• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

['W: 998][W:371]Empire' star Jussie Smollett attacked in possible hate crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Jussie Smollett attacked in possible hate crime - CNN
Empire" actor Jussie Smollett was attacked in the early morning hours on Tuesday in what Chicago police are calling a possible hate crime.

Smollett was attacked by two people "yelling out racial and homophobic slurs," according to police.
A representative for Smollett did not immediately return CNN's request for comment.
The offenders physically attacked Smollett and "poured an unknown chemical substance on the victim," police said.
According to police, one of Smollett's alleged attackers also put a rope around his neck. Both fled the scene.
Smollett took himself to Northwestern Hospital and "is in good condition," police said.
This is disturbing. It's slowly becoming 1954 America again. There's a troubling documentary on Netflix about the resurgence of the Klan. What I took away from watching it besides a group of insecure people blaming others for their problems is that they should recruit members with some teeth.

Re: Empire' star Jussie Smollett attacked in possible hate crime

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/entertainment/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html This is disturbing. It's slowly becoming 1954 America again. There's a troubling documentary on Netflix about the resurgence of the Klan. What I took away from watching it besides a group of insecure people blaming others for their problems is that they should recruit members with some teeth.

Smollett said his attackers yelled "MAGA country" during the assault.

Trump country is not a great country

For those people who ignore or deny discrimination, who presume to tell racial, sexuality, and gender minorities that we imagine and exaggerate our fear, who claim that we live in a post-racial society, and who scoff at us when we get refused service at a bakery and thrown out of the military, we fight as if our lives depend on it because they do. Your silence is approval. Your explanations literally endanger our existence. We need your voices. The incident in the OP can never, ever happen in a civilized society. We have regressed to a terrifying and disgusting standard.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/entertainment/jussie-smollett-attack/index.html This is disturbing. It's slowly becoming 1954 America again. There's a troubling documentary on Netflix about the resurgence of the Klan. What I took away from watching it besides a group of insecure people blaming others for their problems is that they should recruit members with some teeth.

Its really sad that this thread topic despite trending worldwide on social media and the efforts to help smollett is growing by the minute, is not as popular as the topic is around the rest of the country/world. Shows you everything you need to know about this place and what's important here.

I am the fifth poster on this thread in 24 hours. What's the matter DP? Truth too hard to swallow?

Its really sad that this thread topic despite trending worldwide on social media and the efforts to help smollett is growing by the minute, is not as popular as the topic is around the rest of the country/world. Shows you everything you need to know about this place and what's important here.

I am the fifth poster on this thread in 24 hours. What's the matter DP? Truth too hard to swallow?

Either that or people are posting in one of the other threads.

In light of the recent BuzzFeed and Covington incidents, I'm going to let this marinate for a few days first.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Either that or people are posting in one of the other threads.

There's only one other thread that I'm counting. The other is a CT thread of people refusing to believe it, even though on social media all his friends are wishing him a speedy recovery and decrying racism. When you live in an alternate reality and your leader commands of you to live by the motto, "what you see and read isn't real," then you need your head examined.

There's only one other thread that I'm counting. The other is a CT thread of people refusing to believe it, even though on social media all his friends are wishing him a speedy recovery and decrying racism. When you live in an alternate reality and your leader commands of you to live by the motto, "what you see and read isn't real," then you need your head examined.

So you just want to post in a thread where more people agree with you? Why not start one?

So you just want to post in a thread where more people agree with you? Why not start one?

I'm not touching that crazy thread with a ten foot pole.

I hope they catch the offenders and throw the book at them. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I'm wishing him the best.

I could not agree more. In fact, I just logged on today to read this thread. It was so low on the list that I thought no one had posted about the story yet. Then I scanned the far more popular threads above it. So many people have warped priorities and refuse to do a simple, right thing like condemn an alleged horrific hate crime. It's so disgusting.

In light of the recent BuzzFeed and Covington incidents, I'm going to let this marinate for a few days first.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Smollett confirmed himself that the attack occurred. What more do you want to know?

Furthermore, even if there was any doubt that Smollett was assaulted, why would it not occur to you to say something like, "Whether or not this happened, what was described can never be tolerated."

I love the warped perception of the other threads. It's very telling. They absolutely aren't okay with something like this happening. They just aren't insane enough to believe this guy when zero evidence can be found in the preponderance of video cameras or at the scene or anything. God forbid that people want some evidence that this changing story (police say they had to clarify that there was no way for him to identify the race of the "attackers" and that the MAGA country wasn't actually said).

I would say guilty until proven innocent, but we don't even have any sign of potential persons of interest as the victim was the only one who saw anything.

As with all the others who are willing to look for the little details like evidence and corroboration, I still condemn anyone who might have attacked the actor and have no respect for racism in any form.

