• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Waist deep and sinking in the Middle East: We're now at war with Iran

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

The strike represented a major escalation in the ongoing tit-for-tat that started when Trump withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal in 2018.

b855c78e6ef4d261d30b36f986a21596dad51084.jpg

1/4/20
The question of war with Iran is now settled. With President Donald Trump’s decision to authorize the U.S. military to execute Gen. Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iranian forces throughout the Middle East, the United States is at war with Iran, whether the White House acknowledges it or not. It’s the equivalent of Iran killing the commander of U.S. Central Command. Without a doubt, Iran will respond to the execution of Soleimani with deadly force. The question will be where and when? Today, the U.S. is at war with a capable and difficult adversary that has options to attack Americans and U.S. interests in unexpected ways around the world. The United States is not tiptoeing into a Middle Eastern quagmire. It is waist deep and sinking. The American entanglement in Iraq did not begin with Donald Trump, although he has made it significantly worse. What is lacking today from the Trump administration’s policy is any sign of a regional strategy for dealing with Iran and the growing American isolation in the Middle East. Now that this war is underway, how do he and his generals plan to fight and prevail against Iran? What are the political and military goals and objectives of American policy? How does this war end?

I cannot imagine how Trump can now achieve his avowed goal of withdrawing from endless wars in the Middle East. A far more likely scenario is that the U.S. military will ask for additional forces in the region to defend existing troops on the ground and to respond to future attacks. From the beginning, the Trump strategy in the region has been naïve and incompetent. The plan to bring Iran back to the negotiation table on nuclear weapons is in tatters. The primary U.S. ally in the region, Saudi Arabia, is led by a murderous tyrant who is fighting a brutal and indecisive war in Yemen with American help. Given Trump’s hostility toward traditional allies in Europe and the general Muslim hostility toward American policy in the Middle East, the U.S. has virtually no possibility of international help in the region. It is noteworthy that no significant Iraqi security forces showed up to defend the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad until the Shiite militants controlled by Iran withdrew from the area. Meanwhile, Turkey pays little attention to Washington and cooperates with Russia to expand its influence in Syria. Does the United States now fight and go deeper into the Middle East or withdraw under Iranian pressure? Given the foreign affairs and national security incompetence of this president, his disregard for professional knowledge and experience and his impulsive decision-making process, I have no confidence that this administration can handle the war they stimulated when they withdrew from the nuclear arms deal with Iran.

Well, Trump now has the war with Iran that he wanted when he unilaterally withdrew the US from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the "Iran nuclear deal".

So much for getting us out of endless ME wars and bringing all of the US troops home as Trump promised on the campaign trail in 2015-2016.

Related: Trump enters uncharted territory with Iran

The strike represented a major escalation in the ongoing tit-for-tat that started when Trump withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal in 2018.

Well, Trump now has the war with Iran that he wanted when he unilaterally withdrew the US from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the "Iran nuclear deal".

So much for getting us out of endless ME wars and bringing all of the US troops home as Trump promised on the campaign trail in 2015-2016.

So, killing a terrorist general of a fascist regime is now somehow equivalent to killing an American general in Central Command? How so? The fascist terrorist had followed through on 12 previous attacks against American interests prior to the attack on our embassy and the killing of an American. It wasn't just one thing before killing the fascist terrorist who I won't even name. Why are Democrats supporting fascist terrorists? I thought Democrats believe Trump and Conservatives are fascist Nazis? But, now Democrats are supporting fascist Nazis, the same Muslim Terrorists that supported and fought along side Hitler. Hmmm...Trump Derangement Syndrome causes multiple confusion inside the brains of Democrats and some Republicans who have been contaminated with alien fascist spores. Interesting...

There is no war. Nothing new is going on. The same old threats and occasional attacks and bombings. The psychosis of the Democrats is worse than I thought...:2wave:

So, killing a terrorist general of a fascist regime is now somehow equivalent to killing an American general in Central Command?

Because he was an extremely high ranking officer and powerful person in Iran.

Imagine what would happen if the Ukrainians assassinated Putin. What do you think would happen?

I don't think Trump wanted war when he withdrew from the nuclear deal with Iran. He simply thought he could bully them into negotiating with him. Considering that he broke the last deal, it's not surprising that the Iranians don't want to make another one with him. Trump doesn't want a war with Iran, but he may bumble into one.

