• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wait, I thought the science was settled.

I dont think the article means what you think it means.

The consensus on sodium/salt intake has been roughly the same for the last thirty years. That science is about as settled as AGW.

The findings of this report (which ironically, is a consensus report - not an original study) show that low sodium diets are appropriate to minimize the risks of cerebrovascular and heart disease, but there is no good evidence that more aggressive sodium intake below 2.4 grams per day is beneficial. But 2.5 gram sodium diets are really hard to follow and would be considered massive salt restriction by most Americans. The previous recommendation was in certain cases, to lower intake to 1.5 g per day - which is a ridiculous diet, and hardly any patients can maintain it anyway.

In either case, I'm sure you didnt know this, unless you are in the medical field working with hypertension or congestive heart failure, and realize that high levels of sodium in your diet are known, and remain known, to lead to higher rates of hypertension, stroke, heart attacks and kidney failure. And thats the consensus.
These misreadings happen all to often. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom