• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:794]Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote

That makes little sense, but “the group” might prefer to pay only smaller (lower amount) fines - thus getting more potential votes for the same money spent. After all, why pay larger restitution amounts to actual crime victims when paying only smaller amounts to the state would yield more (new) voters. ;)
No. They said expecting people to pay costs that have nothing to do with the actual crimes should not limit a persons right to vote. Setting a limit allows more people to be helped.

Restitution actually is related to the crime committed, giving back to the victim, if there is one.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Meh.....

Screw a felon.

If it were up to me, not only would they lose their right to vote, forever, they would have a big "F" tattooed on their forehead.

Meh.....

Screw a felon.

If it were up to me, not only would they lose their right to vote, forever, they would have a big "F" tattooed on their forehead.
For getting a parking ticket and getting jailed for forgetting to pay; because that's essentially what these 'felonies' amount to? Bloomberg isn't bailing out rapists and murderers ffs. Get your sense of perspective sorted.

Parking tickets are felonies in Florida?

Dang, I didn't know that.

I stand corrected then.

If you have paid your debt to society you are no longer a criminal. You are effectively 'reset'.

You like criminals. We get it already.

Must you always strive to reduce things to the dumbest ****ing lie possible?

I'm trying to imagine what kind of person is sitting there at a computer - in Oceania, you claim - and your idea of a fun time is "I know. This guy said someone who served their sentence paid their debt to society. Imma win the internets by accusing him of liking criminals! Herrr....derrrr.....erp...derp.... I GOT HIM!"

Just...how? How do you conclude that that looks like a witty *gotcha*, a clever move?

He's having a debate. This is a debate site after all. He's making a point about when punishment for a crime should. And all you've done is the verbal equivalent of running up, dropping trou, and ripping ass: "look mommy, I made a boom boom with my bum bum!"

That's it. That's all you did. The question is why you think that's a worthwhile thing to do on a debate board?

Last edited:
If you have paid your debt to society you are no longer a criminal. You are effectively 'reset'.

Technically speaking, as long as you are not actively involved in the actual commission of a crime you are not a "criminal". (Unless, of course, that is your actual occupation.)

Once found guilty you are always a "convict" (until such time as you are pardoned or have managed to have the conviction overturned).

Both people who have been incarcerated after being found guilty and those who have not been incarcerated but have been found guilty, are "convicts". You are confusing "incarcerated" with "convicted" and that muddles your thinking.

Is that "picky semantics"? Yes it is. Does it aid correct thinking? Yes it does.

Can you be found guilty of a felony and NOT end up incarcerated? Yes you can.

Is someone who has been found guilty of a felony and who was incarcerated a "convict"? Yes they are.

Is someone who has been found guilty of a felony and who was not incarcerated a "convict"? Yes they are.

Is someone who has been found guilty of a misdemeanor and who was incarcerated a "convict"? Yes they are.

Is someone who has been found guilty of a misdemeanor and who was not incarcerated a "convict"? Yes they are.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying that if it isn't illegal, then it isn't a criminal act.

Never having met Mr. Trump personally, I do not "hate" him. Having seen the results of his actions, I have absolutely no respect for him as a person.

Did you know that "ironic" and "factual" do NOT mean the same thing?
You deliberately missed the point, your hate of Trump is based in things you see as unethical but when it comes to your own fellow travelers you cant find the blame in doing something unethical.

That's political convenience, not principles.

Your position is that it is ALWAYS OK to remove a person's right to vote unless they have paid every dime in fines and/or court fees.

If, at some point, it becomes NOT OK to remove a person's right to vote due to the onerous nature of the fines and/or court fees, then your point is not valid.

How about if the court sentenced the person to write "I will never drive drunk again." 1,000,000,000,000,000 times (by hand, using a 2H pencil, on toilet paper) - and would only count the times where the writing was completely legible and the paper was not torn? That wouldn't cost the person a dime (well, other than the cost of the pencils and toilet paper) so it couldn't possibly be considered a "poll tax" - could it?
IMO the right to vote should never be removed. A person can choose to not vote, but they always should have that right.

Even in prison.

In Florida the convicted felon has to serve his sentence and pay all outstanding monetary fines which are part of their sentencing prior to being able to vote. They must pay it themselves, just as they have to serve their prison time themselves, no substitutes.

This is smart.

If Biden wins Florida by a slim margin he will owe it to Bloomberg.

This combined with Bloomberg's ad spend should put Biden over the top:

Must you always strive to reduce things to the dumbest ****ing lie possible?

