• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 67] Shireen Abu Akleh: Al Jazeera reporter killed by Israeli gunfire

Nomad4Ever

Dark Brandon Acolyte
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Ramallah, Occupied West Bank – Israeli forces have shot dead Al Jazeera’s journalist Shireen Abu Akleh in the occupied West Bank, according to the Palestinian health ministry....
...Al-Samoudi and other journalists at the scene said there were no Palestinian fighters present when the journalists were shot, directly disputing an Israeli statement referencing the possibility that it was Palestinian fire.

“We were going to film the Israeli army operation and suddenly they shot us without asking us to leave or stop filming,” said al-Samoudi. “The first bullet hit me and the second bullet hit Shireen … there was no Palestinian military resistance at all at the scene.”

Shatha Hanaysha, a local journalist who was standing next to Abu Akleh when she was shot, also told Al Jazeera that there had been no confrontations between Palestinian fighters and the Israeli army. She said the group of journalists had been directly targeted.

“We were four journalists, we were all wearing vests, all wearing helmets,” Hanaysha said. “The [Israeli] occupation army did not stop firing even after she collapsed. I couldn’t even extend my arm to pull her because of the shots being fired. The army was adamant on shooting to kill.”

“The killing was deliberate… There will be an autopsy by Palestinian medics, which will be followed by a report including all the details of the killing,” Melhem told Al Jazeera.

“However, all the witnesses present at the scene of the crime ensures that it was an Israeli sniper that committed the crime in a deliberate way.”

The Israeli military has been engaging in poor disciplinary behavior (or worse, possibly following top down orders) for too long. We should be sanctioning Israeli and pressuring them to end their occupation and colonialist behavior. Not backing backing them as they commit war crimes.

Israel ought to arrest and try the commanding officers in charge of ordering the fire, and pay restitution to the family of killed journalist.

She's listed as a Palestinian-American. What are the implications of a US ally deliberately killing an American citizen?

She's listed as a Palestinian-American. What are the implications of a US ally deliberately killing an American citizen?
Nothing. Stuff like this has happened before and will continue to happen unless something changes.

Nothing. Stuff like this has happened before and will continue to happen unless something changes.
One of the reasons I support BDS

Israel is an apartheid state as far as I can tell.

One of the reasons I support BDS

Israel is an apartheid state as far as I can tell.

It is an occupying state. But it is not an apartheid state. Apartheid means treating your own country’s citizens as second-class under the law. The Palestinians who live under occupation are not Israelis and do not consider themselves to be Israelis anymore than Israelis consider themselves Palestinians.

This was cold blooded murder, simple as that.

This was cold blooded murder, simple as that.

It was very likely criminal homicide. But I would need to see more evidence that does not come solely from the openly anti-Israel (and occasionally antisemitic) international media mouthpiece of the Qatari royal family that is Al-Jazeera before drawing the conclusion that it was murder.

Last edited:
If I were Biden, I would stop giving Israel any financial aide until they can prosecute the officers for murder.

It was very likely criminal homicide. But I would need to see more evidence that does not come solely from the openly anti-Israel (and occasionally antisemitic) international media mouthpiece of the Qatari royal family that is Al-Jazeera before drawing the conclusion that it was murder.

It is also likely she wasn't shot by Israeli forces but by the Palestinian terrorists that were shooting at the soldiers, which makes the assumption people make that she was even killed by Israeli soldiers absurdly premature.
She died after being hit by a M16 bullet, which was used by both the soldiers and the terrorists.
Israeli soldiers do not target innocent bystanders, so it wouldn't be murder regardless of the conclusion considering the need for an intent.
Hopefully the truth will be revealed. Palestinian refusal to allow an open investigation makes it less possible.

It is also likely she wasn't shot by Israeli forces but by the Palestinian terrorists that were shooting at the soldiers, which makes the assumption people make that she was even killed by Israeli soldiers absurdly premature.
She died after being hit by a M16 bullet, which was used by both the soldiers and the terrorists.
Israeli soldiers do not target innocent bystanders, so it wouldn't be murder regardless of the conclusion considering the need for an intent.
Hopefully the truth will be revealed. Palestinian refusal to allow an open investigation makes it less possible.

Eye witnesses say otherwise

Eye witnesses say otherwise
Palestinian propagnda isn't anything new.
There are two viable options after the investigations conducted so far, either she was shot by Palestinian terrorists that were spraying bullets at IDF vehicles at the time or she was shot by an IDF soldier's bullet as he was targeting one terrorist she was standing farther behind. Once they study the bullet that the Palestinians refuse to give Israel access to they'll be able to easily tell if it belongs to an IDF weapon or not.

Israel ought to arrest and try the commanding officers in charge of ordering the fire, and pay restitution to the family of killed journalist.
Lolz, so it’s summary “condemn Israel based on the statements of Arabs, who never in the history of ever engage in hostile action” day?

Bullshit.
Why? Can't handle a reality where you can't blame Jews?
It's a well known case that's always given as the best example of what Pallywood is. Films were made about the deception and propaganda behind it.

Several minutes of the film showed Palestinians playing at war for the cameras, they wrote, falling down as if wounded, then getting up and walking away.[73] A France 2 official told them, "You know it's always like that," a comment that Leconte said he found disturbing given the controversy. Christine Delavennat, France 2's communications director, said that none of the scenes in the footage had been staged.[56] Jeambar and Leconte concluded that the shots had come from the Palestinian positions, given the trajectory of the bullets.[73] Leconte said in an interview: "If they had been Israeli bullets, they would be very strange bullets because they would have needed to go around the corner." He dismissed France 2's explanation—that perhaps the bullets that hit the boy had ricocheted off the ground. "It could happen once, but that there should be eight or nine of them, which go around a corner? They're just saying anything."[56]

Back
Top Bottom