• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:73] Biden Seeks Quick Start With Executive Actions and Aggressive Legislation

The first thing he needs to do, is tell Schumer to nuke the filibuster. Then use lasting legislation, wherever possible. E.O.s can be overturned with the flick of a pen. Legislation takes far more effort to overturn.

The Dems need to be smart. They've only got two years, and Republicans will be obstructing everything. Best to nuke it, and get everything done. Just bang it out, including D.C. statehood. When you're given a gift, make use of it!
This line of thinking from you, which you've expressed several times now in the last week or so, has left me amazed. The Chomsky I thought I met when I joined DP and the real Chomsky - are two different people. Just goes to show how wrong first impressions can be. Whew! My mistake.

Making DC a state: It's good for the nation to not have a sub-class of citizens who are taxed and ruled but have no voting representation in the federal government. Makes the rest of us less hypocritical
.It's in the Constitution
Packing SCOTUS is just a fairness issue, and of course that remains in the eye of the beholder. It will never happen so I don't waste time thinking about it.
How is it related to 'fairness'?
Open borders is silly. We don't have open borders and no one is suggesting we do. That's just Fox News propaganda.
Or it could be Biden propaganda. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tru...rder-wall-biden-vows-freeze/story?id=74759104

Sorry if I don't buy conservatives' new found concern for unity and such. Seeing if how they just tried a terrorist insurrection and all. As much as you may wet dream over it, there will be no civil war. Just criminals getting arrested for trying insurrection. I guess you all will just have to sit down for a while and let non-terrorists run the country for a bit.

So you are for unlimited hostility towards people that had nothing to do with the capitol. You are for authoritarian subjugation by the government with guns to cow people into your way of thinking. You are for demonizing an entire political party and all its supporters for a very small number of bad actors because it allows you to run roughshod over them.

It could be you are missing the point of a free society.

I wouldn't be so eager to try and get everything you wish for with a divided nation. Keep pushing it that way and we may end up in a civil war.
I think there is a lot of logic in this opinion.

Mycroft, I think a color other than yellow for quotes might be a good idea. That yellow is almost impossible to see/read, at least on my monitor.

Exactly. Most of the Dem policies, when not mis-portrayed by their political rivals, are fairly popular with the citizenry.
Now that's an interesting opinion!

So you are for unlimited hostility towards people that had nothing to do with the capitol.

Nah... That's just you being paranoid as you bring out your typical conservative victim card.

You are for authoritarian subjugation by the government with guns to cow people into your way of thinking. You are for demonizing an entire political party and all its supporters for a very small number of bad actors because it allows you to run roughshod over them.

It could be you are missing the point of a free society.

:ROFLMAO:

giphy.gif

With the United States caught in the midst of multiple crises and an ongoing absence of leadership from the White House, it will be important for Biden to demonstrate that he is taking control of events. Symbolism will be as important as substance. During crises, it is imperative that leaders take control of events rather than wind up prisoners of those events. The former provides the credibility and change in national psychology necessary to overcome crises. The latter produces helplessness and prolongs crises.
Well many Americans are accustomed to policies by Tweet
Watch Foreign Policy /National Security Advisors or as they have been described in Courts by FOX News lawyers, as mere entertainers

Any one with 1/2 half a clue of leadership knows that he must as you stated "leaders take control" and he will. And we will watch, many with a hypocritical eye on a past Presidents use of EO's and the levers of power.
But Dems have been paying attention - question is not that Biden will act in a manner that Trump has, but lessons have been learned

I have no doubt EOs will be rolled out along with Bills that will pass all 3 Houses, as they control them
I expect some of them will have small to medium support from Republicans
And yes Mitch still wields the power to delay

Dems under Biden have a ton of EO's to go

I fully expect Republicans to spout their fury

Now I see the short term benefits of removing the Filibuster and the long term negatives

I live in Canada, where a slim majority can implement massive change, thru new legislation and I am leery of removing the Filibuster

Rumor has it, it ain’t good. Think about this, he got more votes than anyone in history, beating Obama, but today and through the next week he has 25K soldiers needed to protect him. What does that tell those who voted for that S.O.B.
I also think the visual is quite telling!

Nah... That's just you being paranoid as you bring out your typical conservative victim card.

:ROFLMAO:
I'm not calling people terrorists, you are. I'm not calling for people to sit down from representative government, you are. I'm not straw manning civil war as a widespread issue to smear the other side, you are. I'm not trying to play off baiting, bullshit posts, you are.

I'm not calling people terrorists, you are. I'm not calling for people to sit down from representative government, you are. I'm not straw manning civil war as a widespread issue to smear the other side, you are. I'm not trying to play off baiting, bullshit posts, you are.
I didn't call anyone terrorists. I'm just assuring you that non terrorists will be running the country now because all your base are belong to us. And it was you that evoked civil war, not me. I'm not so stupid as to do that. There will be no ****ing war, so you can stop crying now.