There is no war. Nothing new is going on. The same old threats and occasional attacks and bombings. The psychosis of the Democrats is worse than I thought...:2wave:

Yup.

But we definitely need 30-40 more threads about it.

With impeachment dead, this is the new lunatic Democult talking point.

:shrug:

Last edited:
Because he was an extremely high ranking officer and powerful person in Iran.

Imagine what would happen if the Ukrainians assassinated Putin. What do you think would happen?

I don't know. What would happen? You seem to know so much of the future. Do you have a seer stone or something? He was an officer in the middle of conflict and got killed. That's what happens when high ranking officers go to war zones they have created. Let's turn your question around. What would happen if Putin assassinated Zelensky of the Ukraine? Pretty much nothing, right! Same here. What is Iran going to do? They will continue to be an obnoxious flea biting the butt of an elephant. The problem with Liberals is they are afraid of their own shadows. They can't stand up to thugs like Iranian mullahs. Heck, Pelosi and Shumer can't stand up to AOC let alone terrorists from foreign countries. So, Democrats need to stop interrupting those who are doing and stopping terrorists. He was not a part of a government. He was a part of a terrorist group who have hijacked the Iranian people.

I don't know. What would happen?

What would happen? The 20th Guards Army would pour into Eastern Ukraine, annihilate the Ukrainian Army and reduce Kiev to rubble while the rest of Europe watches because clearly the Ukrainians have lost their god damn minds.

He was an officer in the middle of conflict and got killed. That's what happens when high ranking officers go to war zones they have created. Let's turn your question around. What would happen if Putin assassinated Zelensky of the Ukraine?

Are you insane? Assassinating a head of state is a declaration of war wrapped in the smoke of an expended cartridge. If Russia did that they would be on the brink of war, but since Russia is much more powerful than Ukraine, the Ukrainians would have to be insane to try to retaliate.

What is Iran going to do?

Kill more Americans and their allies.

He was not a part of a government. He was a part of a terrorist group who have hijacked the Iranian people.

He was a member of the Iranian Armed Forces. The IRGC is part of the Iranian military.

I don't think Trump wanted war when he withdrew from the nuclear deal with Iran. He simply thought he could bully them into negotiating with him. Considering that he broke the last deal, it's not surprising that the Iranians don't want to make another one with him. Trump doesn't want a war with Iran, but he may bumble into one.

So, your understanding is that we should simply turn our backs when Americans are killed by terrorists? We aren't at war with Iran. So, this terrorist that Trump had killed was not acting as though war had been declared against Iran. The battles going on are all inside the heads of the terrorists. If they stop, we stop. If we stop, they won't stop. It's that simple. We have to stop those who carry out terrorism. Why do Democrats side with terrorists? Obama did. He gave them 150 billion dollars to use for weapons to kill Americans, Jews and Muslims who don't agree with them. Obama gave Putin uranium in which Putin gives to Iran to further their nuclear bomb building. Why do Democrats do these things that will ultimately hurt Americans? Why side with terrorists?

He was a member of the Iranian Armed Forces. The IRGC is part of the Iranian military.

Yes. He was a Major General in the IRGC and Commander of the Quds Force.

Arguably, the second most powerful/influential individual in the Iranian government.

What would happen? The 20th Guards Army would pour into Eastern Ukraine, annihilate the Ukrainian Army and reduce Kiev to rubble while the rest of Europe watches because clearly the Ukrainians have lost their god damn minds.

Cougarbear: But, that's not what happened. The terrorist was killed while involved in planning and carrying out more attacks to kill Americans. He chose to be there so, so be it. Have a nice life with 72 dogs.

Are you insane? Assassinating a head of state is a declaration of war wrapped in the smoke of an expended cartridge. If Russia did that they would be on the brink of war, but since Russia is much more powerful than Ukraine, the Ukrainians would have to be insane to try to retaliate.

Cougarbear: It's your analogy turned on your head. Meaning are you insane? And, we are by far more powerful than Iran. The question is, do we have a President who would defend America if Iran tried to fight back? Or, would we have a commander in hiding like Obama? So, you answered my question supporting myself. Thank you.