I live near Chicago, so it was big news here.

I personally have some doubts on the story, but am withholding judgement, for sure.

Although, CNN has an update form theCPD.. And the CPD indicates after searching hundreds of hours of video, they can't find anything.

They did find Smollet standing alone outside (or was it inside) the Subway, though.

For those people who ignore or deny discrimination, who presume to tell racial, sexuality, and gender minorities that we imagine and exaggerate our fear, who claim that we live in a post-racial society, and who scoff at us when we get refused service at a bakery and thrown out of the military, we fight as if our lives depend on it because they do. Your silence is approval. Your explanations literally endanger our existence. We need your voices. The incident in the OP can never, ever happen in a civilized society. We have regressed to a terrifying and disgusting standard.

So waiting for evidence or confirmation is ignoring discrimination ?

People are right to be suspicious giving all of the times these incidents have turned out to be hoaxes.

What a foul proposition. What is there to disagree about? A gay, black man was called racist and homophobic slurs, beaten in the street, and had bleach poured on him and a noose wrapped around his neck. I haven't seen the other thread NeverTrump mentioned, but I am thoroughly revolted that it exists. There is nothing to debate here among decent human beings.

I love the warped perception of the other threads. It's very telling. They absolutely aren't okay with something like this happening. They just aren't insane enough to believe this guy when zero evidence can be found in the preponderance of video cameras or at the scene or anything. God forbid that people want some evidence that this changing story (police say they had to clarify that there was no way for him to identify the race of the "attackers" and that the MAGA country wasn't actually said).

I would say guilty until proven innocent, but we don't even have any sign of potential persons of interest as the victim was the only one who saw anything.

As with all the others who are willing to look for the little details like evidence and corroboration, I still condemn anyone who might have attacked the actor and have no respect for racism in any form.

It takes a special kind of person to call the victim's own words and the responding police department's response "zero evidence". It's the same kind of person who calls female victims of sexual assault liars. The entire world is expressing support and well wishes for Smollett - except for DP posters.

Sorry, you're made up stories simply make us laugh.

Try something better than a couple of racist white dudes in MAGA hats with a death wish roaming around Chicago at 2am with some rope and bleach looking for some blacks to lynch.

I mean seriously, if you don't want everyone to think your side is a joke, stop falling for these ridiculously implausible stories.

It's the same kind of person who calls female victims of sexual assault liars.

But.. Some of them are.

Is it wrong to call someone a liar when they lied, even if they lied about something as personal, wrong and important as the above?

His story might be a bit suspect.

It takes a special kind of person to call the victim's own words and the responding police department's response "zero evidence". It's the same kind of person who calls female victims of sexual assault liars. The entire world is expressing support and well wishes for Smollett - except for DP posters.

Show me the response from the police department where they found any evidence outside his words? We'd all be interested to see that.

It takes a special kind of person to assume all "victims" are telling the truth when it fits a narrative and follows several high-profile hoaxes and lacks evidence.

I do hope he gets better physically and I hope that it's not a mental condition that put him in this condition in the first place. Your little argumentem ad populum doesn't give me any more reason to trust this guy's story, either. Lots of people wish him better. That doesn't mean he was actually attacked or that it was based on race/sexuality.

Look, I actually hope he's insane and made it up. It would mean one crazy guy instead of multiple violent racists out there. Either way, we got people with mental conditions in the mix. No one is saying that the described event is okay. They are just saying a description isn't evidence and we are getting slammed with hoax after hoax trying to ruin race relations in this country.

So waiting for evidence or confirmation is ignoring discrimination ?

People are right to be suspicious giving all of the times these incidents have turned out to be hoaxes.

Do you want the man's ****ing hospital records? The evidence that you and people like you conveniently ignore when crimes against women and other minorities occur is, in this case, Smollett saying that it happened. He reported it to the police. He received medical attention for it. To believe that a famous man with everything to lose would make up a story about a hate crime as grotesque as the one he described is willful denial for disgusting reasons and nothing more.

Smollett confirmed himself that the attack occurred. What more do you want to know?

Furthermore, even if there was any doubt that Smollett was assaulted, why would it not occur to you to say something like, "Whether or not this happened, what was described can never be tolerated."

There's been no confirmation at all. Confirmation bias ? Yes, plenty of that as people jump at the chance to politicize this story.

Sorry, you're made up stories simply make us laugh.

Try something better than a couple of racist white dudes in MAGA hats with a death wish roaming around Chicago at 2am with some rope and bleach looking for some blacks to lynch.

I mean seriously, if you don't want everyone to think your side is a joke, stop falling for these ridiculously implausible stories.

Your post is disgusting and subhuman. I bet you call female victims of sexual assault lying sluts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom