• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:62]Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

You're conflating capital punishment of convicted criminals by public hanging with the extra-judicial lynching of Blacks in the South. You're also dredging up American history from the 1600, 1700 and 1800's when people were executed by being hung in the town square.

You're attempting to link those hangings or lynchings to what happened in the South before 1964 and the Civil Rights Act. Public hanging and lynching share similarities and both have the same effect, death. Many public hangings of Blacks happened in the South as did private lynchings sometimes by mobs and sometimes by just a couple of people that used their hatred to take the law into their own hands.

A lynching is nothing more than an extra-judicial execution, usually committed by a mob. Hanging was but one of the possible execution methods utilized, dependent upon the mob's sadism. The "crime" (guilt usually not proven) could be anything from mistaken identity, mere suspicion, being related to another "criminal" or suspect, being "uppity", looking at a white woman or looking a white man directly in the eye all the way to theft and murder. Sometime after 1880 lynching (the victim) fell most heavily upon Blacks than Whites. Sadly the phenomenon happened in all regions of the U.S., but the Southeast, Southwest (Texas and Oklahoma), and parts of the Midwest seemed to have the most occurrences.

2018 reached the centennial anniversary of the lynching of Mary Turner in Valdosta, Georgia. To get an idea of where the mentally of the South still resides in it's deepest darkest recesses, just read the story about Mary Turner. The memorial marker erected to her was shot several times the first year it was erected in 2010 and since then has had many more bullet holes shot into it. So if you believe that the comments of Cindy Hyde-Smith had no darker meaning than a judicial hanging of a convicted criminal, I would suggest you give that a second thought.

"A Hundred Years After Her Lynching, Mary Turner’s Memorial Remains a Battleground
The Ways We Remember, Forget, and Erase the History of This Tragedy Is an Inescapable Part of Its Story"

A Hundred Years After Her Lynching, Mary Turner's Memorial Remains a Battleground | Essay | Zócalo Public Square
Actually youre the one conflating hangings and lynchings as if there isnt any distincton between the two things.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One need not be a Trump supporter to stand up for plain English and against lefty propaganda.
Somrwhat ironic that your arguing someone who goes by justhanging. I guess we should conflate his nomiker with lynchings and assume he is a closet racist

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No, last night, half of Mississippi reminded the US why it's:

50th in income
48th in economy
3rd in welfare dependency
50th in healthcare
50th in infant mortality
2nd in obesity
47th in education
50th in college readiness
47th in employment
7th in depression
https://mobile.twitter.com/DannyDeraney/status/1067629657275547648

That’s what really happened.

As said often by a friend of mine from Alabama: "Thank God for Mississippi."
The fact that people are poor, uneducated and unhealthy does not take away their dignity or sense of fairness.

In any other state, you would have lost the election if you made a joke about public hanging.

In any other state, you would have lost the election if you made a joke about public hanging.

No. Public hangings were an integral part of the justice system throughout the country for centuries. They were often social, even festive events and the phrase "more fun than a public hanging" has stayed in the language across wide stretches of the country.

No. Public hangings were an integral part of the justice system throughout the country for centuries. They were often social, even festive events and the phrase "more fun than a public hanging" has stayed in the language across wide stretches of the country.

True, and after the hanging in most cultures they burned the body. A number of times before the hanging, they cut off the penis, ears and noise then hang the person before he bleed out. And Mississippi just elected a woman that wants to be involved in a hanging.

True, and after the hanging in most cultures they burned the body. A number of times before the hanging, they cut off the penis, ears and noise then hang the person before he bleed out. And Mississippi just elected a woman that wants to be involved in a hanging.

You're describing a lynching, not a public hanging. They were different.

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/28/illinois-house-expunges-stephanie-kifowit-legionna/

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — The Illinois House took the rare step Wednesday of erasing from its record a Democratic legislator’s remark suggesting she’d like to infect the water supply of a GOP colleague’s loved ones with “a broth of Legionella.”

Breen, the Republican floor leader who last month narrowly lost re-election to a third term, accepted Kifowit’s apology. But he noted that if she had made the statement elsewhere, “she’d be in custody.” Instead, he said, her declaration was “met with applause instead of handcuffs.”

Absolutely.

Right now I live in Knoxville Tennessee, and I understand Mississippi and Alabama: and you have to accept cost prohibitive wages to make me think about moving to these two states. At a Alabama rest stop, they fly the third national Confederate States of America flag. They get around it by flying all national flags flown within all or parts of the state. I would not mind living in Atlanta Georgia, because the business community has changed the state. Out of the three states, only Georgia wants people to move to its state.

Right now I live in Knoxville Tennessee, and I understand Mississippi and Alabama: and you have to accept cost prohibitive wages to make me think about moving to these two states. At a Alabama rest stop, they fly the third national Confederate States of America flag. They get around it by flying all national flags flown within all or parts of the state. I would not mind living in Atlanta Georgia, because the business community has changed the state. Out of the three states, only Georgia wants people to move to its state.

That has nothing to do with the topic.
I almost took a job near Knoxville (Oak Ridge) and our second son graduated from Vanderbilt in Nashville, so that part of the country is not a mystery to me.

That has nothing to do with the topic.
I almost took a job near Knoxville (Oak Ridge) and our second son graduated from Vanderbilt in Nashville, so that part of the country is not a mystery to me.

The South is not much different than Southern Indiana, unfortunately for both. The same applies to Southern Illinois, most of Missouri and a good chunk of Ohio.

The South is not much different than Southern Indiana, unfortunately for both. The same applies to Southern Illinois, most of Missouri and a good chunk of Ohio.

I grew up in southern Indiana. It has a lot in common with the upper South; the deep South not so much.
There's a great book that sheds some light on how this came to be. It's The Cousins' Wars by Kevin Phillips. Short version is that northern two-thirds of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois were settled via the Great Lakes and established agriculture based on wheat, beef and beer. Southern third of each was settled via Kentucky and the Ohio River and established agriculture based on corn, hogs and whiskey. My home town was in the southern third of Indiana. There is in Virginia a gap in the Blue Ridge that bears my family name.

That's right. The Bob Dylan song "Desolation Row" starts out "They're selling postcards of the hanging...."

Back
Top Bottom