• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:88] Why was Mary confused?

And you're saying that I'm the one who's following Satan?

You're turning the mother of Jesus - the most blessed woman on this planet -

into a self-absorbed, psychological freak!

Just curious - why do you think Mary wouldn't have wanted to enjoy a normal marital life?

Her question was directly about how this could happen because she knows not man (ie is a virgin). If she's planning on having sex, then why would there be this question? Zechariah didn't ask this. Neither did Abraham. Nor did Samson's parents. Why wouldn't Mary assume that she would get pregnant like all the other announced births? Your explanation didn't make sense because if she's thinking about the prophesied virgin birth, then she shouldn't make the point about knowing not man.
You repeating the same thing over and over isnt working. We keep asking you to explain.

That should be obvious, since so many keep asking you.

Read it again. And, again.

I'm not changing anything. I'm simply envisioning how a conversation would've flowed considering the natural interest of Mary
(with that question).

Why wouldn't it be normal for a young teenage virgin to ask "how can I have a baby when I'm a virgin?" She wanted details!
That's a normal reaction!

Lol - you're making her abnormal with your translation that she never intended to have sex even after marriage!
Lol - how did you get to that conclusion with that simple, normal question? You saying she's got psychological issues?
She's sick? She hates sex? Lol - you think she was a lesbian in the closet? :ROFLMAO:

IF SHE WAS ALL THAT BLESSED AND DEVOTED TO GOD -
do you really think she would've shirked away from being a true wife and mother?

What kind of marriage do you imagine for her? Marriage without sex?

She would've deprived Joseph and had become an enabler in him committing adultery?

Mary had pushed Joseph to commit adultery?
She was complicit with adultery?
You saying they are a DYSFUNCTIONAL family?

Being betrothed doesn't mean getting married next month! Do we even know when she and Joseph were supposed to get married?

Mary and Joseph had a NORMAL marriage - complete with a healthy sex-life as shown by their numerous children!
The siblings of Jesus weren't from surrogates!

If there is something out of the norm in their relationship - it would've surely been detailed in the Scriptures!

Mary did not die a virgin! That's what you're trying to promote!
I'm promoting that because that's what the entire early Church believed. It wasn't until the generation after Luther that people started denying this.

If you were to tell a girl who's engaged that she will have a son, in no way could you possibly conceive that she would ask how she's going to get pregnant. Mary isn't a dolt.

You're turning the mother of Jesus - the most blessed woman on this planet -

into a self-absorbed, psychological freak!

Just curious - why do you think Mary wouldn't have wanted to enjoy a normal marital life?
She was a consecrated virgin who wed Joseph for protection. Your position is the novelty. I'm only defending what the Church has always taught.

Honestly...

This stuff is like a heated argument between two Star Wars super-fans about "canon", but manages to be sillier. At least they don't claim Star Wars is a real thing that happened somewhere, just like you saw it in the movies.

She was a consecrated virgin who wed Joseph for protection. Your position is the novelty. I'm only defending what the Church has always taught.

Then why did you start the OP? What question were you asking?

And again, please post a quote of WHY they explain why that "perpetual virginity" has meaning?

Which is just another one of many pagan beliefs adopted by the church to "accommodate the “pagan masses” that were streaming into the church"...

Origins of the Belief

“In several ancient religions,” observes Jesuit priest Ignace de la Potterie, “virginity had a sacral value. Certain goddesses (Anath, Artemis, Athena) were called virgins.” Yet, what does that have to do with Mary? Catholic priest Andrew Greeley explains: “The Mary symbol links Christianity directly to the ancient religions of mother goddesses.”

Professor of church history Ernst W. Benz comments on this link with ancient pagan religions. “Veneration of the mother of God,” he wrote in The New Encyclopædia Britannica, “received its impetus when the Christian Church became the imperial church under Constantine and the pagan masses streamed into the church. . . . [The peoples’] piety and religious consciousness had been formed for millennia through the cult of the ‘great mother’ goddess and the ‘divine virgin,’ a development that led all the way from the old popular religions of Babylonia and Assyria . . . Despite the unfavourable presuppositions in the tradition of the Gospels, cultic veneration of the divine virgin and mother found within the Christian Church a new possibility of expression in the worship of Mary.”

But what moved the Roman Church to adapt and adopt the “great mother” goddess and “divine virgin” cult? For one thing, the “pagan masses” coming into the church wanted it; they felt at home in a church that venerated a ‘great virgin mother.’ “In Egypt,” Professor Benz notes, “Mary was, at an early point, already worshipped under the title of the bearer of God (Theotokos).” So the “divine virgin” cult was adopted to accommodate the “pagan masses” that were streaming into the church.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101985803?q=perpetual+virginity+of+Mary&p=sen
Some of the 'pagan' religions in the Middle East celebrated the ritual coupling of a virgin priestess with a young man of her choosing at the Spring Equinox to represent the copulating of the god and goddess, bringing fertility to Earth and the crops. I sometimes wonder if the story of the virgin birth somehow stems from there.

I'm promoting that because that's what the entire early Church believed. It wasn't until the generation after Luther that people started denying this.

If you were to tell a girl who's engaged that she will have a son, in no way could you possibly conceive that she would ask how she's going to get pregnant. Mary isn't a dolt.

