• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:70]Science is Santa

Re: One blind mouse?

I doubt if their behaviour is motivated by philosophy.

However, the same behavior in man is justified by philosophy. We are making up a lot of nonsense to justify our behavior.

"Ratatouille"

I doubt if their behaviour is motivated by philosophy.

Rodents? They'll eat pretty much anything - so if the philosophy in question is printed on paper - or better yet, vellum - you betcha! Them rats'll be (or être, if you prefer) all over it. In two shakes of a rat's tail ...

Re: One blind mouse?

However, the same behavior in man is justified by philosophy. We are making up a lot of nonsense to justify our behavior.

There has been a lot of nonsense in this forum recently.

Re: "Ratatouille"

Rodents? They'll eat pretty much anything - so if the philosophy in question is printed on paper - or better yet, vellum - you betcha! Them rats'll be (or être, if you prefer) all over it. In two shakes of a rat's tail ...

I wonder what is the philosophy behind a rat king?

Re: Show Biz, baby!

Well, that's easy enough. Buy cheap, sell dear. A movie was made of it, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Rat_(Clavell_novel). George Segal played King (this was before he gave up acting for mugging for the camera. Pity really - he showed some talent.)

I remember that movie but I was referring to this.
A rat king is a collection of rats whose tails are intertwined and bound together by one of several possible mechanisms, such as entangling material like hair or sticky substances like sap or gum. The number of rats joined together varies from a few to as many as 32.

Re: "Ratatouille"

Rats are French?

Well, if you're any example the irreligious types are not ones to keep their delusions to themselves either. So it's a wash.

Wrong.

I would keep my antitheist position to myself if it weren't for religious types -insisting- on legislating their faith.

Leave your faith and its manacles in your own home and out of my government and legal system.

Stop trying to force people to live by a moral code explained in a holy book, which is most likely predated by the articles of Confucius.

THEN I will stop confronting theism.

Science is the New Santa Claus

This thread was immediately inspired by the following post:

I don't wish to single out Pedestrian; his post was just timely and handy.

I've been reading silly posts like his -- from materialists, scientific naturalists, atheists, scientismatists and intellectual slackers -- for ten years.
It's high time someone called them on this baloney.

Science has cultural importance, to be sure, but it ain't ALL THAT.
After anesthesia and antibiotics and a few other medical scientific developments, nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense.

That bears repeating:
Nothing science tells us or gives us is of any importance in any ultimate sense

Science by and large gives us TOYS.

Techno Toys.

That's why some of us love science so much.

Science is Santa Claus.

So we all had better not pout, we'd better not shout,
we'd better not cry, and we all know why

Whereas...

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us much more than science

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us an understanding of the human condition

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us values

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion give us a reason to live

Poetry, Art, Music, and Religion are of real importance to humanity

Science gives us nothing of value

Science gives us toys

Science is Santa

Please don't quote the entire OP on the first page of the thread
Conserve DP bandwidth
Thank you

WOW

you went through all that just to end up proving him right and give us all a perfect example of how SOME individuals are biased and completely ignorant of facts and science :lamo

good job!!! can you post some factual and logical support for your claim, if so please do so thanks!
cant wait to read this thread!

I would keep my antitheist position to myself if it weren't for religious types -insisting- on legislating their faith.
Of course they do. Atheists legislate their faith also. There isn't any way to get around that, as everyone has at least some beliefs that are based on faith.

Leave your faith and its manacles in your own home and out of my government and legal system.
Not possible...

Stop trying to force people to live by a moral code explained in a holy book, which is most likely predated by the articles of Confucius.
Once Atheists stop trying to force people to live against the 'holy book' moral code.

THEN I will stop confronting theism.
You're not going to be stopping then...

Of course they do. Atheists legislate their faith also. There isn't any way to get around that, as everyone has at least some beliefs that are based on faith.

Not possible...

Once Atheists stop trying to force people to live against the 'holy book' moral code.

You're not going to be stopping then...

Wrong. I don't have faith. I simply do not want my tax dollars going to religious beliefs and nonsense.

