• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:794]Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote

buying votes is illegal. we need any anf all documentation and investigate who where how and why the money was paid and what was asked for in return.

he posted why. you not reading bot surprising.
How is this "buying votes"? He is merely enabling people to vote. I don't think that's illegal any more than if a friend paid someone's fine to get him out of jail. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise; and Bloomberg isn't dumb enough to deliberately break the law 32,000 times.

How is this "buying votes"? He is merely enabling people to vote. I don't think that's illegal any more than if a friend paid someone's fine to get him out of jail.
he admitted to buying votes did you not read his own memo? i guess not which is typical.

then there is the issue of campaign law violations. you know the same ones that you were so supportive of when it busted trumps lawyer.

i have a feeling though you will now have a hypocritical stance on that. it is ok your a leftist it is expected.

he admitted to buying votes did you not read his own memo? i guess not which is typical.

then there is the issue of campaign law violations. you know the same ones that you were so supportive of when it busted trumps lawyer.

i have a feeling though you will now have a hypocritical stance on that. it is ok your a leftist it is expected.
No he didnt

Where are the charges? There are none

ALL that I have been arguing is that it is not a poll tax and that it is part of sentencing to restore rights so it has to be done. Your tangent doesn't really address much I have been discussing.

What you're saying is moot. If the Florida state legislature had wanted ex-felons to pay those fines themselves then they should have established that.

Bloomberg knows most of them will vote for Biden, but that's not the same thing as Bloomberg making the payment of the fines contingent on how they vote.

That hasn't been precisely what I was arguing in any event. But, if you reverse what is being said here and consider it a poll tax, wouldn't letting Bloomberg pay it for someone else then make it illegal? Food for thought.

Have you ever seen ads for a sale that say "We pay the sales tax."?

Wouldn't buying something in that sale make you a tax evader (which is, generally speaking, a felony)?

Wouldn't that mean that no one who bought anything in that sale should ever be allowed to vote again?

And you know that the court fees are the only thing left in all the cases? I mean you are asserting it, can you back the claim up?

If the person who was convicted of a felony has served 100% of their prison sentence,

and if they have paid 100% of the ordered restitution,

and if they are then told by the court "We don't know what you have to pay in court fees because no one ever worked it out.",

and if the state government then says "It doesn't matter that no one can tell you how much you have to pay in court fees. What matters is whether or not you have paid them. Obviously you can't pay them if no one knows what they are. We aren't going to bother to waste our time and resources figuring out how much you have to pay. That means that you have not paid your court fees so you can't vote."

then you would consider that to be a perfectly proper situation - right?

#4 sounds illegal

A person is 100% legally entitled to give gifts to any group they feel like giving gifts to. That means that they are also 100% legally entitled NOT to give gifts to any group that the DON'T feel like giving gifts to.

Bloomberg knows most of them will vote for Biden, but that's not the same thing as Bloomberg making the payment of the fines contingent on how they vote.
i will go by what bloomberg said and his memo not you thanks for playing.

time to open a couple of investigations. you guys support those so you shouldn't have an issue.

Page 28 and not one trump supporter can cite the exact text of any law explaining how Bloomberg committed a crime.

They just feel what he did was illegal and that's good enough for them.

i will go by what bloomberg said and his memo not you thanks for playing.

time to open a couple of investigations. you guys support those so you shouldn't have an issue.

Bloomberg is a multibillionaire (a real one.) **** investigations. He’s gonna shit all over them because he has money and can’t be touched.

All that counts is that he got it done. ;)

If the person who was convicted of a felony has served 100% of their prison sentence,

and if they have paid 100% of the ordered restitution,​
and if they are then told by the court "We don't know what you have to pay in court fees because no one ever worked it out.",​
and if the state government then says "It doesn't matter that no one can tell you how much you have to pay in court fees. What matters is whether or not you have paid them. Obviously you can't pay them if no one knows what they are. We aren't going to bother to waste our time and resources figuring out how much you have to pay. That means that you have not paid your court fees so you can't vote."​

then you would consider that to be a perfectly proper situation - right?

You keep throwing an impossible into every hypothetical. Maybe you should stop with hypotheticals if you cant construct one that is a reasonable argument. So far you have been failing at it, over and over.

Have you ever seen ads for a sale that say "We pay the sales tax."?

Wouldn't buying something in that sale make you a tax evader (which is, generally speaking, a felony)?

Wouldn't that mean that no one who bought anything in that sale should ever be allowed to vote again?

Coherence counts. This is a contrived failure of a terrible argument.

Page 28 and not one trump supporter can cite the exact text of any law explaining how Bloomberg committed a crime.

They just feel what he did was illegal and that's good enough for them.

They just hate that Bloomberg owned the Florida GOP..

What you're saying is moot. If the Florida state legislature had wanted ex-felons to pay those fines themselves then they should have established that.

With which I agree. But the ethics of very nearly buying the votes of those convicted and still under sentencing is questionable, at best.

With which I agree. But the ethics of very nearly buying the votes of those convicted and still under sentencing is questionable, at best.

Did Bloomberg actually pay any fines himself?

Did Bloomberg actually pay any fines himself?
He donated to an organization that makes the payments, knowing what the money was going for. Using a cutout is a poor excuse, I believe you are aware of that.

You keep throwing an impossible into every hypothetical. Maybe you should stop with hypotheticals if you cant construct one that is a reasonable argument. So far you have been failing at it, over and over.

I just keep on applying the reductio ad absurdum test to your postulates.

Your postulates keep failing the test.

You keep ignoring the failure.

It is if he pays only the fines for people of color.

He donated to an organization that makes the payments, knowing what the money was going for. Using a cutout is a poor excuse, I believe you are aware of that.

That's sort of like donating to a PAC that is staffed and directed by people who you know are actively supporting the candidate to which you have already donated the legally permissible maximum - isn't it?

If one is illegal, then the other is too.

I just keep on applying the reductio ad absurdum test to your postulates.

Your postulates keep failing the test.

You keep ignoring the failure.
You keep providing examples that are not plausible, you don't get an actual argument with a fallacy. I am ignoring your failure to make a plausible argument.

That's sort of like donating to a PAC that is staffed and directed by people who you know are actively supporting the candidate to which you have already donated the legally permissible maximum - isn't it?

Its like you don't understand US penal code at all, isn't it?

It is if he pays only the fines for people of color.

Please provide something that sort of looks more or less like it might possibly be considered to resemble an approximation of statutory authority for that point and tell me why you think that it applies. Don't be afraid to use words of more than two syllables.

Nope, since you are not changing anyone’s legal ability to vote.

Back
Top Bottom