• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:73] Biden Seeks Quick Start With Executive Actions and Aggressive Legislation

Biden will be fighting his two left wings.
Either way, that's the direction he will be pulled.
It is certainly fair for Republicans to point this out.
The Democratic base is strongly moderate, despite what you read and see in right-wing media. There are Democratic senators from West Virginia and Montana, for example. And two from Arizona. And now Georgia.
The far left legislators are greatly outnumbered by the moderates. President Biden is a moderate.
Despite the shrill warnings from right-wing propaganda outlets, Democratic policies will reflect their moderate base.

Not necessarily-- Americans support limits on legal immigration and opposition to illegal immigration.
So do the vast majority of Democrats. So does President Biden.
Nobody supports destroying the economy for the sake of the environment.
Nobody is proposing to do so. What destroys economies is refusing to adapt to modern times. For example, President Obama's 2009 stimulus package included billions for loans to early-stage solar energy companies that launched the industry. There are now thirty-five viable utility-scale, privately funded solar companies—up from zero a decade ago. (And please keep the knee-jerk "but Solyndra!!! rebuttal to yourself--it was one failure among so many successes that the loan program made a profit for taxpayers.)

Rather than being dangerous to the economy, Democratic policies generally are more supportive of long-term economic growth than Republican policies, as historic comparisons continue to show, year after year.

Last edited:
What a contrast. At this point in Trump's Presidency he had not looked at a single policy. He was consumed with planning the pageantry of his inauguration and inauguration parties.

Thank God for Good Ole' Joe, the country truly needs him.
And pocketing the inauguration money as well it seems.

That is not what was said. What was said was that " The majority of Americans support Democratic policies at least to some extent. " and " In addition, most Dem policies in general, when not misrepresented by their political opponents, are fairly popular across the citizenry. Here we have a perfect example of the misrepresentation that Chomsky mentions.
My goodness with the personal crap. My comment you quoted had nothing to do with you or any comment you made. My comment was about the legislative filibuster, the potential impact of the removal of it, and how voters may respond to increased one sided policy enactment.

TBH, the reason I'm happiest Biden is prez is because he ousted Trump and republicans. But what I'm even much more happy about... Sanders becoming Budget Committee Chairman.

My comment you quoted had nothing to do with you or any comment you made. My comment was about the legislative filibuster, the potential impact of the removal of it, and how voters may respond to increased one sided policy enactment.

This is the comment I was referencing. It quite clearly refers to the opinions of some with regards to Democratic policies which is what I addressed.

I'd disagree with the opinion of some that the Dem agenda is very popular among voters.

The Democratic base is strongly moderate, despite what you read and see in right-wing media. There are Democratic senators from West Virginia and Montana, for example. And two from Arizona. And now Georgia.
The far left legislators are greatly outnumbered by the moderates. President Biden is a moderate.
Despite the shrill warnings from right-wing propaganda outlets, Democratic policies will reflect their moderate base.

So do the vast majority of Democrats. So does President Biden.

Nobody is proposing to do so. What destroys economies is refusing to adapt to modern times. For example, President Obama's 2009 stimulus package included billions for loans to early-stage solar energy companies that launched the industry. There are now thirty-five viable utility-scale, privately funded solar companies—up from zero a decade ago. (And please keep the knee-jerk "but Solyndra!!! rebuttal to yourself--it was one failure among so many successes that the loan program made a profit for taxpayers.)

Rather than being dangerous to the economy, Democratic policies generally are more supportive of long-term economic growth than Republican policies, as historic comparisons continue to show, year after year.
Moderates aren't driving or proposing policy. The liberal wing is. You can say different all you want, its simply not the case.

I don't agree that the party won't listen to her and the rest of the Progressive wing, certainly that is not what I said. That does not mean that the Progressive wing has control but there certainly deserve to be heard.

I don't agree that is true. The conservative/Republican view as it relates to immigration, the environment, healthcare and education is a minority view.

Until they are asked to pay for Democrat policies then the reply is....uhmmm.....

Moderates aren't driving or proposing policy. The liberal wing is. You can say different all you want, its simply not the case.
Everyone proposes policies. Show me some policies Biden is readying for enactment that are "far left."

Until they are asked to pay for Democrat policies then the reply is....uhmmm.....
How did the GOP propose paying for their massive corporate tax cut? I think is was..."uhmmm..."

Sorry if I don't buy conservatives' new found concern for unity and such. Seeing if how they just tried a terrorist insurrection and all.
I hope you didn't wear yourself out painting with that broad brush

Pretty headline but "doing what" is the key. They list a few things in there but being busy doesn't mean exactly that what you are busy doing is good. I hope he goes all FDR on us.

