• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:70]Science is Santa

Angel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Science is the New Santa Claus

This thread was immediately inspired by the following post:

Science, 1000 years of which was denied by the christian and muslim churches.

Humankind is still paying the price with codified prohibitions to stem cell research....for one major abomination.

I don't wish to single out Pedestrian; his post was just timely and handy.

I've been reading silly posts like his -- from materialists, scientific naturalists, atheists, scientismatists and intellectual slackers -- for ten years.
It's high time someone called them on this baloney.

Science has cultural importance, to be sure, but it ain't ALL THAT.
After anesthesia and antibiotics and a few other medical scientific developments, nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense.

That bears repeating:
Nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense

Science by and large gives us TOYS.

Techno Toys.

That's why some of us love science so much.

Science is Santa Claus.

So we all had better not pout, we'd better not shout,
we'd better not cry, and we all know why

Whereas...

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us much more than science

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us an understanding of the human condition

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us values

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us a reason to live

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion are of real importance to humanity

Science gives us nothing of value

Science gives us toys

Science is Santa

Please don't quote the entire OP on the first page of the thread
Conserve DP bandwidth
Thank you

Re: Science is Santa

I've been reading silly posts like his -- from materialists, scientific naturalists, atheists, scientismatists and intellectual slackers -- for ten years.

After anesthesia and antibiotics and a few other medical scientific developments, nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense.

That bears repeating:

Techno Toys.

Science is Santa Claus.

Whereas...

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us an understanding of the human condition

Science gives us toys

Science is Santa

Conserve DP bandwidth
Thank you

Thank you for making clear the right wing religionists disdain for science by comparing something that has saved my life, several times over, to a mythical creature who has not done anything for me ever.

And if you want to save bandwidth, try not using such crappy formatting.

Thank you for making clear the right wing religionists disdain for science by comparing something that has saved my life, several times over, to a mythical creature who has not done anything for me ever.

And if you want to save bandwidth, try not using such crappy formatting.
Well, asking reasonably of reasonable men apparently goes for naught.

I'm delighted science saved your life. Dogs save people's lives too.
Saving people's lives takes its meaning from the meaning of life, and as per the OP science does not give us that.
Science may save your life but it can't give meaning to the lives it saves.
That's what the OP is about.
Thank you for your passionate post, although you know what you can do with that "right wing religionists" spiel.
If you don't know who you're talking to, the Thumper Rule is in effect.

Namaste

You see the deliberate vagueness of 'Science has cultural importance, to be sure, but it ain't ALL THAT.'

That bears repeating: Nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense.

Not even a nice try. I don't know just what that means.

This more so requires repeating: Science is all there is and if we didn't have it, we'd be dying in our 30s,

still on horseback...stuck on the ground.

Last edited:

Let us thank Santa for allowing us to post here.

Let us thank Santa for allowing us to post here.
That's precisely the OP point, pilgrim.

124zxfl.jpg

Things that are improtant to me;

Not starving. Being able to help people. Being able to positively contribute to society. Being slightly able to contribute to the advancement of society through paying taxes and generally helping keep the whole thing rolling; unblocking the scientist's toilet is a good thing to do as it allows him, or her, to keep doing the more important stuff, I still need paying for it.

Things that seem to be important to the religious here, particularly Odd Angle;

Being ale to claim victory in some sense in a debate. Setting up the debate so as to be only able to win is generaly the starting point but somehow it does not seem to work...

Being able to claim moral superiority over others. Generally the none-believers but members of different religions if none of those availible. Just keeps going wrong all the time.

Never learning anything.

Having an excuse to lie.

That bears repeating:

Techno Toys.

Science is Santa Claus.

Whereas...

Science gives us toys

Science is Santa

Conserve DP bandwidth
Thank you

hmm my reasons to live is there's stuff i like doing and experiencing

my values are based on what i like and dislike

same with everyone else

your just into some different toys

350355.jpg

054be76dcf6b196f7c2f66676b022b2d93a633-v5.jpg

1454c41506164050.jpg

Not starving. Being able to help people. Being able to positively contribute to society. Being slightly able to contribute to the advancement of society through paying taxes and generally helping keep the whole thing rolling; unblocking the scientist's toilet is a good thing to do as it allows him, or her, to keep doing the more important stuff, I still need paying for it.

