• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wall Street Threatens Clinton Over Warren

Surrealistik

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

The Young Turks said:
Wall Street is talking, and Hillary Clinton is listening. The big banks don’t want Clinton to choose Elizabeth Warren as her VP, and they are threatening to stop funding her campaign.

Politico said:
“NEW YORK — Big Wall Street donors have a message for Hillary Clinton: Keep Elizabeth Warren off the ticket or risk losing millions of dollars in contributions.

In a dozen interviews, major Democratic donors in the financial services industry said they saw little chance that Clinton would pick the liberal firebrand as her vice presidential nominee. These donors despise Warren’s attacks on the financial industry. But they also think her selection would be damaging to the economy. And they warned that if Clinton surprises them and taps Warren, big donations from the industry could vanish.

“If Clinton picked Warren, her whole base on Wall Street would leave her,” said one top Democratic donor who has helped raise millions for Clinton. “They would literally just say, ‘We have no qualms with you moving left, we understand all the things you’ve had to do because of Bernie Sanders, but if you are going there with Warren, we just can’t trust you, you’ve killed it.’”

Source article: Wall Street donors seek to block Warren VP pick - POLITICO

Warren as VP pick was never confirmed, but it seems reasonably likely, and I'm sure Hillary must be giving it strong consideration if some of her most prolific donors are warning her against it.

Warren was not really likely. And LoLz and Wall Street acting like Sanders. Do what we want, or we will withhold support...

Your opinion on Warren's unlikeliness as a VP pick is noted; personally I would rather she didn't as she's better off in the Senate, and such a move would strongly imply she withheld support from Sanders and cost him Mass for the sake of a political appointment; I'd like to think of her as being better than that.

As for Wall Street vs Sanders supporters, the former wants further deregulation and tax cuts that favour it (generally at the people's expense) and is seeking representation for its money, while the latter wants progressive change that favours the people and seeks representation for its votes; one end is certainly more worthy than the other. Besides, Hillary is no stranger to realpolitik as her supporters often remind me, so turnabout is fair game; asking her politely clearly hasn't had any meaningful outcome thus we are left to take an alternate approach.

Warren as VP pick was never confirmed, but it seems reasonably likely, and I'm sure Hillary must be giving it strong consideration if some of her most prolific donors are warning her against it.

And Clinton's owners give her a yank on her chain. Next up, all those 'donations' to the Clinton Foundation from foreign nation's and business leaders will be doing the same to get what they want.

Is this really the presidency that you want for the nation?

Your opinion on Warren's unlikeliness as a VP pick is noted; personally I would rather she didn't as she's better off in the Senate, and such a move would strongly imply she withheld support from Sanders and cost him Mass for the sake of a political appointment; I'd like to think of her as being better than that.

As for Wall Street vs Sanders supporters, the former wants further deregulation and tax cuts that favour it (generally at the people's expense) and is seeking representation for its money, while the latter wants progressive change that favours the people and seeks representation for its votes; one end is certainly more worthy than the other. Besides, Hillary is no stranger to realpolitik as her supporters often remind me, so turnabout is fair game; asking her politely clearly hasn't had any meaningful outcome thus we are left to take an alternate approach.

Wall street really has no sway over Sanders though as that isn't where he is getting his donations... on the other hand that's pretty much where Hillary gets all of her donations... well that and Hollywood.

Lolwut? She did not "cost him Mass", he lost Mass because he could not get enough votes. And no one of any seriousness is going to accuse her of withholding support for an appointment.

I said nothing about Sanders supporters, I said Sanders himself. He and "wall Street" are doing the same thing, making support contingent on getting what they want.

Lolwut? She did not "cost him Mass", he lost Mass because he could not get enough votes. And no one of any seriousness is going to accuse her of withholding support for an appointment.

If you honestly believe that Warren's failure to endorse Bernie despite her popularity in Mass didn't cost him the state given Hillary's razor thin margin of victory there, besides such a position being willfully ignorant, you shouldn't be at all upset about Bernie's failure to endorse Hillary. If she ends up losing by a margin his endorsement could have clearly overcome, it'll be because she just couldn't get enough votes, right?

