• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:911] Documentary exposing the hidden history of Israel's founding

I find that liberals who seem to care about human rights, including many Democrats, seem to have values and ethics regarding human rights that stop at Israel's borders -- and demand things of the Palestinians that would NEVER be acceptable when applied to any other group. I also find that while Ukraine is a concern for many, Yemen is not. It's a curious coincidence.
I think there are various reasons, three of which are APAIC's power, warped media, and ignorance.

To make Israel political poison in US politics and organize to undo anti-BDS laws in the US.

Okay, but making Israel political poison in the US isn't exactly likely to happen; it's not as if this hasn't been tried over the past twenty-odd years. Your plan is do one borderline impossible thing - radically altering mainstream American opinions against the only Middle Eastern democracy, which would likely take decades if at all - in the hopes that it might help put pressure towards another borderline impossible thing. And as I suggested, the loss of US aid would hardly cripple Israel, while any hypothetical strongly pro-Palestine UNSC resolutions would be blocked by China if not America... so there's no obvious reason this plan would work even if the American half succeeded.

Again, don't get me wrong, there's some situations so clear-cut, so good and evil that they're worth struggling for at almost any cost, even if it's a hopeless struggle. Palestinian statehood in some capacity, for example. But East Jerusalem? A Palestinian 'right of return'? Staking Palestinians' wellbeing on those most dubious and intractible points of contention after so many decades of failure to get them - or for international supporters to encourage the continued staking of Palestinians' wellbeing on them - seems questionable at best, if not unethical.

Netanyahu is a relative moderate in right-wing Israeli politics, and it's the right-wing that dominates Israeli politics. Netanyahu's current coalition is far more extreme than previous ones.

Netanyahu is right wing and corrupt. We need another Yitzhak Rabin( who was very right wing). He was a courageous general in war who later turned all his efforts towards peace and paid for it with his life. There are other, good Israelis like Rabin. We need to throw out the Trumps and the Netanyahus.

Netanyahu is right wing and corrupt. We need another Yitzhak Rabin( who was very right wing). He was a courageous general in war who later turned all his efforts towards peace and paid for it with his life. There are other, good Israelis like Rabin. We need to throw out the Trumps and the Netanyahus.

I looked up how the assassin is doing. Serving life. But there's a right-wing following of him, he got fan mail from teenage girls, a woman married him in prison and in 2020 formed a political party to free him; it only got 729 votes, but that was enough to place 20th of 38 parties. There are conspiracy theories that he's innocent. He's unrepentant. His brother was sentenced to 12 years for hollowing the bullets.

When his brother was released, right-wing activists threw a party for him to celebrate him and praised him. His release was delayed by a year after he said he could call people to assassinate another PM.

Anwar Sadat was another military officer (colonel) turned national leader who was assassinated for his peace-making efforts. In his case opposed not just by extremists; Egypt was suspended from the Arab League as a whole (1979-89) for daring to make peace with Israel, despite the deal including the peaceful return of the Sinai peninsula to Egypt.

Because we stole our country
I'm not sure there is any human on the face of the planet who can't point to some history at some point where their ancestors were dicks to other humans.

It's kinda our standard behavior, and only by developing better societies have we even partially avoided it.

But you gotta face the reality, not hide it behind rewriting of history.

Anwar Sadat was another military officer (colonel) turned national leader who was assassinated for his peace-making efforts. In his case opposed not just by extremists; Egypt was suspended from the Arab League as a whole (1979-89) for daring to make peace with Israel, despite the deal including the peaceful return of the Sinai peninsula to Egypt.

Sadat was the other side of the coin that made the peace between Egypt and Israel possible. I could not agree with you more. Had we been speaking of those responsible for Middle East progress towards peace and not just of bellicose Israelis, I would have mentioned him!

Because it is counter productive.....thats why.
Odd you would feel the need to reply to a one-word, one-year-old post, but given that you have, don’t you think the events of Oct 7 have proven that it’s worth sorting right from wrong in this mess?

Back
Top Bottom