You mean....it's what the Catholic church, as in the Vatican, wants you to believe.

NOWHERE IN THE EARLY CHURCH - AS IN THE TIME OF JESUS, AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER THAT IS IT EVER INDICATED IN ANY WAY THAT MARY DIED A VIRGIN!

That's the kind of FAMILY institution being promoted by God when He created
the institution of marriage?

A DYSFUNCTIONAL family?

I bet, you'd be saying Mary was the one wearing the pants in that household!

Lol - why doesn't the Catholic Church bless same-sex marriage, and all things considered fornication in the Bible,
after all they're promoting that kind of Satanic corruption of the Scriptures?

Something so extra-ordinary (meaning Jesus grew up with a dysfunctional family with whatever was buzzing in Mary's bonnet for refusing her marital obligations to her husband, and thereby actually pushed him to commit adultery - and raising up his bastards to boot) -

that's what you want as the background of Jesus! And Jesus condoned it too - He never rebuked their lifestyle!

And, on top of that.....Jesus went around preaching hypocrisy!

Is that your god?

Such a cockamamie thought!

Last edited:

Your source ALSO says:

There is no biblical basis for the belief, which arose at the end of the 2nd century in ascetic circles who believed that sex and marriage were symptoms of original sin,[5] and was affirmed as orthodoxy during the 4th century debates between supporters of virginity on the one hand and Christian marriage on the other.[3]

Lol - how can marital sex be the symptom of original sin when they were booted out for .........................................DISOBEDIENCE?
Marriage was created by God (thru them)!

What does the Catholic Church teach you about what they disobeyed? Not to have sex?

If we go by your rationale, making such an illogical conclusion out of a normal question that simply (diplomatically) prodded the angel
for more details -

I'd say......

MARY was an alcoholic!
Lol -that's the true reason why she got worried when wine was running out at the wedding!

Last edited:

You're defending heresy.

Matthew 1

25 but
knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.

The consummation of their marriage happened AFTER Jesus was born.

Then how could he make a comparison? Why is he saying to his listeners, you are my brothers, and why are those other brothers with his mother? Just randomly the listeners assume the people with his mother are his brothers more than others? — and who were the brothers?

Jesus simply used that occasion (of His mother and brothers wanting to speak to Him), as a teaching moment.

The fact that only his brothers came with his mother, does not mean He had no sisters.

Did Jesus have brothers and sisters (siblings)?

Jesus’ brothers are mentioned in several Bible verses. Matthew 12:46, Luke 8:19, and Mark 3:31 say that Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see Him. The Bible tells us that Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55).

The Bible also tells us that Jesus had sisters, but they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:56). In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival while Jesus stays behind. In Acts 1:14, His brothers and mother are described as praying with the disciples. Galatians 1:19 mentions that James was Jesus’ brother. The most natural conclusion of these passages is to interpret that Jesus had actual blood half-siblings.

You mean....it's what the Catholic church, as in the Vatican, wants you to believe.

NOWHERE IN THE EARLY CHURCH - AS IN THE TIME OF JESUS, AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER THAT IS IT EVER INDICATED IN ANY WAY THAT MARY DIED A VIRGIN!

That's the kind of FAMILY institution being promoted by God when He created
the institution of marriage?

A DYSFUNCTIONAL family?

I bet, you'd be saying Mary was the one wearing the pants in that household!

Lol - why doesn't the Catholic Church bless same-sex marriage, and all things considered fornication in the Bible,
after all they're promoting that kind of Satanic corruption of the Scriptures?

Something so extra-ordinary (meaning Jesus grew up with a dysfunctional family with whatever was buzzing in Mary's bonnet for refusing her marital obligations to her husband, and thereby actually pushed him to commit adultery - and raising up his bastards to boot) -

that's what you want as the background of Jesus! And Jesus condoned it too - He never rebuked their lifestyle!

And, on top of that.....Jesus went around preaching hypocrisy!

Is that your god?

Such a cockamamie thought!
Lol imagine saying that the Church blesses same sex marriage on THE DAY that this comes out.

You're defending heresy.

Matthew 1

25 but
knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.

The consummation of their marriage happened AFTER Jesus was born.
Nope.
"
Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching."

1 Timothy 4:13. So Timothy was supposed to stop after Paul came?

Some of the 'pagan' religions in the Middle East celebrated the ritual coupling of a virgin priestess with a young man of her choosing at the Spring Equinox to represent the copulating of the god and goddess, bringing fertility to Earth and the crops. I sometimes wonder if the story of the virgin birth somehow stems from there.
No doubt...Christendom has adopted many pagan rituals/beliefs...

Lol imagine saying that the Church blesses same sex marriage on THE DAY that this comes out.

Then why did you start the OP? What question were you asking?

And again, please post a quote of WHY they explain why that "perpetual virginity" has meaning?

Well?

It's hypocritical not to -

considering what the Vatican seems to approve and "bless" by their heretical insistence that Mary had some psychological issues, or
was so self-absorbed that she deprived her husband of sex, and pushing Joseph to commit adultery and ending up getting bastards elsewhere!

They turned Joseph into quite a prolific sex-starved fellow. How many siblings did Jesus have?

In light of that - same-sex marriage is nothing compared to what the Vatican approves of! From idolatry, to all sorts of kinky!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom