• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:62]Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Is this really where we've gotten ourselves to? Are we at the point that politicians feel so emboldened by a racist president that they not longer feel that it's necessary to hide their own racism? Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi is in a run-off election on Nov. 27th with an African-American opponent Mike Espy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/mississippi-senator-whose-runoff-opponent-black-jokes-about-public-hanging-n935006

Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

A video of U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith , R-Miss., who faces a runoff against an African-American opponent, joking about attending "a public hanging" went viral Sunday as she insisted there was nothing negative about her remark.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Hyde-Smith said during a campaign stop in Tupelo, Mississippi. The man she was referring to was identified as a local rancher.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row"- Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith says in Tupelo, MS after Colin Hutchinson, cattle rancher, praises her.

Hyde-Smith is in a runoff on Nov 27th against Mike Espy. pic.twitter.com/0a9jOEjokr
— Lamar White, Jr. (@LamarWhiteJr) November 11, 2018

Hyde-Smith's opponent in the runoff is former Secretary of Agriculture Mike Espy.

...The racial elements of the comment were lost on few in a state where 38 percent of the population is black, and it earned a fair amount of backlash on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

If people don't elect him, racists **** themselves because - how else will we truly be a free society if we don't allow racists to work around us and voice their opinions without fear of consequences?

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Re: Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

Poor choice of words to be sure, especially with the state's dark past.
However, unless someone can prove it was intended to be racist, it's nothing but a case of "speaking before thinking".

However, unless someone can prove it was intended to be racist, it's nothing but a case of "speaking before thinking".

WHat do you think that? Racist comments don't have to be INTENDED to show someone is a deep racist.

Like a Freudian slip, right?

Those are speaking without thinking by definition.

People might just make a comment off the cuff during an interview but she's a Junior U.S. Senator but she's not new to politics and has served as Mississippi State Senator as a Democrat and switched her part to Republican in 2010 citing her 'conservative beliefs'. If she hasn't learned by now that it's absolutely vital to think before speaking then she never will.

Trump administration did not initially support Hyde-Smith's appointment because of her history as a Democrat, but in August, Trump endorsed her in her campaign to be elected for the remainder of retiring Thad Cochran's term. Hyde-Smith declined to debate her Democratic opponent, Mike Espy, before the November 6, 2018 special election. After she and Espy each finished with about 41 percent of the vote in the election, she agreed to a debate with Espy on November 20. The run-off election will be held on November 27

Truthfully, I don't think her comment will hurt her a bit in the run-off election. It is Mississippi after-all.

Joking about a public hanging is one Hell of an example of a poor choice of words.

Is this really where we've gotten ourselves to? Are we at the point that politicians feel so emboldened by a racist president that they not longer feel that it's necessary to hide their own racism? Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi is in a run-off election on Nov. 27th with an African-American opponent Mike Espy.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/mississippi-senator-whose-runoff-opponent-black-jokes-about-public-hanging-n935006

Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'

A video of U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith , R-Miss., who faces a runoff against an African-American opponent, joking about attending "a public hanging" went viral Sunday as she insisted there was nothing negative about her remark.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Hyde-Smith said during a campaign stop in Tupelo, Mississippi. The man she was referring to was identified as a local rancher.

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row"- Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith says in Tupelo, MS after Colin Hutchinson, cattle rancher, praises her.

Hyde-Smith is in a runoff on Nov 27th against Mike Espy. pic.twitter.com/0a9jOEjokr

Hyde-Smith's opponent in the runoff is former Secretary of Agriculture Mike Espy.

...The racial elements of the comment were lost on few in a state where 38 percent of the population is black, and it earned a fair amount of backlash on social media.

This is just unbelievable.

They’re not even pretending anymore.

Last legal public hanging in MS :1940.

Last public hanging in MS: 2018.

Hanging death investigation: NAACP seeks FBI probe

Casual racism, and a joke about killing negroes... she really WOULD be representing Mississippi.

Joking about a public hanging is one Hell of an example of a poor choice of words.
Yeah but the standard has become that unless you can read their minds, it's not racist because intentions can always be denied.

Outlaw speech. Violators will be sent to special Camps. From now on, hand gestures

And considering the attitudes of some people, a certain gesture would be used alot.

WHat do you think that? Racist comments don't have to be INTENDED to show someone is a deep racist.
That's the thing, when you shift the onus from what a person did, to what their intensions were, then it doesn't matter what they did, because intensions are subjective, and unverifiable.

We can only get past racism if racists are allowed to freely express themselves without consequence like they always have in the US.

That's the only way things change. By staying the same.

Duh.

C'mon, dude. He might've not thought before he spoke, or even intended to say that, but you can't seriously tell me that that wasn't a racist comment.

Last edited:

That's the thing, when you shift the onus from what a person did, to what their intensions were, then it doesn't matter what they did, because intensions are subjective, and unverifiable.

We can only get past racism if racists are allowed to freely express themselves without consequence like they always have in the US.

Duh.

It does seem to be an excuse for racism.

..and an odd thing to support since only a few countries still allow this: Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, and Somalia. I'm not sure whether she intended it as a racist remark or not, but supporting that kind of barbarity keeps us in some interesting company among nations.

This is patriotic American nationalist, Sam Troy. What she said was a big nothing-burger. It wasn't racist. Back in the good ole days, both blacks and whites were hanged in public like town squares. Personally, I think public hangings should be brought back. It would make certain type people think twice about committing crimes.

Last edited:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...nent-black-jokes-about-public-hanging-n935006

I don't know, I just don't see it. Is this a regional phrase that I've never heard before? Something like "I trust this person enough that if they asked me to go to the worst spectacle I can think of I'd still watch from the front row". I don't really read it as "hey lets hang a black guy".

When I first heard the "Monkey this up" my first thought was that maybe it was just an off the cuff mistake. Then I watched the video and it was clear that it was a deliberate effort to make the race about race. This doesn't have that feel, at least not in my current opinion.

I'm not saying that she is or isn't racist, but this is Mississippi. It's a beautiful state with a lot of nice people, but no one would consider language or literacy their strong suit.

Also, while my experience isn't all that extensive, I find racism in Mississippi to be vastly different than you'd find in Florida or Appalachia.

I don't really know this person. Not the greatest comment to make. But, this country, in the old west, had public hangings on a regular basis. It was probably an innocent comment. Many people on the left try taking comments that were made innocently and use them to play the race card.

Yeah but the standard has become that unless you can read their minds, it's not racist because intentions can always be denied.

More than that, unless someone signs a sworn affidavit stating “I am racist” the person cannot be deemed a racist.

Does everyone have to walk on eggshells when they talk?

Ironically, for the Left, that's a hanging offense.

C'mon, dude. He might've not thought before he spoke, or even intended to say that, but you can't seriously tell me that that wasn't a racist comment.

How is it "racist"? How many Italians were hung? Yeah, they were.
The irony is that now it's the LEFT who are the lynch mobs, escalating violence and acting as judge and jury.

I don't really know this person. Not the greatest comment to make. But, this country, in the old west, had public hangings on a regular basis. It was probably an innocent comment. Many people on the left try taking comments that were made innocently and use them to play the race card.

The agenda is naked at this point. They use language as a cudgel.
What's really scary is that they are indicting white people of thought crimes.

More than that, unless someone signs a sworn affidavit stating “I am racist” the person cannot be deemed a racist.
I'm getting the feeling that they need to tattoo swastikas on their backs to be deemed racists.

Otherwise, it's all opinion, all the time, and if you can't read what was on their mind at that moment, it can't be racist.

Duh.

Read Kierkegaard's "Fear and Trembling". It's not an answer, but it's a pretty thoughtful work on the morality of intentions vs actions.

Is there any moral difference between attempting to kill someone and succeeding? What about accidentally vs intentionally killing someone? On the flipside, does it make the victim feel any better if the injury they received wasn't intentional?

The agenda is naked at this point. They use language as a cudgel.
What's really scary is that they are indicting white people of thought crimes.
Better get a thought lawyer and argue your thought innocence before thought judges - it's the only way to stop the white genocide.

Amirite?

Back
Top Bottom