• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:62]Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

Re: Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

I suspect Mississippi is not aware of its reputation for hanging. Da Nile runs deeper than the Mississippi in that neck of the woods.

Oh, I think they are very aware.

Hence the phrase ‘ if I was invited to a public hanging’... which hasn’t happened legally in Mississippi in the Senator’s lifetime.

Re: Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

Yes, you Trump cultists----who constantly whine and cry about being called deplorable despite the numerous despicable claims and individuals you have supported--- are constantly looking backwards.

That's where the idiotic notion that America stopped being great and needed a draft dodger who said avoiding STDs was "his Vietnam" to make it "great again" came from.

But I get it---you are desperately flailing to support your persecution complex and your hysterics now that I've called you out on it.

Call this.

michelle-obama-first-time-proud.jpg

Considering the fact that conservatives celebrate a regime which committed treason and murdered hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and sailors.....you really don't have nay room to talk.

No one is buying a looking backwards definition of a term that looks backwards all by itself.

You know the second A in MAGA, stands for 'again', right? That implies looking backwards by the people who created it. Reading comprehension needs to get better in Italy or you are going to trouble following posts in America.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

What sane, rational people know is that "Again" refers to economic strength, prosperity and opportunity. Too bad leftists want to turn America into a s-hole.

Considering the fact that conservatives celebrate a regime which committed treason and murdered hundreds of thousands of American soldiers and sailors.....you really don't have nay room to talk.

Now you're not even making sense. But, I see what you did there.
Deflection. Sad.

Outlaw speech. Violators will be sent to special Camps. From now on, hand gestures

And considering the attitudes of some people, a certain gesture would be used alot.

Now that is one heck of a stupid comment, built on a straw man, and totally misrepresenting what people are saying.

Now that is one heck of a stupid comment, built on a straw man, and totally misrepresenting what people are saying.

Ironic, since that is what accusers of racism do.

It's Mississippi, you know.... the 'hang em high' state.

From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States. Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black. The blacks lynched accounted for 72.7% of the people lynched. Out of the 4,743 people lynched only 1,297 white people were lynched. That is only 27.3%. Many of the whites lynched were lynched for helping the black or being anti lynching and even for domestic crimes. Mississippi had the highest lynchings from 1882-1968 with 581. Georgia was second with 531, and Texas was third with 493. 79% of lynching happened in the South.
I'm not arguing that Mississippi isn't racist. I'm just not seeing how this particular comment was a dog whistle.

My experience with the Mississippi is limited. But it just doesn't fit with dog-whistle politics. There are a lot of African Americans, a number that's further emphasized by the fact that virtually none of them are in charge. The bosses are by in large white, the underlings are virtually all black. Maybe it's starting to change, but Mississippi didn't feel like a place where you'd feel the need to hide or even state racism. The idea that whites are superior felt like it built into the fabric of the state.

It felt a lot different than Florida, Tennessee, the Carolina's etc.. where African American success causes resentment or Appalachia where the population is almost entirely white.

Now you're not even making sense. But, I see what you did there.
Deflection. Sad.

Yes, the conservative persecution complex is very sad.

I see you are still unable to back up your hysterical ravings.

You know the second A in MAGA, stands for 'again', right? That implies looking backwards by the people who created it.

So you're saying "MAGA" = starting up Jim Crow laws again?

You know...people can want to return to the bright days of yesteryear and not mean "I wanna be able to lynch them uppity n-words again without punishment" or "I wanna be able to legally discriminate against them colored folks!".

What they do what is "economic prosperity", "American military supremacy", weekends without dead teens in inner cities and less people dying of drug overdoses. Stuff like that.

Breaking News: Not everything is a racist "dog whistle".

Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

I'm not arguing that Mississippi isn't racist. I'm just not seeing how this particular comment was a dog whistle.

My experience with the Mississippi is limited. But it just doesn't fit with dog-whistle politics. There are a lot of African Americans, a number that's further emphasized by the fact that virtually none of them are in charge. The bosses are by in large white, the underlings are virtually all black. Maybe it's starting to change, but Mississippi didn't feel like a place where you'd feel the need to hide or even state racism. The idea that whites are superior felt like it built into the fabric of the state.

