• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:794]Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote

This has been a topic for nearly a year...specifically Bloomberg paying off the fines of the ex-felons. I wondered if that would be logistically or even legally possible and, well, I guess I have my answer.

Now Republicans have to figure out how to disenfranchise those 32,000 voters.
Or they could pay a bunch of felons to vote for Trump.

Or they could pay a bunch of felons to vote for Trump.

Well that's the best part: you can pay off the fines yourself and see how they vote!

If someone committed a crime by doing something unethical (but not specifically illegal), then more than half of the US population (and more than 75% of the US politicians [and more than 99% of the current Presidents of the United States of America]) would have committed that crime.
So you are arguing it isn't illegal, so its okay? Why do you hate Trump again? Your conclusion is ironic.

So you are arguing it isn't illegal, so its okay?

No, I'm saying that if it isn't illegal, then it isn't a criminal act.

Why do you hate Trump again?

Never having met Mr. Trump personally, I do not "hate" him. Having seen the results of his actions, I have absolutely no respect for him as a person.

Your conclusion is ironic.

Did you know that "ironic" and "factual" do NOT mean the same thing?

Well that's the best part: you can pay off the fines yourself and see how they vote!
I don't really care that much. I have lived my life for the most part. I feel sorry for the younger people who will inherit this mess.

And you know that the court fees are the only thing left in all the cases? I mean you are asserting it, can you back the claim up?
Thats all this group is paying. They are not paying restitution only fees and fines, same as what you can get for more minor offenses.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It is if he pays only the fines for people of color.
No it isnt. No one is required to or even being asked to vote in exchange for their fines to be paid. There is no offer because they simply paid the fines for those people.

Anyone thinking this was a good idea is an idiot. Let the posts previously define the idiots.

Bloomberg is looking like he is in a lot of trouble.
Why? If some poor sap is spending time in jail for a minor drug possession offence, what's the problem with letting him/her out?

Kamala Harris likes rapists and violent criminals too. Pays to put them back on the street fund raising for them. Says that the police who arrested them should be eliminated. That seems inconsistent with her past practice of deliberately sending innocent black men to prison to brag about doing so politically.

flat out lies from you as usual. Your posts are a joke but then we don’t expect him each from trump supporters.

If the crime committed was non-violent, why not? You do understand that Bloomberg is paying people's fines for minor offences, not bailing violent offenders out?

The FL law applies only to convicted felons - not folks realized on bail pending trial. Which felonies do you consider to be minor?

Agree fully. When one completes a sentence they should have full rights restored. If they are too dangerous to have their rights restored than they are too dangerous to let out of prison.

I agree, but current federal law does not support that idea. Unfortunately, the prison sentence of “until deemed no longer dangerous” is not used.

The FL law applies only to convicted felons - not folks realized on bail pending trial. Which felonies do you consider to be minor?
Those that you get fined for-like unpaid traffic tickets. Those are not felonies but misdemeanours. Do you honestly think rapists and murderers get fined, because that's the gist of the arguments presented by some of our more hysterical contributors here. Bloomberg is paying fines for poor saps jailed for having a joint, not bailing out violent criminals.

Possession of 25 grams of marijuana is one. Possession of any other drugs.

And honestly, some others can be considered "minor" in some circumstances.

Those that you get fined for-like unpaid traffic fines. Those are not felonies but misdemeanours. Do you honestly think rapists and murderers get fined?

Yes, those “fines” are often court mandated victim restitution and/or paying accrued (missed) child support payments.

Possession of 25 grams of marijuana is one. Possession of any other drugs.

And honestly, some others can be considered "minor" in some circumstances.

I agree that contraband possession should not be a felony, but that (what should or should not be a felony) is a different issue.

I agree that contraband possession should not be a felony, but that (what should or should not be a felony) is a different issue.
But they are still subject to the same laws/rules that keep other felons from voting and their legal fees and fines may very well be about the same because they arent from the crime itself, but rather administrative costs of trying them.

Yes, those “fines” are often court mandated victim restitution and/or paying accrued (missed) child support payments.
No. Victim restitution is separate and the reports have said the group does not pay restitution owed.

No. Victim restitution is separate and the reports have said the group does not pay restitution owed.

That makes little sense, but “the group” might prefer to pay only smaller (lower amount) fines - thus getting more potential votes for the same money spent. After all, why pay larger restitution amounts to actual crime victims when paying only smaller amounts to the state would yield more (new) voters. ;)

Back
Top Bottom