Hey kiddies... Who's signing up for his 100 Day Mask Challenge? lol

The conservative/Republican view as it relates to immigration, the environment, healthcare and education is a minority view.
The Republicans want legal immigration, a clean environment, health care reform and an education system that works, not what the Democrats have destroyed over the past two generations.

Everyone proposes policies. Show me some policies Biden is readying for enactment that are "far left."

Climate change, 15$ minimum wage, national lockdown, welfare expansion, immigration that is as close to open borders as it can get without calling it that, police reform that is barely to the right of defunding the police.

Have you been paying attention?

How did the GOP propose paying for their massive corporate tax cut? I think is was..."uhmmm..."

Tax cuts are giving people their own money back. Why isn't cutting government spending EVER on the table?

Climate change, 15$ minimum wage, national lockdown, welfare expansion, immigration that is as close to open borders as it can get without calling it that, police reform that is barely to the right of defunding the police.
And yet foreign policy may still be the worst disaster.

Have you been paying attention?
Climate change is far left? Not in the rest of the world. But yeah, Republicans are the anti-science party, aren't they? Small wonder their response to Covid was such a disaster for the nation.
$15 minimum wage, supported by the majority of Americans in almost every poll, is far left?
National lockdown is what's recommended by the CDC. Oh, that's right, science is "far left."
"Welfare expansion." Any dime to anyone in need fits that phrase. What do you mean specifically, and why are you against it? How do you feel about health insurance available to everyone?
Immigration reform even more permissive than what's proposed by Biden had bipartisan support not that long ago. It's the Republicans who have gone far right on immigration, once they found how well it plays with the Trumpy white supremacist base.
Police reform is not in any way "barely to the right of defunding." Hyperbole much?

As usual, the far right nightmares, lavishly illustrated and exhaustively (but rarely honestly) examined by far right media, bare little resemblance to the truth.

And yet foreign policy may still be the worst disaster.
Yeah, Trump really took care of "little rocket man," didn't he? Until he apparently fell in love with him. Meanwhile, NK still has its rockets, doesn't it?
Iran is closer to nuclear weapons since Trump abandoned our treaty with it. Pompeo's policy of "maximum pressure" totally failed except to drive Iran into the arms of China.
Our Kurd allies who were left to die by Trump probably can't think of a worse disaster.
Our relations with Putin were great. Unfortunately that was entirely for Trump's benefit, not America's. Trump also built closer ties to other dictators, like in Hungary and Turkey. Was that in the interests of democracy? Or did Trump just have a thing for dictators?
Our trade deficit with China will set a record this year. Wasn't Trump going to do something about that? China totally played Trump and Trump was too stupid to see it.
When in Mexico going to pay for Trump's idiotic, useless wall? Oh, no worries, Trump just stole the money from our military.
His 'peace plan' with Israel is a complete fraud--the whole point was to solve the Palestinian issue, not just hand everything to Israel.

Climate change is far left? Not in the rest of the world. But yeah, Republicans are the anti-science party, aren't they? Small wonder their response to Covid was such a disaster for the nation.
$15 minimum wage, supported by the majority of Americans in almost every poll, is far left?
National lockdown is what's recommended by the CDC. Oh, that's right, science is "far left."
"Welfare expansion." Any dime to anyone in need fits that phrase. What do you mean specifically, and why are you against it? How do you feel about health insurance available to everyone?
Immigration reform even more permissive than what's proposed by Biden had bipartisan support not that long ago. It's the Republicans who have gone far right on immigration, once they found how well it plays with the Trumpy white supremacist base.
Police reform is not in any way "barely to the right of defunding." Hyperbole much?

As usual, the far right nightmares, lavishly illustrated and exhaustively (but rarely honestly) examined by far right media, bare little resemblance to the truth.
As usual, I held my fire and didn't reveal my sources for you. Now I get to reveal it and you get to eat crow because my source is center left. Maybe you should put more time into thinking out your posts.

Lets open with the minimum wage change. Its not a right wing policy, it may be a popular one but it remains a progressive issue. Also, it should be a state issue unless Biden wants to do a graduated federal minimum wage increase and I very much doubt that.

His police reforms are pulling away qualified immunity, increased diversity (even in diverse departments its never been an agent of change to police departments), and increased federal oversight. Local oversight, away from police influence, by an elected board who answers to the people that police may potentially harm is a better answer imo. I don't see how Biden gets his progressive wing to buy into this agenda without some funding changes. He doesn't support it, but he may not get a choice on the bill that lands on his desk.