No, I won't stop as long as the religious theocrats continue to try and force their moral code through legislation.

Keep your religion out of it and I'll stop speaking out against it.

Wrong. I don't have faith.
Yes, you do. If you consider yourself an atheist, then you have faith. You have faith whenever you make use of circular reasoning. A circular argument is an argument of faith.

I simply do not want my tax dollars going to religious beliefs and nonsense.
Impossible to stop. Currently, my tax dollars are going towards the religious beliefs of the members of the Church of Global Warming.

No, I won't stop as long as the religious theocrats continue to try and force their moral code through legislation.
Atheism IS a religion. Atheism IS legislating their moral code.

Keep your religion out of it and I'll stop speaking out against it.
I could say the same to you...

Rattus rattus?

I remember that movie but I was referring to this.
A rat king is a collection of rats whose tails are intertwined and bound together by one of several possible mechanisms, such as entangling material like hair or sticky substances like sap or gum. The number of rats joined together varies from a few to as many as 32.

Ah, that's a new one on me. Black rats, I assume, as those were the originals?

Yes, you do. If you consider yourself an atheist, then you have faith. You have faith whenever you make use of circular reasoning. A circular argument is an argument of faith.

Impossible to stop. Currently, my tax dollars are going towards the religious beliefs of the members of the Church of Global Warming.

This is the most absurd batch of deflectionary nonsense I've ever seen posted. That's saying something.

Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of belief in a god. Full stop. I've said before, religious folks do not understand that the world exists outside their shoeboxed microcosm.

Church of Global Warming? What's the dogma? who are the ministers? What's their view on the afterlife?

Stick to arguing politics. I have no time for apologists.

This is the most absurd batch of deflectionary nonsense I've ever seen posted. That's saying something.
Argument of the Stone Fallacy. Ignored due to containing no substantive argumentation.

Atheism is not a religion.
Yes, it is. It makes the initial circular arguments that no god(s)/spirits/etc. exist... It has additional arguments stemming from that one... That makes it a religion.

It is a lack of belief in a god. Full stop.
Yup... and it also involves belief that god(s) don't exist.

I've said before, religious folks do not understand that the world exists outside their shoeboxed microcosm.
Stuff your bigotry; I'm not interested in it...

Church of Global Warming?
Correct.

What's the dogma?
That [insert large percentage here] of scientists agree that global warming is man-made, is an emergency, and that we must "act now" if we wish to save our planet...

who are the ministers?
Al "Do As I Say Not As I Do" Gore, Bill Nye the Non-Science Guy, and other people who parrot the Global Warming garbage...

What's their view on the afterlife?
Irrelevant.

Stick to arguing politics.
You are not a dictator over me. You are not a king. I will argue whatever I feel like arguing.

I have no time for apologists.
I'm not even attempting to defend any particular faith... That's not the topic at hand...

Argument of the Stone Fallacy. Ignored due to containing no substantive argumentation.

Yes, it is. It makes the initial circular arguments that no god(s)/spirits/etc. exist... It has additional arguments stemming from that one... That makes it a religion.

Correct.

That [insert large percentage here] of scientists agree that global warming is man-made, is an emergency, and that we must "act now" if we wish to save our planet...

Al "Do As I Say Not As I Do" Gore, Bill Nye the Non-Science Guy, and other people who parrot the Global Warming garbage...

Irrelevant.

You are not a dictator over me. You are not a king. I will argue whatever I feel like arguing.

I'm not even attempting to defend any particular faith... That's not the topic at hand...

please support your following claims
atheism = religion
atheism = beliefs

with facts that make your statements true, thanks!
:popcorn2:

LOL! By asserting that falsehood you just committed the Radioactive Kangaroo in a Hat fallacy.

By lying about global warming and some mythical church, you just committed the Double Secret Roundabout Inversion fallacy.

By lying about atheism being a religion and having a moral code, you just committed the Hidden Third Paradigm fallacy.

By claim that you could you've just committed the False Ingidnant Helix fallacy.

Last edited:

Correct.

Irrelevant.

Yawn. How many fallacies can one post? Let me count the ways.

Back
Top Bottom