I didn't call anyone terrorists. I'm just assuring you that non terrorists will be running the country now. Because all your base are belong to us. You can stop crying now.

What I am doing is replying reasonably to your dishonest horseshit demonization. What I am not doing is crying and calling names. You are projecting your own deficiencies as a poster.

What I am doing is replying reasonably to your dishonest horseshit demonization. What I am not doing is crying and calling names. You are projecting your own deficiencies as a poster.
BWawahaaahahahahahaaaa...

You are so full of it it's insane. Name calling is against the rules. If you think I violated the rules I encourage you to report it. mmmkay?

.It's in the Constitution
Easily solution. Make a small district encompassing most of the fed buildings, and the rest, where people actually live, is the new state. Your own post earlier links to an explanation.
How is it related to 'fairness'?
Seriously? Guess you missed the whole Scalia thing.
Not building Trump's idiotic wall isn't the same as "open borders." I assume you know that, but it won't stop you from using that dishonest argument in the future.

Last edited:
Rumor has it, it ain’t good. Think about this, he got more votes than anyone in history, beating Obama, but today and through the next week he has 25K soldiers needed to protect him. What does that tell those who voted for that S.O.B.
It says nothing about Biden and everything about an easily manipulated minority that are willing to throw the constitution out the window the second they lose an election.

Well many Americans are accustomed to policies by Tweet
Watch Foreign Policy /National Security Advisors or as they have been described in Courts by FOX News lawyers, as mere entertainers

Any one with 1/2 half a clue of leadership knows that he must as you stated "leaders take control" and he will. And we will watch, many with a hypocritical eye on a past Presidents use of EO's and the levers of power.
But Dems have been paying attention - question is not that Biden will act in a manner that Trump has, but lessons have been learned

I have no doubt EOs will be rolled out along with Bills that will pass all 3 Houses, as they control them
I expect some of them will have small to medium support from Republicans
And yes Mitch still wields the power to delay

Dems under Biden have a ton of EO's to go

I fully expect Republicans to spout their fury

Now I see the short term benefits of removing the Filibuster and the long term negatives

I live in Canada, where a slim majority can implement massive change, thru new legislation and I am leery of removing the Filibuster

I believe President-elect Biden won’t be eager to end the legislative filibuster, as he has been reluctant to alter institutional traditions. Moreover, his major focus is on getting off to a fast start to address major U.S. problems and to reverse Trump Administration excesses.

However, recent years have seen the filibuster gradually rolled back. I don’t think the legislative filibuster will be eliminated during his first few months in office, but if the Senate Republicans succeed in essentially freezing Biden’s legislative agenda, Senate Democrats could move to do so. We’ll probably have a clearer picture of where things are headed by the time the Senate recesses during the summer.

And America has become an 'Us versus Them' country with Biden's plea for 'unity' looking ever more ridiculous. Joe may, like Lincoln, preside over another civil war, again begun by the Democrats,
So you believe "Democrats" are going to vote to leave the Union and have to be forced back into it? Because trying to secede from the Union is what began the Civil War, and it was Southerners who did this, Southerners with descendants who still say things like "the South will rise again" or who want to secede. And it isn't Democrats who are for that.

The first thing he needs to do, is tell Schumer to nuke the filibuster. Then use lasting legislation, wherever possible. E.O.s can be overturned with the flick of a pen. Legislation takes far more effort to overturn.

The Dems need to be smart. They've only got two years, and Republicans will be obstructing everything. Best to nuke it, and get everything done. Just bang it out, including D.C. statehood. When you're given a gift, make use of it!

Hmm... if the filibuster is “nuked” then legislation, which is then easier to enact, also becomes much easier to overturn.

Your assumption that they‘ve only got two years would seem to indicate that you feel they intend to govern against the wishes of the majority.

Hmm... if the filibuster is “nuked” then legislation, which is then easier to enact, also becomes much easier to overturn.
That is very much true. Though it still is significantly harder to do & overturn than E.O.'s.

But perhaps most importantly, it will allow a lot more to get done. (for a change)

Your assumption that they‘ve only got two years would seem to indicate that you feel they intend to govern against the wishes of the majority.
Not necessarily. But I am cognizant of the statistical averages saying the midterms always are a loss for the in-power party.

This line of thinking from you, which you've expressed several times now in the last week or so, has left me amazed. The Chomsky I thought I met when I joined DP and the real Chomsky - are two different people. Just goes to show how wrong first impressions can be. Whew! My mistake.
1] I do think your sincere here, so I do appreciate the comments.

2] Despite my nick, the RL Chomsky & I do disagree on some thing's. In retrospect, it wasn't the best idea to take the nick of a well-known polarizing figure, but I did & it is what it is.

But to the body of your post, you're right on my changing my POV as of late. I feel it myself.