I'm trying to imagine what kind of person is sitting there at a computer - in Oceania, you claim - and your idea of a fun time is "I know. This guy said someone who served their sentence paid their debt to society. Imma win the internets by accusing him of liking criminals! Herrr....derrrr.....erp...derp.... I GOT HIM!"

Just...how? How do you conclude that that looks like a witty *gotcha*, a clever move?

He's having a debate. This is a debate site after all. He's making a point about when punishment for a crime should. And all you've done is the verbal equivalent of running up, dropping trou, and ripping ass: "look mommy, I made a boom boom with my bum bum!"

That's it. That's all you did. The question is why you think that's a worthwhile thing to do on a debate board?
LOL claims I am not debating by making a gotcha move, yet tries (and fails) to do a gotcha move of his own.

Do you know what hypocrisy means? Tu quoque? You're the master of these aforementioned fallacies.

So now the dems are depending on criminals to win the vote for them... how appropriate.

As a LIBERTARIAN, I thought you would be okay with that?(LOL)

LOL claims I am not debating by making a gotcha move, yet tries (and fails) to do a gotcha move of his own.

Do you know what hypocrisy means? Tu quoque? You're the master of these aforementioned fallacies.

Telling moronic lies again, PoS? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

snakestretcher noted that someone who served their sentence should have their rights restored. You, being you, lied about him, claiming he "likes criminals".

A pathetic attempt at a *gotcha*, like all your other posts. :ROFLMAO:

PS: for someone who always squawks "fallacy" at people, you sure don't seem to know much of anything about them. Look up "Argument from fallacy", known as the "fallacy fallacy". It should be named after you . . .

You deliberately missed the point, your hate of Trump is based in things you see as unethical but when it comes to your own fellow travelers you cant find the blame in doing something unethical.

Obviously you have either never actually read my posts or you were absent the day that "Reading For Comprehension" was taught in school.

That's political convenience, not principles.

For some reason you appear to believe that I am a devout follower or "Whataboutism".

The only people the Democratic Party loves more than Americans who are violent criminals are violent criminals who are illegally in our country.

They pay more taxes than Trump.

You like criminals. We get it already.

And Trump supporters hate black people. We get it already. That's why they are trying to so hard to help Trump suppress these votes. 1/4th of all ex-felons in Florida are African American. That's why you guys HATE the fact Bloomberg is making it easier for these people, citizens who've paid their dues, vote in the upcoming election.

IMO the right to vote should never be removed. A person can choose to not vote, but they always should have that right.

Even in prison.

I choose to live in a country where that is EXACTLY the case. It's written right into the constitution.

Not only that, but the general populace takes a very dim view of politicians who attempt to manipulate the electoral process by advocating "voter suppression" and/or "gerrymandering" (dim to the point that even the politicians are of the belief that such chicanery is simply "not done" [even if it costs them an election]).

I know that such an "unAmerican attitude" probably comes as a shock to some Americans, but it really is true.

And Trump supporters hate black people. We get it already. That's why they are trying to so hard to help Trump suppress these votes. 1/4th of all ex-felons in Florida are African American. That's why you guys HATE the fact Bloomberg is making it easier for these people, citizens who've paid their dues, vote in the upcoming election.

How many more innocent black men will Biden and Harris send to prison if they win?

Biden HATES - truly HATES - black people. He entered politics campaigning on pure racism and segregation, vowing he'll never let his kids be in a racial jungle with black jungle bunnies - and oft has bragged later how many black people he sent to prison for life because they're all criminals anyway.

While Quid Pro Joe concedes that a poor white kid can be as smart as his rich white kids, he certainly would never concede that black kids can be as smart as his white kids.

Reactions: PoS
With which I agree. But the ethics of very nearly buying the votes of those convicted and still under sentencing is questionable, at best.

Eh. Life is filled with compromise. Trump voters keep telling us they don’t like him but they like his policies.

How many more innocent black men will Biden and Harris send to prison if they win?

Biden HATES - truly HATES - black people. He entered politics campaigning on pure racism and segregation, vowing he'll never let his kids be in a racial jungle with black jungle bunnies - and oft has bragged later how many black people he sent to prison for life because they're all criminals anyway.

While Quid Pro Joe concedes that a poor white kid can be as smart as his rich white kids, he certainly would never concede that black kids can be as smart as his white kids.

So Joe is tough on crime now? No more trojan horse for lefty anarchic rioting? Are you sure this is your position that you want folks to respond to? CAuse I feel like it’s not really. Could be wrong tho.

Back
Top Bottom