Welfare expansion, as you can see from the link is what Vox called it, not me, so you strike out on that one. Quadruple section 8 funding, triple federal funding of low income k-12 schools, double pell grant spending, $100B in an affordable housing trust fund, $10B in transport funding in low income areas. Literally throwing money at every problem.

Changing the ACA formula and lifting the subsidy cap which will have a drastic effect on exchange spending.

2035 carbon free electricity is their target. The cost of the Democrat unity plan led by John Kerry and AO Cortez, do you really need me to spell out how there is no way in hell that will be anything other than far left?

The immigration issue is more complicated and wonky in its implications, read the source, but its a definite stab at reform that will mean more green cards, more immigrants and less stringent paths to citizenship.

Whoa! Are you saying it wasn't Democrats who were fighting for the South in the Civil War? And my post was clear enough without having to guess.
It was the Democrats who did everything they could to overthrow a duly elected President, even before he took office. The left wing media went along with this lie, had an extensive, and expensive, lengthy investigation and still had nothing. They all knew it was a lie and the loud and gullible went along with it.

And now, the same people who have lied and cheated for the past four years plus are saying not to discuss the election results, that's it's 'treason' to say otherwise, that it was honest this time and to just be quiet.

"Pennsylvania Lt. Governor John Fetterman (D) on Friday said President Trump does not have the right to say the election was stolen. According to Fetterman, saying the election was stolen or rigged is not protected under the 1st Amendment.

“This idea that saying that Pennsylvania was ‘rigged’ or that we were ‘trying to steal the election’ — that’s a lie. And you do not have the right, that is not protected speech,” Fetterman said.

Democrat Fetterman said Trump only has the right to talk about his favorite football team, but he does not have the right to say an election was rigged."

Tell me true. Did you really believe in the Russia Hoax? Do you still believe these guys?
I'm saying it was not Democrats that are around today, not the same "Democratic" party of today. And anyone who believes that Southern Democrats that started the Civil War share ideals with the Democratic Party that exists today is unaware of history and definitely never lived in the South.

Yeah, Trump really took care of "little rocket man," didn't he? Until he apparently fell in love with him. Meanwhile, NK still has its rockets, doesn't it?

Yep-- he tried something different
"All we are saying, is give peace a chance."

Iran is closer to nuclear weapons since Trump abandoned our treaty with it. Pompeo's policy of "maximum pressure" totally failed except to drive Iran into the arms of China.

Actually, its closer to nuclear weapons as per the calendar. The deal expires in 2025.

Our Kurd allies who were left to die by Trump probably can't think of a worse disaster.

Yep-- it was a problem, But abamdoning a NATO ally would not be good either.

Our relations with Putin were great. Unfortunately that was entirely for Trump's benefit, not America's. Trump also built closer ties to other dictators, like in Hungary and Turkey. Was that in the interests of democracy? Or did Trump just have a thing for dictators?

Since when were our relations with Russia great under Trump? He wanted them to be, to be sure. Not clear why that is bad or why there is a hope that Biden will make them worse.
Turkey and Hungary are NATO allies. Its not clear why one would think Biden would be interersted in weakening the alliance.

Our trade deficit with China will set a record this year. Wasn't Trump going to do something about that? China totally played Trump and Trump was too stupid to see it.

Trade wars don't work well, yep.

When in Mexico going to pay for Trump's idiotic, useless wall? Oh, no worries, Trump just stole the money from our military.

Its coming from the tarrifs imposed over the past few years.

His 'peace plan' with Israel is a complete fraud--the whole point was to solve the Palestinian issue, not just hand everything to Israel.

The problem is in thinking the problems in the mid-east are due to a lack of a Palesttinian state. Trump has shown that to be untrue.
The problem in the mid-east is Iran. Biden would be a fool to reorient to the failed policies of the past.[/QUOTE]

As usual, I held my fire and didn't reveal my sources for you. Now I get to reveal it and you get to eat crow because my source is center left. Maybe you should put more time into thinking out your posts.
So to you, "progressive" equals "far left." Figures.
OMG!!! Biden's police reforms may entail "some funding changes." That is the same as "defunding?"
Great news on welfare.
Sounds like you're against health coverage for all. Along with all the other Republicans. Could be one of the reasons you guys can't seem to win national elections.
Do you prefer ignoring climate change, or denying its very existence? Those seem to be the two options for Republicans, because there is never any discussion of solutions.
Immigration reform: But, but, but what about "open borders?"

Good article. Thanks. But if I had to survive on crow, I'd be starving.

Remember the Republican approach to these issues? Pretend they aren't there, except for using immigration for the purposes of firing up your racist base.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom