• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:70]Science is Santa

Re: Science is Santa

The humanities should be thanking science. Early humans didn't have the luxury of the humanities because physical survival took up too much of their time. Science has increased our leisure time and allowed for more time to sit around doing nothing but thinking deep thoughts about the meaning of life. Mankind didn't advance by sitting around writing more poems.
Mankind doesn't advance.

Because they don't have life. You need life in order for it to have a meaning. What is the meaning of life for the non-existent?

I would argue that life has importance, in every sense, including the ultimate.

Well, life is subjectively important to us because we're fundamentally affected by having it. Objectively though, human life doesn't mean a thing.

Science is the New Santa Claus

This thread was immediately inspired by the following post:

I don't wish to single out Pedestrian; his post was just timely and handy.

I've been reading silly posts like his -- from materialists, scientific naturalists, atheists, scientismatists and intellectual slackers -- for ten years.
It's high time someone called them on this baloney.

Science has cultural importance, to be sure, but it ain't ALL THAT.
After anesthesia and antibiotics and a few other medical scientific developments, nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense.

That bears repeating:
Nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense

Science by and large gives us TOYS.

Techno Toys.

That's why some of us love science so much.

Science is Santa Claus.

So we all had better not pout, we'd better not shout,
we'd better not cry, and we all know why

Whereas...

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us much more than science

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us an understanding of the human condition

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us values

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us a reason to live

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion are of real importance to humanity

Science gives us nothing of value

Science gives us toys

Science is Santa

Please don't quote the entire OP on the first page of the thread
Conserve DP bandwidth
Thank you

Oh gee attacking science just like Christians.. and you claim not to be one....right.

Because they don't have life. You need life in order for it to have a meaning. What is the meaning of life for the non-existent?
The dead have had a life. The meaning of that life is the meaning of that life.

The dead have had a life. The meaning of that life is the meaning of that life.

That life had subjective meaning to the person while they lived. Dead people no longer are capable of having a meaning to life because they lack it.

That life had subjective meaning to the person while they lived. Dead people no longer are capable of having a meaning to life because they lack it.
Take a hike, materialist.

I asked members not to quote the entire OP on the first page.

That was not a reasonable request seeing as it came from someone who posted without regard for "bandwidth"

Do you consider life to be important? My understanding is that most believers do, but I do not want to assume that you agree

That was not a reasonable request seeing as it came from someone who posted without regard for "bandwidth"

Do you consider life to be important? My understanding is that most believers do, but I do not want to assume that you agree
You allow no difference between a thread starter post, an OP, and the posts to follow? And "without regard" is based on ignorance -- I in fact chose not to post an image for that reason.

Is life important, you ask? That's a good question. It doesn't seem to be important, does it? What did Socrates say? "The unexamined life is not worth living."
I would say physical life is unimportant; spiritual life is all-important.
How's 'at?

You allow no difference between a thread starter post, an OP, and the posts to follow? And "without regard" is based on ignorance -- I in fact chose not to post an image for that reason.

Is life important, you ask? That's a good question. It doesn't seem to be important, does it? What did Socrates say? "The unexamined life is not worth living."
How's 'at?

So you agree that life is important.

What about the millions of lives that were created thanks to science? Are they not important? If not, why?

How's 'at?

How can you have spiritual life without physical life? Are you a disembodied mind? Do you know any?

So you agree that life is important.

What about the millions of lives that were created thanks to science? Are they not important? If not, why?
This post of yours comes two minutes after the post it is ostensibly a reply to. Did you consider my post at all or are you only interested in the trap you think you;ve laid?

How can you have spiritual life without physical life? Are you a disembodied mind? Do you know any?
We don't know what we are, except that we are mind.

This post of yours comes two minutes after the post it is ostensibly a reply to. Did you consider my post at all or are you only interested in the trap you think you;ve laid?

I am interested in your answer. Will you give it?

I assumed you were interested in discussing the matter. If I am wrong about that, feel free to let me know.

We don't know what we are, except that we are mind.

But you just said that the physical was not important but the spiritual was all-important. If we don't know what we are, how can you make that statement? And saying that we know we are mind means nothing unless you know what mind is. How can we not know, but know?

I am interested in your answer. Will you answer it?

I assumed you were interested in discussing the matter. If I am wrong about that, feel free to let me know.
I answered your Is Life important question. Will you consider my answer.
"I assumed you were interested in discussing the matter. If I am wrong about that, feel free to let me know."

But you just said that the physical was not important but the spiritual was all-important. If we don't know what we are, how can you make that statement? And saying that we know we are mind means nothing unless you know what mind is. How can we not know, but know?
Sis you read and understand the preposition "except"?

I answered your Is Life important question. Will you consider my answer.
"I assumed you were interested in discussing the matter. If I am wrong about that, feel free to let me know."

I have considered it. For many years. So how about we get back to discussing the issue you have raised? Unless you would rather talk about me. I could live with whatever choice you make

I have considered it. For many years. So how about we get back to discussing the issue you have raised? Unless you would rather talk about me. I could live with whatever choice you make
What is the issue you think I've raised? I'll be glad to discuss it, or correct your misunderstanding of it.

What is the issue you think I've raised? I'll be glad to discuss it, or correct your misunderstanding of it.

From your op
Nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense

Science has given us millions of lives. Your quote implies those lives are not important. Correct me, and explain, if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom