• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#656]What Age Should be Required to Legally Purchase an AR-15 in the US?

What Age Should be Required to Legally Purchase an AR-15 in the US?

• Total voters
That's odd. You didn't bother to look at the poll results OR inquire as to whether, or not, I wished "to elaborate" in your your post# 692, did you?
She may have earlier-I didn't see an answer from you until recently

That's odd. You hadn't bothered to look at the poll results OR inquire as to whether, or not, I wished "to elaborate" before putting forth your your post# 692, did you?

Enjoy what's left of your evening.

well my point is this-it's not the guns. so what has changed. I think -after spending 30 years as a prosecutor in various jurisdictions, that a breakdown in the family is a key factor
I will grant that it's likely a factor. But in doing so, I have to equally acknowledge that there must be other factors that lead the US to having a chronic epidemic of mass gun violence resulting in deaths. I would add the internet, social isolation, mental health stigma, community anonymity, reluctance to report troubling behavior, etc. And yes, to some extent, I would add the fact that in many instances it's as easy for a psychopath to buy a deadly weapon as an ice cream cone.

I will grant that it's likely a factor. But in doing so, I have to equally acknowledge that there must be other factors that lead the US to having a chronic epidemic of mass gun violence resulting in deaths. I would add the internet, social isolation, mental health stigma, community anonymity, reluctance to report troubling behavior, etc. And yes, to some extent, I would add the fact that in many instances it's as easy for a psychopath to buy a deadly weapon than an ice cream cone.
well the last thing has not changed and prior to 1993 there were no background checks whatsoever and prior to 68 no bans on the mentally ill etc. So the Buying a gun has become harder

well the last thing has not changed and prior to 1993 there were no background checks whatsoever and prior to 68 no bans on the mentally ill etc. So the Buying a gun has become harder
So hard that virtually anyone can walk into a Walmart and walk out with a semi-automatic rifle with no questions asked. Brutal.

So hard that virtually anyone can walk into a Walmart and walk out with a semi-automatic rifle with no questions asked. Brutal.
except you have to answer-under the pain of felony perjury-tons of questions on the form so obviously you are in error when you say no questions asked. Then the clerk contacts the data base and inquires whether you can legally buy the gun

well my point is this-it's not the guns. so what has changed. I think -after spending 30 years as a prosecutor in various jurisdictions, that a breakdown in the family is a key factor
(y)

And I know, like me, it doesn't give you great pleasure to say so...

I will grant that it's likely a factor. But in doing so, I have to equally acknowledge that there must be other factors that lead the US to having a chronic epidemic of mass gun violence resulting in deaths. I would add the internet, social isolation, mental health stigma, community anonymity, reluctance to report troubling behavior, etc. And yes, to some extent, I would add the fact that in many instances it's as easy for a psychopath to buy a deadly weapon as an ice cream cone.

Most of the conservatives and independents have listed the same reasons, and yet, you seem to want to blame Republicans for et al.

I am thankful for the latter.

I am thankful for the latter.
if the government would actually prosecute those who lie on form 4473-be it denying they have disqualifying issues or lying that they are the actual buyer-that would do far more than the stupid "lets ban someone from owning a 15 round magazine nonsense"

if the government would actually prosecute those who lie on form 4473-be it denying they have disqualifying issues or lying that they are the actual buyer-that would do far more than the stupid "lets ban someone from owning a 15 round magazine nonsense"

Which begs the question. Why isn't the government prosecuting the liars?

Which begs the question. Why isn't the government prosecuting the liars?
no idea but when anti gunners want to cops to investigate anyone who buys say two guns or over 100 rounds of ammo, they clearly don't understand how little time police have to actually investigate real crimes

1654059436142.png

except you have to answer-under the pain of felony perjury-tons of questions on the form so obviously you are in error when you say no questions asked. Then the clerk contacts the data base and inquires whether you can legally buy the gun
I don't believe you were a prosecutor for 30 years. How many cases during that long and prestigious career did you bring against unqualified gun buyers?

Most of the conservatives and independents have listed the same reasons, and yet, you seem to want to blame Republicans for et al.
You have lost your mind. Peace out.

so if a few 21 year olds commit crime with guns they bought legally-your next solution will be 25 year limits
You would have far less at 25. See, 21 is a compromise. ;)

nah I think. that's the difference between my posts and yours. You feel, I think
No, you don't feel, you never did. No human will ever be as good as your guns.

Your thinking is just wrong.

Can't do that. Why?

Simply because we don't use that metric for any other issue of "legal adulthood" except "vices."

You can be drafted (or enlist) into the Military at 18.

You are tried as an adult at 18.

You are legally old enough to vote at 18.

You are legally old enough to get married without parental permission at 18 in every State except Nebraska (19), and Mississippi (21).

18 used to be old enough to drink until M.A.D.D. got involved and Congress used highway funding to force States to return it to 21.

However, if we truly wish to make that change, then Congress can raise the age for all ADULT rights to whatever.

But IMO if a "kid" can be drafted against their will, and forced to fight and risk death at 18?

Then IMO they are ADULTS at that age, and mommy (and every other SJW) is just going to have to let them be adults for everything else.
Being one who was drafted into the military and sent off to war, the first time that I ever had my hands on a semi/fully automatic weapon was, when I was in the service after being trained on one by professionals. At such a young age, with a brain not fully matured upon entry, those professionals and hot combat zone matured my brain beyond my normal age. Prior to that, sometimes around 12 years old and older, my father and other adults taught me how to respect a hunting rifle and shotgun. I wasn't allowed to touch a handgun. Being that I was brought up by strict parenting, I didn't stray from those rules. As responsible as I was prior to 18 years of age and during the 2 years of active duty I can admit to myself and those reading this that my brain was also damaged by war. What I mean by that is - it didn't take much for me to fist fight back in the world. Even as much as I knew my way around a M-16, M-60 and M-79 etc. - probably not a good idea to have handy in case my state of PTSD overrode my common sense, in which happened often.

But, my situation in life is much different than what this poll is asking. I understand the flip of a switch when one turns 18 in the US. On that 18th birthday, one becomes an instant adult. However, there's a lot of 'who gives a crap' mentality still going on at that age and a few years older. Especially in boys who have scores to settle that took place during their early years. Or, new scores that pop up even just past 21. The concern there is that in some minds, they still haven't matured enough to make good decisions when purchasing and carrying out plans to do mass harm with a deadly weapon that sports magazines. Unless properly trained at 18 or older, a semi-automatic AR-15 shouldn't belong to a young person. imo. Yes, I know - a 50 year old with an AR-15 can go to a crowded area and wound/kill 20-30 innocent people within a few minutes, but as far as I am concerned, this is about reducing the odds of those potential undeveloped mental cases squeezing off quick rounds into a crowded setting because they've had their feelers hurt by not selling AR-15s to them until they are older. I mean, what the hell - they still can purchase hand guns w/lower capacity mags at 18 so why bother with an AR-15 in the first place? Just wait a few years more than buy as many that is allowed. imo.

better armed than the police? maybe-for most of our history we were. but I merely want us to have the same weapons they have. Go ahead and try to ban them-that just will cause us to say MOLON LABE
This post shows exactly why we have mass shootings in this country. Kids see these gun nuts post pictures of themselves with their gun on Face Book or wherever. They see that unless you own a gun you’re not a man. They hear these idiots acting like they are ready to fight. “Go ahead and try to take our guns” Fight! Fight! Fight! They see politicians pictured with their guns. What’s a disturbed kid supposed to think? We are at war.

Most of you have no clue what the second amendment is about. The minute you attempt to fight against your government you are no longer a law abiding citizen.

Back
Top Bottom