• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:658]The Atheist-In-Name-Only

Angel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
nqb7v5.jpg

This thread was inspired by recent post exchanges with Rich2018 and soylentgreen.

Disclaimer
This thread is about a particular brand of atheism, and a particular breed of atheist, and should not be taken as about atheism in general nor in particular about old-school atheism, the atheism of the 20th century or of the 19th century, which deserves the profoundest respect. This thread is about millennial atheism, Dawkins atheism, New Atheism, Know-nothing atheism. We all know the brand and breed.

Theses
1. Today's atheism has lost its way and is without a moral or semantic compass.
2. Today's atheist is an AINO
3. The AINO Creed is an incoherent manifesto

Happy New Year to all DP atheists and theists alike!

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE OP ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE THREAD.
CONSERVE DP BANDWIDTH.
THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Re: The Atheist-In-Name-Only

nqb7v5.jpg

This thread was inspired by recent post exchanges with Rich2018 and soylentgreen.

Disclaimer
This thread is about a particular brand of atheism, and a particular breed of atheist, and should not be taken as about atheism in general nor in particular about old-school atheism, the atheism of the 20th century or of the 19th century, which deserves the profoundest respect. This thread is about millennial atheism, Dawkins atheism, New Atheism, Know-nothing atheism. We all know the brand and breed.

Theses

CONSERVE DP BANDWIDTH.
THANK YOU.

:inandout:

Yawn.

Two posts from two AINOs attesting to Thesis 2.
Fish in a barrel, I swear!

Sez the know nothing theist. Stop sitting on the fence and define what god is and back it up with evidence. Your vague, mushy god is not a god at all but a catch all for all the make believe that the god concept has led to.

anger issues

anger issues
Reading issues or decency issues with you? Here, cover the left eye and try reading the OP request with the right; then the other way around.
CONSERVE DP BANDWIDTH.
THANK YOU.

Sez the know nothing theist. Stop sitting on the fence and define what god is and back it up with evidence. Your vague, mushy god is not a god at all but a catch all for all the make believe that the god concept has led to.
Been there, done that.
Your spiel is old hat.
AINOs ain't all that!

Today's atheism has lost its way and is without a moral or semantic compass.

Nope. It never had any.

You are probably wanting to talk about humanism.

There seems to be a bit of projection going on there.

The doctrinal theists are my only source of evidence for rejecting the idea of god. The evidence is their doctrine and their actions in the name of that doctrine. I have no evidence which would lead me to reject god as a basic concept.

Would AINO be similar to TINO? That is, a person who claims a belief in god but nothing in their life is driven by that belief.

There seems to be a bit of projection going on there.

The doctrinal theists are my only source of evidence for rejecting the idea of god. The evidence is their doctrine and their actions in the name of that doctrine. I have no evidence which would lead me to reject god as a basic concept.
If there's "no evidence would lead me to reject god as a basic concept," then is there any evidence that would lead you to accept god as a basic concept?
If not, then your atheism is pure and well-considered.
Rejecting the doctrines of doctrinal theism is not rejecting evidence of the existence of God; it is rejecting someone else's idea of God.
Rejecting someone else's idea of God does not touch the question of God's existence at all.

If there's "no evidence would lead me to reject god as a basic concept," then is there any evidence that would lead you to accept god as a basic concept?
If not, then your atheism is pure and well-considered.
Rejecting the doctrines of doctrinal theism is not rejecting evidence of the existence of God; it is rejecting someone else's idea of God.
Rejecting someone else's idea of God does not touch the question of God's existence at all.

^ Yes.

I'm weird here, I know.

Atheism is not and has never been a set of beliefs or philosophies. Each individual atheist has his or her own outlook and philosophy including nihilism, humanism, mysticism, communism, objectivism, etc.
Today's atheist is an AINO
You mean they actually do believe in at least one god but say they don’t? That makes no sense.

The AINO Creed is an incoherent manifesto
Creed? Manifesto? What are you talking about?

I do not believe in any gods. My personal philosophy is rule-utilitarianism, with strong influences from ImmanualnKant and David Hume.

I know you’ve been told this many times: atheism is only the rejection of all god concepts. That’s it, nothing more.

But my main question is that if I am not actually an atheist because I don’t follow whatever creed you think I should be following, then how would you categorize me? Certainly not a theist. And I’d bet I also don’t fit whatever philosophy you think agnostics are supposed to have.

Atheism is not and has never been a set of beliefs or philosophies. Each individual atheist has his or her own outlook and philosophy including nihilism, humanism, mysticism, communism, objectivism, etc.

You mean they actually do believe in at least one god but say they don’t? That makes no sense.

Creed? Manifesto? What are you talking about?

I do not believe in any gods. My personal philosophy is rule-utilitarianism, with strong influences from ImmanualnKant and David Hume.

I know you’ve been told this many times: atheism is only the rejection of all god concepts. That’s it, nothing more.

But my main question is that if I am not actually an atheist because I don’t follow whatever creed you think I should be following, then how would you categorize me? Certainly not a theist. And I’d bet I also don’t fit whatever philosophy you think agnostics are supposed to have.
Atheism is a set of one belief. This is what the AINO denies. Without that belief (or disbelief, depending on how the fundamental proposition is phrased) atheism is not atheism; it is AINO. The creed or manifesto of the AINO is expressed in your post:
atheism is only the rejection of all god concepts. That’s it, nothing more.

nqb7v5.jpg

Disclaimer

Theses

CONSERVE DP BANDWIDTH.
THANK YOU.

Huh. Yet again you gleefully demonstrate that you have no idea what you're talking about and essentially make things up in a quest for getting attention.

I would say an AINO would be somebody who claims to be an atheist because they are “angry at God”. That isn’t an atheist.

Reading issues or decency issues with you? Here, cover the left eye and try reading the OP request with the right; then the other way around.
CONSERVE DP BANDWIDTH.
THANK YOU.

Angel,

Do you have faith that god exists ?
Or do you think that god may not exist ?

Atheism is a set of one belief. This is what the AINO denies. Without that belief (or disbelief, depending on how the fundamental proposition is phrased) atheism is not atheism; it is AINO. The creed or manifesto of the AINO is expressed in your post:

Why can you not get this...Atheism means a lack of belief in god or gods.

That's it.

No you can stretch that into saying an Atheist has a disbelief in god, but only if by that you mean an Atheist thinks that god doesn't exist.
Because Atheism is not a belief system.
It is a lack of belief.

Atheists use the term "believe" differently to theists.
When a theist says they believe in god, they mean they know god exists as a matter of fact
When an Atheist says he/she believes that god doesn't exist, they are saying that they don't think god exists.

Angel,

Do you have faith that god exists ?
Or do you think that god may not exist ?
You are conflating a question about religion with a question about God's existence.
I'll be glad to answer your questions if you separate them and show you know what you're asking.

Why can you not get this...Atheism means a lack of belief in god or gods.

That's it.

No you can stretch that into saying an Atheist has a disbelief in god, but only if by that you mean an Atheist thinks that god doesn't exist.
Because Atheism is not a belief system.
It is a lack of belief.

Atheists use the term "believe" differently to theists.
When a theist says they believe in god, they mean they know god exists as a matter of fact
When an Atheist says he/she believes that god doesn't exist, they are saying that they don't think god exists.
AINO jargon & cant alert!

You are conflating a question about religion with a question about God's existence.
I'll be glad to answer your questions if you separate them and show you know what you're asking.

You see it's been said that you have stated (not by me) that you know that god exists.

Yet you said (to me) that you are not 100% sure that god exists.
Which surprised me as I understood you to consider yourself a Christian, and I've yet to meet a someone calling themselves a Christian, who admitted that they weren't sure that god exists.
They are usually sure he does. As a matter of fact.
Christians claim to know the answer(s).

You see it's been said that you have stated (not by me) that you know that god exists.

Yet you said (to me) that you are not 100% sure that god exists.
Which surprised me as I understood you to consider yourself a Christian, and I've yet to meet a someone calling themselves a Christian, who admitted that they weren't sure that god exists.
They are usually sure he does. As a matter of fact.
Christians claim to know the answer(s).

Back
Top Bottom