Being ale to claim victory in some sense in a debate. Setting up the debate so as to be only able to win is generaly the starting point but somehow it does not seem to work...

Being able to claim moral superiority over others. Generally the none-believers but members of different religions if none of those availible. Just keeps going wrong all the time.

Never learning anything.

Having an excuse to lie.
Your posts, sir, have become increasingly "meta" and mean-spirited, no doubt out of frustration and incomprehension.
Allow me to alleviate some of the latter.
The OP is about exaggerating the importance of science and underestimating the importance of the humanities.
Now I corrected your mistaken notion of the humanities about a month ago; let's see if you learned anything then.

That bears repeating:

Hmmm.....how did you manage to post that?

Hmmm.....how did you manage to post that?
Yeah, zyzygy sang "I'm Gettin Nuttin For Christmas" at #5.
I'll tell you what I told him: That is precisely the OP point.
124zxfl.jpg

Your posts, sir, have become increasingly "meta" and mean-spirited, no doubt out of frustration and incomprehension.
The OP is about exaggerating the importance of science and underestimating the importance of the humanities.
Now I corrected your mistaken notion of the humanities about a month ago; let's see if you learned anything then.

Have you learnt anything about the way science is looking at our ethics, morals, inhibitions and strategies for co-opperation etc?

Here is the test; According to me, as I have explained it to you on several occaisions, which branch(s) of science covers these ideas?

Saving people's lives takes its meaning from the meaning of life, and as per the OP science does not give us that.
Thank you for your passionate post, although you know what you can do with that "right wing religionists" spiel.

Namaste

There can't be a meaning of life for a dead person.

Wow another ironic internet post about how science is a waste.
Religious claptrap by ignorant illogical people who refuse to get educated trying to prove that their backwards morals and ignorance of pretty much everything makes them superior to others

ie another failed thread from the usual suspect

Never learning anything.

Having an excuse to lie.

Angel would have us believe that toilets and the systems they are attached to are just toys, and not an improvement in waste disposal thanks to science. Which in turn has led to healthier environments to live in and decreased the spread of disease.

The humanities should be thanking science. Early humans didn't have the luxury of the humanities because physical survival took up too much of their time. Science has increased our leisure time and allowed for more time to sit around doing nothing but thinking deep thoughts about the meaning of life. Mankind didn't advance by sitting around writing more poems.

What did you ask reasonably for?

Santa does not give a meaning to life either, but unlike science, Santa does not save lives. Therefore, your equating Santa with science is false.

Yes, I know. I can repeat it because it is the truth. Right wing religionists regularly denigrate or dismiss science.

Namaste
I know exactly who I am talking to - someone who discounts science

If that was your point, then you should have said so. I doubt you would encounter much resistance.

Equating science with a fictional character that few adults believe in does not convey the idea you intended. I suspect the teachings of your religion have something to say about choosing ones words with care to avoid harm. Most belief systems do.

If that was your point, then you should have said so. I doubt you would encounter much resistance.

Equating science with a fictional character that few adults believe in does not convey the idea you intended. I suspect the teachings of your religion have something to say about choosing ones words with care to avoid harm. Most belief systems do.

His problem is that his posts are over dramatic.

Oh! The humanities! Science is distracting from them! How can we carry on in a world without make believe meaning!

Wow another ironic internet post about how science is a waste.
Religious claptrap by ignorant illogical people who refuse to get educated trying to prove that their backwards morals and ignorance of pretty much everything makes them superior to others

ie another failed thread from the usual suspect

He wants us back in the Dark Ages, at a time when people rarely grew old past 40 due to having no antibiotics, bad sewage, quack doctors, famine, pestilence, and the corrupt supremacy of the church.

That bears repeating:

I would argue that life has importance, in every sense, including the ultimate.

Back
Top Bottom