It felt a lot different than Florida, Tennessee, the Carolina's etc.. where African American success causes resentment or Appalachia where the population is almost entirely white.

Oh, it wasnt a dog whistle.

It was an off the cuff remark to a white audience that was never meant to be publicized.

It’s just casual racism, thats all.

Heres the clip, BTW. Laughs and clapping all around!

Twitter

Last edited:

Moderator's Warning:
This thread is in the Breaking News forum. Comments are expected to stick to the topic. The first ladies, are not the topic. Other posters are not the topic.

This is the topic: Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

Let's refocus on that leave out the rest.

Well, her opponent is Black, that's one dog whistle right there.

So you're saying "MAGA" = starting up Jim Crow laws again?

Nope, I'm saying it's moronic to claim that MAGA doesn't look backwards when it literally references references a point in history when America was supposeddly great.

Kind of like saying 'lets hang people again'. It clearly references a point when we did. Doesn't it? I wonder when the most hangings happened in Mississippi and for what reason? Hmmmmm.

Lol cute that you dropped your 'what about intentions'.

Last edited:

What sane, rational people know is that "Again" refers to economic strength, prosperity and opportunity. Too bad leftists want to turn America into a s-hole.

Lmao, ah, so what you're saying is that in the immediacy before Trump there was no strength prosperity and opportunity.

Want to substantiate that with some facts? Or just whine some more about Italians? Better yet, tell us all again how it is unjust that we don't want to work with or accept racists.

Your act is not subtle anymore, Acadia.

Try harder.

Secondly, no crime was committed.
Award-winning strawman of the thread.

Award-winning strawman of the thread.

I don't think the term means what you think it means, lol.

Cindy Hyde-Smith

@cindyhydesmith
US Senate candidate, MS
Every human being, no matter how small, is guaranteed the right to life by God — something Liberals like Mike Espy can't seem to understand. I'm proud to represent our MS values in DC, and as your U.S. Senator, you can count on me to always vote 100% pro-life... no exceptions!
7:49 AM - 9 Nov 2018

Except for those public hanging she is in front row to watch, then she's 'pro-choice hangings'. :lamo

Don't the know the politicians involved and don't much care, but it's a bit shrill to leap from "public hanging" to lynching without more context.

It was a pretty different world back when public hanging were common, and for many this was a spectacle not to be missed, and this was entirely separate from whatever races where involved.

So if there's more context than "appealing to frontier culture" let's hear it.

Otherwise, I'd leave it up to individual interpretations, and will only add that if THIS genuinely upsets you, you need to go find a real problem to solve.

Don't the know the politicians involved and don't much care, but it's a bit shrill to leap from "public hanging" to lynching without more context.

It was a pretty different world back when public hanging were common, and for many this was a spectacle not to be missed, and this was entirely separate from whatever races where involved.

So if there's more context than "appealing to frontier culture" let's hear it.

Otherwise, I'd leave it up to individual interpretations, and will only add that if THIS genuinely upsets you, you need to go find a real problem to solve.

The state which this politician is currently running for senate is Mississippi, a state with a long and bloody past Associated with racism.

The state which this politician is currently running for senate is Mississippi, a state with a long and bloody past Associated with racism.

Sure, but then there's few enough that don't have such a history, though Mississippi has a especially bad rep.

But this is today, and the linkage between "public hanging" and racism is far from clear.

Public hanging was the default punishment for all sorts of crimes, and there is very little doubt that far more white folks were hung over the years than black folks.

Generally, when a slave was hung publicly, it would be within the law. It was sometimes dark, twisted, bad law, but still law.

Lynchings were generally done privately by people in disguise, or who had an understanding amongst the participants (being co-murderers must create a heck of a bond) because even though there was fairly wide support, the participants knew it was wrong enough to conceal their identities.

I don't have a problem with people who see it differently, but I do think too many of us go through our day looking for the next outrage.

