as being a propaganda outlet. Not only by the right, but with centrist, liberals etc.
He just wants them to get back to covering the news, and not being an opinion piece network.
Or at least that my take on it.

Americans neck deep in MAGA will never understand that CNN is a global institution, and FOX, Newsmax, OANN combined are boiler room operations in comparison.

I can go into any hotel in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America that doesnt offer free breakfast, or one that does, turn on the TV, and sure enough, CNN will be there. I can travel to a country where I have no hope of speaking the local language, but I know there is probably a CNN bureau within 1000 miles of that place covering it in one of the local languages.

If you know these things, and you travel, and your experience with media goes beyond sitting on your ass watching TV, you know this. If your experience with the world isn't just coming to DP to make shit up, you can understand just where/how/when CNN+ would exist or find a large enough audience to fund a streaming venture.

But if you don't, you wont.
You be sure and sound off when Chris Wallace is shown on CNN INTL. I am sure the folks in London, Berlin, Copenhagen, Dublin, Paris and other points will stop what they are doing to watch……….:unsure:

Own stock in CNN?
CNN has sunk so low. Their rating are in the toilet. They push propaganda in the United States. Sorry there is not free food in Europe or where ever. 🍔
You have cnn confused with fox.

You have a lot of common sense, good reasoning skills, and intelligence
Color me very impressed

When it comes to CNN's new owner, I can understand the comment. The Network has been criticized for a while now, as being a propaganda outlet. Not only by the right, but with centrist, liberals etc.
He just wants them to get back to covering the news, and not being an opinion piece network.
Or at least that my take on it.

Until they come out and admit they deserved their reputation, no one is going to trust they want to change or have.

Don't get me wrong--I have nothing against "pretty liberal" people; they can be inspiring. I just figured between Fox and CNN and Glenn Beck who was on the only radio station I could get during the commute home (depending on the weather--unless I wanted to listen to country western) I figured I had enough bias to go on. :)
I would have chosen country or silence.😎

I don’t watch much of CNN’s free content. How do they think there is a market for paid content? FOX NATION is paid content, can an MSNBC offering be far behind? I have posted earlier that I do not understand the business models that charge for specific content and want the consumer to think that this is a better option than the all inclusive packages…….
I guess there is a market for it or they wouldn’t do it?
I guess there must be? I'm not in that market. If I click on a story in my google news feed and hit a paywall - I immediately remove that source from my feed altogether. I think Reuters was the latest.

You be sure and sound off when Chris Wallace is shown on CNN INTL. I am sure the folks in London, Berlin, Copenhagen, Dublin, Paris and other points will stop what they are doing to watch……….:unsure:

Chris Wallace being hired by CNN isn't about putting him on television in foreign markets but it is about giving him a level of exposure the FOX News channel will never, and that FOX Nation can't because it is too busy with American flag graphics

He's a very little cog in a machine 1000x the size of FOX.

I guess there must be? I'm not in that market. If I click on a story in my google news feed and hit a paywall - I immediately remove that source from my feed altogether. I think Reuters was the latest.
Reuters says registration is free. I don’t like giving out any information than is absolutely necessary.

Reuters says registration is free. I don’t like giving out any information than is absolutely necessary.
Yup. Completely unnecessary.

Everyone is trying to break off little bits of the pie. I don’t think it’s gonna work. In my opinion.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Objects to giving info to get past a paywall.....but uses google's news feed!

You don't realize how completely stupid that concept is.

So feed them bullshit.

ATT/CNN is in financial trouble. Their ratings have tanked and advertisers don't want to spend big money advertising on programs that have low number of viewers.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, ATT owns CNN through their Warner media division. Late in 2020 it was reported ATT was trying to dump CNN but could not find any takers. A couple of months later, early in 2021 CNN announced they were ending their airport network at the end of March 2021 citing COVID as the reason due to the slowdown of air travel. But the truth is, the airports were bombarded with complaints over CNN's coverage that began long before COVID. CNN has had a monopoly on airport coverage for 30 years.

CNN has always been seen as left of center but in recent years they took a far-left turn going from reporting the news to leftist activism. CNN's ratings have been declining ever since. And to make matters worse, in the past years it has been revealed that anchors, contributors, producers etc. have been engaged in unethical behavior, some criminal.

Wallace seems to be very enthusiastic about joining this new CNN plus streaming thing. Wallace is leaving FOX at a time his FOX News Sunday program has been continually declining in viewership. It was once one of FOX's top-rated shows. So much so that FOX TV ran it on Sunday morning and FOX cable ran it twice. Once in the morning and again in the late afternoon. As the ratings began to drop, FOX cable stopped repeating the program in the afternoon and began repeating Maria Bartiromo's Sunday Morning Futures.

ATT/CNN is in financial trouble. Their ratings have tanked and advertisers don't want to spend big money advertising on programs that have low number of viewers.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, ATT owns CNN through their Warner media division. Late in 2020 it was reported ATT was trying to dump CNN but could not find any takers. A couple of months later, early in 2021 CNN announced they were ending their airport network at the end of March 2021 citing COVID as the reason due to the slowdown of air travel. But the truth is, the airports were bombarded with complaints over CNN's coverage that began long before COVID. CNN has had a monopoly on airport coverage for 30 years.

CNN has always been seen as left of center but in recent years they took a far-left turn going from reporting the news to leftist activism. CNN's ratings have been declining ever since. And to make matters worse, in the past years it has been revealed that anchors, contributors, producers etc. have been engaged in unethical behavior, some criminal.

Wallace seems to be very enthusiastic about joining this new CNN plus streaming thing. Wallace is leaving FOX at a time his FOX News Sunday program has been continually declining in viewership. It was once one of FOX's top-rated shows. So much so that FOX TV ran it on Sunday morning and FOX cable ran it twice. Once in the morning and again in the late afternoon. As the ratings began to drop, FOX cable stopped repeating the program in the afternoon and began repeating Maria Bartiromo's Sunday Morning Futures.
What a strange imagination you have.

I think your instincts are correct. CNN's ratings are terrible when it's free. I don't know what possessed them to think they could have a viable paid service.
It's the rush to plant a flag in the OTT space I'm sure. Most media companies have done so with varying degrees of success, but I'm not sure how this will play out for CNN given it's less than stellar ratings. The big challenge for setting up a streaming site is having a wide archive of content, and what I would question is whether they have enough relevant content to make it worth a subscription. They're part of WarnerMedia, so they will have access to a wide media library but since they're news, I wonder how much of the "Plus" will include non-news specific content.

CNN can always make content that might be appealing for some, but the challenge with the news space is the easy accessibility to information that can easily eat into their potential customer base.

Back
Top Bottom