• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:843] How religious thinking works

You were a Christian? Uh huh. Tell me about your "born again" experience and the revelations you received from the Holy Spirit?

Over 20 years. Lots of surging dopamine.

OM

For some strange reason, this scripture just came to me...

"Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;" Colossians 2:8

"Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;" Colossians 2:8

I was thinking about a wicked generation asking for a sign. ;)

And if you read the entire chapter, it refers to those Colossians who were falling under the influence of Gnosticism and the acceptance of mystical doctrines concerning vast heavenly hierarchies of angels and other intermediaries between God and Man. Paul was concerned that they would consider Jesus as just another relatively unimportant intermediary. And despite Paul’s warnings, such mystical thoughts about hierarchies of angels and intermediaries invaded Christianity nonetheless. What Paul wasn’t talking about in that chapter were non-believers.

OM

And if you read the entire chapter, it refers to those Colossians who were falling under the influence of Gnosticism and the acceptance of mystical doctrines concerning vast heavenly hierarchies of angels and other intermediaries between God and Man. Paul was concerned that they would consider Jesus as just another relatively unimportant intermediary. And despite Paul’s warnings, such mystical thoughts about hierarchies of angels and intermediaries invaded Christianity nonetheless. What Paul wasn’t talking about in that chapter were non-believers.

OM

What Paul was doing was warning the Christians within the congregation not to fall prey to unbelievers...kinda like some ex-Christians today...

What Paul was doing was warning the Christians within the congregation not to fall prey to unbelievers...NOkinda like some ex-Christians today...

NO, that is NOT what Paul was talking about. That is a pure lie. That's the difference between reading a single passage, and inferring whatever you want into it, and reading an entire chapter, and identifying the actual topic at hand. Paul SPECIFICALLY identified who he was talking about, and they were fellow Christians holding onto mystical beliefs that he did not share. NOWHERE does it mention anything about non-believers in that chapter. I challenge you to read the entire chapter, and not just that cherry-picked verse. Heck, I challenge everyone here to read the whole chapter for themselves to determine which of the two of us is telling the truth.

OM

NO, that is NOT what Paul was talking about. That is a pure lie. That's the difference between reading a single passage, and inferring whatever you want into it, and reading an entire chapter, and identifying what they are discussing. Paul SPECIFICALLY identified who he was talking about, and they were fellow Christians holding onto mystical beliefs that he did not share. NOWHERE does it mention anything about non-believers in that chapter. I challenge you to read the entire chapter, and not just that cherry-picked verse. Heck, I challenge everyone here to read the whole chapter for themselves to determine which of the two of us is telling the truth.

OM

That is the difference between a Christian and an unbeliever...the unbeliever looks at scriptural texts as merely secular history...Christians look at scriptural texts as they are meant to be, written to and for ALL Christians to take to heart, live by, and apply to themselves...something an unbeliever will never comprehend, with no amount explaining...

"Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us" 1 Corinthians 10:10

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,

That is the difference between a Christian and an unbeliever...the unbeliever looks at scriptural texts as merely secular history...Christians look at scriptural texts as they are meant to be, written to and for ALL Christians to take to heart, live by, and apply to themselves...something an unbeliever will never comprehend, with no amount explaining...

"Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us" 1 Corinthians 10:10

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,

I didn't say anything about secular history. I did however emphasize that the ENTIRE CHAPTER is discussing Christians who embraced mysticism, and NOT non-believers. Go ahead, READ THE ENTIRE CHAPTER THIS TIME; not just that cherry-picked verse. Each verse is a like a puzzle piece which clarifies the picture of the entire puzzle that is the whole chapter. You can't do that by looking at a single verse, which of course has nothing to do with secularism.

OM

I didn't say anything about secular history. I did however emphasize that the ENTIRE CHAPTER is discussing Christians who embraced mysticism, and NOT non-believers. Go ahead, READ THE ENTIRE CHAPTER THIS TIME; not just that cherry-picked verse. Each verse is a like a puzzle piece which clarifies the picture of the entire puzzle that is the whole chapter. You can't do that by looking at a single verse, which of course has nothing to do with secularism.

OM

You don't get it and that's ok...I don't expect you to...

You don't get it and that's ok...I don't expect you to...

That is a red herring; a diversion tactic utilized to avoid having to read the entire chapter to find out for yourself that I am right.

OM

That is a red herring; a diversion tactic utilized to avoid having to read the entire chapter to find out for yourself that I am right.

OM

She has never read the entire chapter.

She has never read the entire chapter.

If she had she would have known that Paul was instructing fledgling Christians of Phrygia to avoid becoming like Gnostic Christians who believed in the mystical existence of angels; which is kind of ironic, because "angels" became widely accepted within the Christian ideology in general. So in other words, Christians who believe in angels, will still to this day confirm their biases by way of quoting Paul - who didn't believe in angels.

OM

Unbelievers have no idea the significance of this scripture, either...they remain in the dark...

"For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

Unbelievers have no idea the significance of this scripture, either...they remain in the dark...

"For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

And, that is why the JW's are forever spiritually darkened.

And yet another red herring to divert away. Kind of ironic too, seeing as it took a non-believer to point out the true overall significance of that verse you quoted out of context.

OM

And yet another red herring to divert away. Kind of ironic too, seeing as it took a non-believer to point out the true overall significance of that verse you quoted out of context.

OM

lol...thank you for proving my point...

lol...thank you for proving my point...

So in other words you didn't read the whole chapter, thus can never demonstrate any sort of aptitude towards intellectual honesty, and will instead demonstrate a continued predilection towards deliberate obtuseness, which then will more than likely culminate with some "lol" responses demonstrating an inability to further rebut.

ETA: Isn't there some sort of foundational principle within the Christian ideology (and by extension, its off-shoots) which commands a sense of honesty?

OM

It's not silly at all. The Holy Spirit / God reveals the reality of Jesus Christ. And that's a fact. From Matthew 16:

13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

That is completely irrelevant, as I was referring to your asinine claim of knowing what I know. Quoting scripture is utterly meaningless.

Last edited:
I have read the entire chapter. Have you?

Is this some sort of competition for you? What do you think? Do you think I've read the entire chapter? Please tell me. This thread is about telling people of faith how they think, so telling me what I've read should be really easy.

Is this some sort of competition for you? What do you think? Do you think I've read the entire chapter? Please tell me. This thread is about telling people of faith how they think, so telling me what I've read should be really easy.

I have no idea if you have read it or not, the point is that Elvira has never read it.

That is completely irrelevant, as I was referring to your asinine claim of knowing what I know. Quoting scripture is utterly meaningless.

Tsk tsk. You also seem completely unaware of any supernatural born-again experience that you can share. If you had one you'd KNOW it was real, and you wouldn't go kicking a can down the pike.

Tsk tsk. You also seem completely unaware of any supernatural born-again experience that you can share. If you had one you'd KNOW it was real, and you wouldn't go kicking a can down the pike.

You can't share any of your either. There are two basic reasons for that. "Experiences' can not be shared. Plus, what you think is supernatural born-again experience is surging dopamine.

Back
Top Bottom