Is this really where we've gotten ourselves to? Are we at the point that politicians feel so emboldened by a racist president that they not longer feel that it's necessary to hide their own racism? Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi is in a run-off election on Nov. 27th with an African-American opponent Mike Espy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/mississippi-senator-whose-runoff-opponent-black-jokes-about-public-hanging-n935006

Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

A video of U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith , R-Miss., who faces a runoff against an African-American opponent, joking about attending "a public hanging" went viral Sunday as she insisted there was nothing negative about her remark.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Hyde-Smith said during a campaign stop in Tupelo, Mississippi. The man she was referring to was identified as a local rancher.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row"- Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith says in Tupelo, MS after Colin Hutchinson, cattle rancher, praises her.

Hyde-Smith is in a runoff on Nov 27th against Mike Espy. pic.twitter.com/0a9jOEjokr
— Lamar White, Jr. (@LamarWhiteJr) November 11, 2018

Hyde-Smith's opponent in the runoff is former Secretary of Agriculture Mike Espy.

...The racial elements of the comment were lost on few in a state where 38 percent of the population is black, and it earned a fair amount of backlash on social media.

There was nothing remotely racist in her remark, and certainly no apology is warranted.

Sure, but then there's few enough that don't have such a history, though Mississippi has a especially bad rep.

But this is today, and the linkage between "public hanging" and racism is far from clear.

Public hanging was the default punishment for all sorts of crimes, and there is very little doubt that far more white folks were hung over the years than black folks.

Generally, when a slave was hung publicly, it would be within the law. It was sometimes dark, twisted, bad law, but still law.

Lynchings were generally done privately by people in disguise, or who had an understanding amongst the participants (being co-murderers must create a heck of a bond) because even though there was fairly wide support, the participants knew it was wrong enough to conceal their identities.

I don't have a problem with people who see it differently, but I do think too many of us go through our day looking for the next outrage.

Your youth is showing. I'm old and I clearly remember the news and accompanying photos of Black men being found hanging from a tree, sometimes several at a time, or being dragged chained to the back of a pickup truck (1983). You're statistically incorrect if you believe that 'far more white men were hung over the year than black folk'. There are historical records to prove that's not correct.

From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States. Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black. The blacks lynched accounted for 72.7% of the people lynched. Out of the 4,743 people lynched only 1,297 white people were lynched. That is only 27.3%. Many of the whites lynched were lynched for helping the black or being anti lynching and even for domestic crimes. Mississippi had the highest lynchings from 1882-1968 with 581. Georgia was second with 531, and Texas was third with 493. 79% of lynching happened in the South.

November, 2017

https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--law/suspects-bragged-about-dragging-black-man-behind-truck/OnC4gdAscJXsmOi6crfDsI/
GRIFFIN —

The two Spalding County men accused of dragging a young black man to his death behind a pickup truck wore the three-decades-old crime as a “badge of honor,” prosecutor Marie Broder said at Thursday’s probable cause hearing.

Brothers-in-law William Moore Sr. and Frank Gebhardt allegedly bragged about killing 23-year-old Timothy Coggins to children and adults, girlfriends and acquaintances. They even argued over which one of them was truly responsible for Coggins’ 1983 death — not for fear of being caught, but because they felt the other was taking undue credit, GBI Special Agent Jared Coleman testified in a cramped courtroom inside the Spalding jail.

“They were proud of what they had done,” said Coleman, who works with the GBI’s cold case unit. “They felt like they were protecting the white race from black people.”

Last edited:

Your youth is showing. I'm old and I clearly remember the news and accompanying photos of Black men being found hanging from a tree, sometimes several at a time, or being dragged chained to the back of a pickup truck (1983). You're statistically incorrect if you believe that 'far more white men were hung over the year than black folk'. There are historical records to prove that's not correct.

Not only that but many of the martyrs of the civil rights movement were killed in Mississippi.

Emmett till, medger Evers, andrew Goodman, Mickey schwerner, James Cheney, and Vernon dahmer are the most prominent of these civil rights martyrs

Back
Top Bottom