In the four years of Trump, I went from being an Indie, to a Never-Trumper Indie, to a card carrying Dem. All done in response to Trump & the current GOP. Despite my long-ago earlier association with the local Dems, which was largely transactional, I voted Republican at the national level more often than not. Once for Reagan (youthful mistake), and twice for H.W. (a man I admired even after his demise). I never liked nor voted for the Clintons - either of them.

But I've watched Donald Trump tearing our democracy & institutions apart, in a constant escalating pattern. And it was made possible by his being aided & abetted by the GOP. By the time of his first impeachment, I saw Trump & his GOP enablers as usurpers of our republic & what it stands for. And, I came to see the Democrats as the saviours of our republic & what it stands for. My feelings have only increased as the time marched on, to now.

But it was the last ten days, particularly JAN 6th - the day of the D.C.. riot - that has pushed me to the edge. I saw an insurrection against the very heart of our democracy - that being our democratic election. And, the insurrection took place in the heart of our democracy - the halls of Congress. I simply cannot accept this.

I no longer see the party differences as policy, but rather as a fight for democracy and the republic. From my perspective, the Republicans are no longer a political party, and are in fact un-American insurrectionists. They are as guilty as Trump, and he is guilty beyond redemption. Consequently, I think the country's highest priority is to rid itself of all things Trumpian, including the Republican Party. And to that end, I voted to install the Dems to do that job.

Thanks if you read this to the end. I hope I've caused no personal offense to yourself through your presidential support or party affiliation. If you go back in my posting history, you will see I was a true Indie for quite a few years, and an early-on Trump hopeful! Yes, it's true - for several months, from maybe MAR to JUN of '16, I was leaning Trump for my vote that November. With that, maybe you can see how grave I believe the situation became, to produce such a change in my attitude.

Now that's an interesting opinion!
Despite the article headline below, take a look a page or two down for the Dem policies that receive majority support from Americans. There's a slew of them. If I didn't make this post so long, I would cut & paste them.

Not so fast. Your side of the aisle perfected shopping for judges and blocking EOs rescinding other EOs.

Its short sighted to resist everything possible just for the sake of doing it, not picking battles has bad consequences at a later point. While I agree there needs to be a check/balance to executive orders, I don't think national stays from the circuit court judicial level is a good way of doing so. But, your guys opened the door to doing so.
You seem to be saying the judges are not adjudicating, but rather acting politically. That's a pretty far out there to prove, don't you think?

Its the same with nuking the filibuster. You have to stupidly short sighted to get rid of that knowing you wont remain in the driver's seat forever.
That's valid. In fact, it's a concern of mine.

But after the events of the past two months, I'm all for Dems doing what they need to do. I see this as no longer about policy, but a fight for the soul of democracy & our republic. I've never felt like this in any other election, and I've seen a lot of elections. Then again, I've never seen anything like what we've experienced with Trump & this reincarnation of the GOP.

For those of us who don't want to jump through the hoops necessary to read a NYT article, can you please quote the useful parts of the article?

(Assuming there ARE any useful parts, of course.)
Or least the parts that someone with elementary level of reading comprehension would be able to understand.

Moderator's Warning:
Is it that every thread now needs this? For the infinity-teenth time, quit with the personal tit-for-tat asshatery and stick to the topic. @poweRob @OpportunityCost I'm looking in your directions. But this goes for EVERYONE. Knock off the personal bullshit and stick to the subject of the thread. No more personal comments, no more B/F/T no matter how light. Good God, just stick to a topic for once. Failure to abide by this warning may result in moderator action and/or thread banning.
All posts made prior to this warning are subject to moderator review and action.

I think you completely overestimate what you're attempting to portray.

First of all, there was no political backlash when McConnel nuked the filibuster in respect to judges. I see little backlash to expand it to legislation.

Of course there was a backlash, one might say that may have contributed to the dems getting out more votes. But truth is, it was Harry Reid under Obama that opened that door first pushing through appointed by the Obama to the Federal DC circuit with a simple majority rule change. So, lets be sure we have the historical time line correct.

In addition, most Dem policies in general, when not misrepresented by their political opponents, are fairly popular across the citizenry.

I will agree that Obamacare became more accepted than the Republicans thought after 8 years, but that was based on a program the dems never intended to keep anyway, the final plan was to go to single payer expected under a HRC presidency. But selling American on Medicare for ALL, will not have full support. Especially when the "ALL" includes illegal aliens who are already headed here looking for that deal as we speak.

Also, Dems are the larger party. I don't see where you expect this opposition to come from. Dems ran on ousting Trump, adding states, and packing the Court. In response, the American people gave them total control of their government. So, in my opinion they need to deliver. The greater danger, is in not delivering. So, they need to hop to it.

Democrats don't have a mandate for all that you are suggesting. May sound or feel good right now to some, but they don't have a mandate. Go too far and you could see 2024 ending up like 1994 with sweeping Republican victories.

Back
Top Bottom