• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:843] How religious thinking works

Here's something to help you get up to speed on that:

The Lukan Census: Part two

THat's exactly what I mean. .. they take vague references, ignore contrary evidence, and then make things up. They lie through their teeth to take to make something seem possible when it isn't. Excellent example of that dishonesty

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes

You neglected to include the all important caveat, that the author is referring symbolically to HANDS (similar to the hemispheres of the brain; logic vs. emotion), not political leanings.

OM

You neglected to include the all important caveat, that the author is referring symbolically to HANDS (similar to the hemispheres of the brain; logic vs. emotion), not political leanings.

OM

The concept of 'left' and 'right' being political leanings did not happen until the French Revolution in 1789. This is more along the lines of 'separating the sheep from the goats'.. or dividing the good from the bad.

The concept of 'left' and 'right' being political leanings did not happen until the French Revolution in 1789. This is more along the lines of 'separating the sheep from the goats'.. or dividing the good from the bad.

Yes, I think it was because after the French Revolution, the left-leaning folks sat on the left side of the parliament, and the right-leaning folks sat on the right.

Or, quite ironically, imploring others to "believe" by using logic vs. emotion.

OM

Well, that's just silly. Every one seems to think they know what I know lately, when in reality, they don't have a clue.

Precisely, seeing as I myself used to be a Christian, and now am not. "Knowing" is just a dressed-up word for believing in. Sure, if you believe in the Christ narrative, guess what?... you're more than likely going to be a Christian. But it isn't about "knowing" at all. That's why they call it faith.

OM

If you really knew about Christ you'd be a Christian.

The Bible points out that is not true, Jesus understood that...some are just not cut out for "the way" of life...

"Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet." Matthew 10:14

"But when some stubbornly refused to believe, speaking injuriously about The Way before the crowd, he withdrew from them and separated the disciples from them, giving talks daily in the school auditorium of Tyrannus." Acts 19:9

The Bible points out that is not true, Jesus understood that...some are just not cut out for "the way" of life...

"Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet." Matthew 10:14

"But when some stubbornly refused to believe, speaking injuriously about The Way before the crowd, he withdrew from them and separated the disciples from them, giving talks daily in the school auditorium of Tyrannus." Acts 19:9

I like the assumption of 'stubbornly refusing to believe' when there is no good reason to believe in any of it. That's funny.

I like the assumption of 'stubbornly refusing to believe' when there is no good reason to believe in any of it. That's funny.

So says the stubborn one...:2razz:

So says the stubborn one...:2razz:

Another who presumes much. *SIGH* It seems to be endemic on this site.

If reason dictates that there is no reason to believe in the supernatural, how is it stubborn of one to listen to reason? SMH

Oh, and note the following:

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the respondent.

Last edited:
Another who presumes much. *SIGH* It seems to be endemic on this site.

If reason dictates that there is no reason to believe in the supernatural, how is it stubborn of one to listen to reason? SMH

Oh, and note the following:

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the respondent.

I can look out my living room window and see plenty of reasons to believe...SMH

Good for you! For other beings, observing the natural world does not prove the existence of the supernatural. I know, Logic is a bitch.

Last edited:

And, that is the logical fallacy known as 'begging the question', and 'argument from personal belief'.

Well, that's just silly. Every one seems to think they know what I know lately, when in reality, they don't have a clue.

I say the same. You (universal you) don't know me or how I think or why.

Since this thread's creation, every time I've read the thread-head I've wanted to post how preposterous and presumptuous I think it is for someone who is not religious to try to tell me how I think. Now I finally have.

And, that is the logical fallacy known as 'begging the question', and 'argument from personal belief'.

Is that not what we're discussing...personal belief...I certainly cannot speak for another's personal belief, can you? Oh, wait, that's exactly what the OP was attempting to do...:2razz:

Talking about the spiritual, Elvira, not the carnal minded. Keep plugging, though.

It's not silly at all. The Holy Spirit / God reveals the reality of Jesus Christ. And that's a fact. From Matthew 16:

13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Precisely, seeing as I myself used to be a Christian, and now am not. "Knowing" is just a dressed-up word for believing in. Sure, if you believe in the Christ narrative, guess what?... you're more than likely going to be a Christian. But it isn't about "knowing" at all. That's why they call it faith.
OM

You were a Christian? Uh huh. Tell me about your "born again" experience and the revelations you received from the Holy Spirit?

Talking about the spiritual, Elvira, not the carnal minded. Keep plugging, though.

With some people, that's all they got...:2razz:

Back
Top Bottom