I said nothing about Sanders supporters, I said Sanders himself. He and "wall Street" are doing the same thing, making support contingent on getting what they want.

So what's your point exactly? Sanders is seeking representation for his movement that intends to institute progressive change which is laudable; this is not at all a parallel with Wall Street seeking a return on its investment in Hillary at the country's expense.

Last edited:
And Clinton's owners give her a yank on her chain. Next up, all those 'donations' to the Clinton Foundation from foreign nation's and business leaders will be doing the same to get what they want.

Is this really the presidency that you want for the nation?

I want nothing to do with Clinton.

My vote is going straight to Stein if I don't see some meaningful policy concessions from Hillary, and I suspect this will be true for many Sanders supporters.

Warren was not really likely. And LoLz and Wall Street acting like Sanders. Do what we want, or we will withhold support...

Hillary is the corporate candidate, of course she listens to Wall Street.

Wall Street would prefer to convince her with nothing more than a threat of yanking donations.

I don't think they can afford a Trump presidency any better than a Clinton/Warren one.

Well, that would certainly be remarkable to have two women in charge of the country. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I don't think Warren is going to be Hillary's VP pick, anyway. I think they're probably using her to help gain the support of Bernie supporters and in return she'll probably get appointed to head some important administrative office that regulates Wall Street where she can be most effective. Or maybe she'll stay in the senate so her seat as senator won't be up for grabs. and become the speaker of the house or head of most the financial committees. She has lots of options..but I think being the VP would be a waste of her talents.

No, I think Hillary's VP pick might be....

Bill Clinton.

LOL jk

Last edited:
Well, that would certainly be remarkable to have two women in charge of the country. I think even I could handle that. But I don't think Warren is going to be Hillary's VP anyway. They're using her to help gain the support of Bernie supporters and in return she'll probably get to appointed to some important administrative office that regulates Wall Street where she can be most effective.

No, I think Hillary's VP pick might be....

Bill Clinton.

LOL jk

Honestly, she could do worse. The VP doesn't have a whole lot of specific obligations. And picking Bill would lighten the load on the secret service.

I don't think it would be a good pick strategically, because it would open up more familial attacks, but it wouldn't be so bad as a matter of practicality in my opinion.

Honestly, she could do worse. The VP doesn't have a whole lot of specific obligations. And picking Bill would lighten the load on the secret service.

I don't think it would be a good pick strategically, because it would open up more familial attacks, but it wouldn't be so bad as a matter of practicality in my opinion.

It certainly would be a 'first' in a lot of ways. First Madame president, first husband, first former president VP, first married couple, first former first lady president...

If Clinton was toying with the idea of picking Warren before, then that notion just went *poof.* Clinton has made absolutely zero attempt to disguise the fact that she's Wall Street's whore.

This corroborates how Hillary is in the pocket of Wall Street, despite her protestations to the contrary.

I would be disappointed if Warren joined up with Hillary's crooked gang.

I want nothing to do with Clinton.

My vote is going straight to Stein if I don't see some meaningful policy concessions from Hillary, and I suspect this will be true for many Sanders supporters.

Then you are OK with President Trump.

Then you are OK with President Trump.

Voting in accordance with my conscience is far more bearable to me, regardless of the outcome, than rewarding systemic corruption, and someone who won't deign to negotiate with or represent nearly half of her own party.

Voting in accordance with my conscience is far more bearable to me, regardless of the outcome, than rewarding systemic corruption, and someone who won't deign to negotiate with or represent nearly half of her own party.

This primary season became the year that the Republican party lost their monopoly on arrogance and pathological lying. It is partly for these reasons that I'm glad Sanders lost.

And the attitudes of those who hate Hillary are some of the other reasons I'm glad she won.

If you want to slaver over a Wall Street ingratiated pseudo-progressive crook, going to such laughable extremes that you shill and lie in online polls for her sake, you do you man.

Personally I can't wait until Julian's bombshell gets dropped.

If you want to slaver over a Wall Street ingratiated pseudo-progressive crook, going to such laughable extremes that you shill and lie in online polls for her sake, you do you man.

Personally I can't wait until Julian's bombshell gets dropped.

No no no please don't throw Hillary into the briar patch!

Back
Top Bottom