Kill more Americans and their allies.

Cougarbear: We will see. Iran now knows Trump is not Obama and can't be fooled. Trump draws a line in the sand and means it. Obama and Hillary drew a line in the sand one time and just sat there playing with sand. We don't need Democrats and Liberals telling true Americans how to defend ourselves. The Constitution gives that right to the Commander in Chief. In this case, we have a real Commander in Chief, not Obama.

Cougarbear: So what? He is a terrorist in a terrorist nation. He was in the wrong place at the right time. Glad he was there and glad he's dead. It's like when Trump bombed Syria after Putin crossed the line there. A few Russians were killed and weapons destroyed. Are we at war with Russia. Emotional jumping to conclusions that don't exist is what happens when terrorist supporting Democrats try to sound rational. They simply don't know how to do it.

Yes. He was a Major General in the IRGC and Commander of the Quds Force.

Arguably, the second most powerful/influential individual in the Iranian government.

And, big deal. He was in a battle zone and was killed. Good riddance. He isn't the only commander of a fascist terrorist organization or government that has been killed.

Cougarbear: So what? He is a terrorist in a terrorist nation. He was in the wrong place at the right time. Glad he was there and glad he's dead. It's like when Trump bombed Syria after Putin crossed the line there. A few Russians were killed and weapons destroyed. Are we at war with Russia. Emotional jumping to conclusions that don't exist is what happens when terrorist supporting Democrats try to sound rational. They simply don't know how to do it.

Against my better judgement; do you have a link for this?

Wartime tax rates now.

You know it's bad when the Republican president says 'we don't want war'. Remember how hard Bush said he didn't want war with Iraq, over and over, all the time. His infamous 'I have no war plans on my desk' dodge, and so on. They just can't say it loudly or often enough, they don't want war.

In case he doesn't reply, you won't be surprised to hear that trump bent over backwards to avoid hitting Russians.

Mr. Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon on Friday night that the strike was devised to minimize the chances of accidentally killing Russian soldiers...

For all that, Russia loomed large in the discussions back in Washington about how to proceed....

With days of warning that Mr. Trump planned to take action, Syria moved some of its aircraft to a Russian base in hopes of deterring Americans from attacking there — and, in turn, igniting aggressions between the two Cold War powers. Mr. Trump made sure not to target that base on Friday, averting the chance of hitting Russian targets but also sparing the Syrian air force.

President Trump Talked Tough. But His Strike on Syria Was Restrained. - The New York Times

You know it's bad when the Republican president says 'we don't want war'. Remember how hard Bush said he didn't want war with Iraq, over and over, all the time. His infamous 'I have no war plans on my desk' dodge, and so on. They just can't say it loudly or often enough, they don't want war.

Several of pro-Trump supporters here to a man and woman said they cannot vote for him now.

Last edited:

LOL, What's really fun is..................... YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!! Yet, Coleslaw keeps coming out.

Several of them were women, and thinking about the issue, Trump's war stance is going to drive many women in the middle to vote against him.

Ummmmmmmm, what do you think you call it when Iran attacks our embassy?

And, big deal. He was in a battle zone and was killed. Good riddance. He isn't the only commander of a fascist terrorist organization or government that has been killed.

Ummmmmmmm, what do you think you call it when Iran attacks our embassy?

Unfortunately, for tRump and U.S., international law view's Iran as a sovereign state and their military personnel enjoy the rights of law and treaties.

But then again, they did attack us first, you can't attack a Nations embassy, but that was, ostensibly, a civilian mob and doesn't qualify as a military attack. I think tRump, as little as it is, stepped on his dick again. Not that is matters, if you want to start a war, one excuse is as good as another. I think tRump wanted to show the world and his base (in light of his pending impeachment, that he's a bad ass; but, as usual, came off, to the international community, as a dumb ass … AGAIN!

Cougarbear: So what? He is a terrorist in a terrorist nation. He was in the wrong place at the right time. Glad he was there and glad he's dead.

So would the Soviets have been in the right to assassinate any CIA operative they found in Afghanistan in the 1980s?

It's like when Trump bombed Syria after Putin crossed the line there. A few Russians were killed and weapons destroyed.

What are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom