• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:98]A Mississippi Man Lost His Nursing Job After He Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In

JasperL

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Headline: A Mississippi Man Lost His Nursing Job After He Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Midterms

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/mississippi-racist-shirt-vote-viral-photo

I saw this on election day. Some people had identified him as a poll worker, which wasn't true, but it's a helluva shirt to wear out on election day to cast your vote.

If anyone needs to know why the "Confederate" flag carries its bad reputation, look at the picture below. He might as well be wearing a white robe. Good to see his employer didn't put up with it.

DrhD5eaVsAAMYlQ.jpg

Re: A Mississippi Man Lost His Nursing Job After He Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Mid

Headline: A Mississippi Man Lost His Nursing Job After He Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Midterms

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/mississippi-racist-shirt-vote-viral-photo

I saw this on election day. Some people had identified him as a poll worker, which wasn't true, but it's a helluva shirt to wear out on election day to cast your vote.

If anyone needs to know why the "Confederate" flag carries its bad reputation, look at the picture below. He might as well be wearing a white robe. Good to see his employer didn't put up with it.

View attachment 67243961

It's just astounding that there are people who are actually proud of wearing a disgusting racist article of clothing in a public place. They're PROUD!

Speaking of racism......where's the caravan? You know 'THE caravan', the one filled with men - really bad men, MS13 men and Middle East men, terrorist men.... and women - bad women, job-stealing Central American women.....and children bad children, camera ready, paid for by George Soros children.

According to Vox, the morning show on Fox and Friends made up 11 mentions of the caravan on Friday, 10 mentions of the caravan on Monday, 9 on Tuesday and since then.......nothing. Funny but before the election on Tuesday they couldn't say enough about the 'threats' of the caravan. It was drama for election day and now the elections are done, so it's not useful anymore.

Fox News reports that the caravan is close, 'nearly here at our Southern Border' (OMG!) But it has reached somewhere South of Mexico City. Does Fox know where Mexico City is and how many miles or how long it will take anyone to reach one of the southern borders walking all the way?

Re: A Mississippi Man Lost His Nursing Job After He Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Mid

That is one stupid Mississippian.

Had the shirt just had the flag I doubt he would have lost his job. Combining it with a noose, though? Kind of hard to sell that as not racist. I’m sure some people will try, though.

That is one stupid Mississippian.

He is that. He's either a racist, which in my experience also means "stupid." Or he doesn't care if people think he's a racist, even if he's not, which is also stupid. And then he wore this shirt to the polls, and has a good job, and it never occurred to this moron that maybe after 10,000 examples of dumbasses like him going viral on social media, his racist shirt might go viral and his employer would then fire his dumb ass.

So, after giving it some thought, I think you're right and he's got all the "stupid" bases covered.

He is that. He's either a racist, which in my experience also means "stupid." Or he doesn't care if people think he's a racist, even if he's not, which is also stupid. And then he wore this shirt to the polls, and has a good job, and it never occurred to this moron that maybe after 10,000 examples of dumbasses like him going viral on social media, his racist shirt might go viral and his employer would then fire his dumb ass.

So, after giving it some thought, I think you're right and he's got all the "stupid" bases covered.

He must have voted for Democrats. Or so you would believe around here.

He must have voted for Democrats. Or so you would believe around here.

Yesteryear, they did vote for Democrats in what was known as the Solid South. Today they vote for Republicans. The catalyst in that switch was LBJ signing the Equal Rights Act, followed by Nixon's Southern Strategy. A few hangers on remained Democrat, but 90 percent of them went Republican. So yes, racists supported Democrats at one time. Today they support Republicans. The GOP today is not the Party of Lincoln, as FOX News would like you to believe.

View attachment 67243961

Guy is obviously a douche.

Now, here's where I am going to get flak as per the norm.

Nothing in the picture is showing that this guy was advertising Regional One Health in any way. Is their justification for firing him simply because he's racist? Is that really the precedent that we want to set? Do we really want Corporations to be determining what can and can't be said? Who's next? If he had been advertising them in some way shape or form I could understand the firing. But he wasn't.

Yesteryear, they did vote for Democrats in what was known as the Solid South. Today they vote for Republicans. The catalyst in that switch was LBJ signing the Equal Rights Act, followed by Nixon's Southern Strategy. A few hangers on remained Democrat, but 90 percent of them went Republican. So yes, racists supported Democrats at one time. Today they support Republicans. The GOP today is not the Party of Lincoln, as FOX News would like you to believe.

No, that's not true. this has been debunked many times.

The south's political shift began in the 1950s, and was a product of increasinly industrialization and Christian identification with republicans, the civil rights act had nothing to do with it.

Richard Nixon won every state except Minnesota if I remember correctly in 72, Nixon's election was due to his anti-communist stance, not because of the CRA

Nothing in the picture is showing that this guy was advertising Regional One Health in any way. Is their justification for firing him simply because he's racist? Is that really the precedent that we want to set? Do we really want Corporations to be determining what can and can't be said? Who's next? If he had been advertising them in some way shape or form I could understand the firing. But he wasn't.

I mean I hear you, but seeing as I'm a free market capitalist I view private employers as having the at-will right to terminate employees for any reason, unless he has a union contract (highly unlikely in Miss) I don't see why his firing is wrong.

Also, if he works somewhere where there's a lot of minority employees and this is known in the work place, it can create a bad work environment that's a distraction to the objectives of the organization.

Buzzfeed??? You may as well link your own personal blog!

I certainly want businesses to be free to hire or fire anyone, for any reason. The loss of freedom incurred due to government mandating any of that is worse than whatever you consider appropriate.

I mean I hear you, but seeing as I'm a free market capitalist I view private employers as having the at-will right to terminate employees for any reason, unless he has a union contract (highly unlikely in Miss) I don't see why his firing is wrong.

Also, if he works somewhere where there's a lot of minority employees and this is known in the work place, it can create a bad work environment that's a distraction to the objectives of the organization.

I certainly want businesses to be free to hire or fire anyone, for any reason. The loss of freedom incurred due to government mandating any of that is worse than whatever you consider appropriate.

I agree with both of you. A business should be able to be free to hire or fire anyone, for any reason. However we already have the government telling people that they must not discriminate via AA laws. It is because of those AA laws that I stated what I did. As long as we have those then they should be applied equally across the board. That IS what the 14th Amendment is about after all. Making sure that all laws are applied equally across the board.

View attachment 67243961

I am sure there is an intern job in trump's whitehouse that he could fill. He could work alongside that intern that assaulted Acosta the other day.

It's just astounding that there are people who are actually proud of wearing a disgusting racist article of clothing in a public place. They're PROUD!

Speaking of racism......where's the caravan? You know 'THE caravan', the one filled with men - really bad men, MS13 men and Middle East men, terrorist men.... and women - bad women, job-stealing Central American women.....and children bad children, camera ready, paid for by George Soros children.

According to Vox, the morning show on Fox and Friends made up 11 mentions of the caravan on Friday, 10 mentions of the caravan on Monday, 9 on Tuesday and since then.......nothing. Funny but before the election on Tuesday they couldn't say enough about the 'threats' of the caravan. It was drama for election day and now the elections are done, so it's not useful anymore.

Fox News reports that the caravan is close, 'nearly here at our Southern Border' (OMG!) But it has reached somewhere South of Mexico City. Does Fox know where Mexico City is and how many miles or how long it will take anyone to reach one of the southern borders walking all the way?

One of the dangerous caravan criminals killed 12 people in a C&W bar in California. Oh wait - it was a WHITE man who murdered these people. Probably another white supremacist trump supporter. But trump's thoughts and prayers will be enough for the victim's families.

Buzzfeed??? You may as well link your own personal blog!

It is all over the local news here, it isn't a fake story or anything.

The corporation is not some random one. The corporation is his employer that has to protect it's name and customer base.

The Federal government has not tried to silence this man in any way.

This man has his right to wear his shirt to all his new job interviews he wishes.

Had the shirt just had the flag I doubt he would have lost his job. Combining it with a noose, though? Kind of hard to sell that as not racist. I’m sure some people will try, though.

Especially when you throw in "Mississippi Justice", it is obvious the message that shirt is implying and it is sickening.

The corporation is not some random one. The corporation is his employer that has to protect it's name and customer base.

The Federal government has not tried to silence this man in any way.

This man has his right to wear his shirt to all his new job interviews he wishes.

I understand an employer protecting its name. Which is why I said "If he had been advertising them in some way shape or form I could understand the firing." But there is no indication that he did so. Which means that they had nothing to protect because he was not associating his message with theirs. He was at the voting booth. Where people literally go to express their political opinions.

They let other people see how you are voting in Miss? No privacy? Secondly how tall was the person who took this pic?
Lastly, they allow people to not only watch your vote but take pictures of you in the process as well? Seems this guy has a lawsuit against his town for infringing upon his constitutional right to vote.

It is all over the local news here, it isn't a fake story or anything.

post a local valid news story, there are multiple issues with this story.

That gentleman has a right to his opinion, but advertising it on his T-shirt was beyond belief.

He not only lost his job, but he could also have been physically attacked.

Most people keep their mouths shut in public. They express their opinion through their life decisions (e.g., where they decide to live, what school they send their children to, etc.).

In this UNIQUE country, all the various groups are not expected to love one another but they are expected to act civilly toward one another in public.

I understand an employer protecting its name. Which is why I said "If he had been advertising them in some way shape or form I could understand the firing." But there is no indication that he did so. Which means that they had nothing to protect because he was not associating his message with theirs. He was at the voting booth. Where people literally go to express their political opinions.

The information got back to his employer. They made the determination that their association was not comparable.

I don't understand what you are arguing.

Do we really want Corporations to be determining what can and can't be said?

Like I said. This is not a random corporation and there is no indication that random corporations are stepping in on American's right to free speech.

Another shaving cut from the 1st Amendment block.

I was thinking the same. I get that the shirt is just plain wrong, but unless the guy is at a job related function wearing it (tying him to that employer) what he wears when he is not working shouldn't be the employer's business. And certainly not something to lose your job over.

Back
Top Bottom