• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:81]'White power' graffiti defaces historic Tennessee civil rights site

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
'White power' graffiti defaces historic Tennessee civil rights site | Reuters

(Reuters) - Racist graffiti was painted in the parking lot of a Tennessee social justice center that hosted giants of the 1960s U.S. civil rights movement, such as Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks, it said on Tuesday.

The Highland Research and Education Center, whose main office burned down last week, was home to innumerable documents, recorded speeches and artifacts from the movement that were lost in the fire, it said on its website.
====================================================
So white supremacism is not on the rise in the U.S. according to Trump. This incident is a clear indication that he is wrong on that count. After all, they are a big part of his base.

Re: 'White power' graffiti defaces historic Tennessee civil rights site

(Reuters) - Racist graffiti was painted in the parking lot of a Tennessee social justice center that hosted giants of the 1960s U.S. civil rights movement, such as Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks, it said on Tuesday.

The Highland Research and Education Center, whose main office burned down last week, was home to innumerable documents, recorded speeches and artifacts from the movement that were lost in the fire, it said on its website.
So white supremacism is not on the rise in the U.S. according to Trump. This incident is a clear indication that he is wrong on that count. After all, they are a big part of his base.
This incident is a clear indication that there is at least one moron within the proximity of the Highland Research and Education Center in Tennessee.

This incident is a clear indication that there is at least one moron within the proximity of the Highland Research and Education Center in Tennessee.

It's Tennessee, so your count may be a bit low...

Kidding!

I love that long, skinny hunk of real estate!

But this is truly disturbing and sad.

And this one guy just woke up this morning & came up with this plan all by himself, in a vacuum? I don't think so. Based on recent history, that strains credibility.

In your zeal to believe that "white supremacism" is "on the rise in the U.S.," you left out what the graffiti was:

It described the graffiti only as a “white power” symbol painted on the parking lot.

Without a photo of it, who knows what that is? It could simply have been something misinterpreted as a "white power" symbol.

Never mind the large number of hoaxes of this kind of thing. Or the possibility, as Jack Fabulous pointed out, that it was just some random idiot.

A question I've asked many times: why do some people want to glom on to any bad news they can find and trumpet the worst possible interpretations of it when someone they don't like is in the White House?

And this one guy just woke up this morning & came up with this plan all by himself, in a vacuum? I don't think so. Based on recent history, that strains credibility.

Base on recent history, including all the hoaxes, that's a perfectly plausible scenario.

What "plan" and organization does it take to paint a "symbol" in an empty parking lot somewhere?

A loner radicalized by social media is my guess.

The fire is what I'm most troubled by; was that arson?

I wonder which DP member it was. There's a few I see that live in that neck of the woods.

I wonder which DP member it was. There's a few I see that live in that neck of the woods.

^^^ NOT cool. ^^^

In your zeal to believe that "white supremacism" is "on the rise in the U.S.," you left out what the graffiti was:

Without a photo of it, who knows what that is? It could simply have been something misinterpreted as a "white power" symbol.

Never mind the large number of hoaxes of this kind of thing. Or the possibility, as Jack Fabulous pointed out, that it was just some random idiot.

A question I've asked many times: why do some people want to glom on to any bad news they can find and trumpet the worst possible interpretations of it when someone they don't like is in the White House?

TDS. Losing. Fear of losing in 2020.

What "plan" was really necessary?

I'll wait for the follow-up, since a lot of these things end up being fake.

Now that I think about it, I don't really know what a white power symbol looks like. I do know the Nazi symbol, but if that's what it was, then they probably would've just said it. I wonder what was on it.

'White power' graffiti found after fire destroys historic Tennessee social justice center | TheHill

'White power' graffiti found after fire destroys historic Tennessee social justice center

Graffiti allegedly linked to the white power movement was found at the scene of a fire that destroyed part of the Highlander Education and Research Center in New Market, Tenn., the nonprofit said Tuesday.

The main offices of the social justice nonprofit, which has hosted civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks, were burned down in a “devastating fire” on Friday. No one was injured, but much of the center’s archives were destroyed.
==========================================
This report only states that a symbol connected to the white power movement was found in the parking lot, with no details. A swastika?

I'll wait for the follow-up, since a lot of these things end up being fake.

Trying to burn down a civil rights building in TN plus leaving a white power symbol hardly seems fake.

'White power' graffiti found after fire destroys historic Tennessee social justice center | TheHill

'White power' graffiti found after fire destroys historic Tennessee social justice center

Graffiti allegedly linked to the white power movement was found at the scene of a fire that destroyed part of the Highlander Education and Research Center in New Market, Tenn., the nonprofit said Tuesday.

The main offices of the social justice nonprofit, which has hosted civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks, were burned down in a “devastating fire” on Friday. No one was injured, but much of the center’s archives were destroyed.
==========================================
This report only states that a symbol connected to the white power movement was found in the parking lot, with no details. A swastika?

That's all the story at the first link you posted said, too. If it was a swastika, why wouldn't they just say so? And why no photos?

Not that being a swastika would mean much of anything, given how cheap and easy it is, and how many hoaxes there have been.

Now that I think about it, I don't really know what a white power symbol looks like. I do know the Nazi symbol, but if that's what it was, then they probably would've just said it. I wonder what was on it.

I don't see why they wouldn't have supplied a photo.

Trying to burn down a civil rights building in TN plus leaving a white power symbol hardly seems fake.

Fake as in hoax. Plenty of these so-called 'hate crimes' with grafitti and all that, turn out to be hoaxes. So yeah, I'll wait for follow up.

Base on recent history, including all the hoaxes, that's a perfectly plausible scenario.

What "plan" and organization does it take to paint a "symbol" in an empty parking lot somewhere?

I'd like to know what that symbol was and why there aren't any photos of it.

what an idiotic statement

I was in bed at the time. My cat can testify.:mrgreen:

I was in bed at the time. My cat can testify.:mrgreen:

"So he was in bed at exactly 12:50 PM?"

"Meow."

"No further questions."

Back
Top Bottom