• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:607]Trump Oval Office meeting with Pelosi, Schumer spirals over border wall — live updates

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Pelosi knows that there never will be a wall. People need to stop clinging to this misguided dream. The problem is Trump thinks he has the votes for it or something like it.

An Oval Office meeting with President Trump, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and presumptive incoming speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi Tuesday spiraled out of control — in Pelosi's words — over funding the border.

With a potential government shutdown looming less than two weeks away, Pelosi told Mr. Trump, "you will not win" on the border wall. The president demanded border wall funding — and said he's not afraid the shut down the government over it.

DuJv7BsW0AIvoU9.jpg

Trump Oval Office meeting with Pelosi, Schumer spirals over border wall — live updates

Last edited:
Re: Trump Oval Office meeting with Pelosi, Schumer spirals over border wall — live updates

Who thought it was good idea to have the press and public witness the bickering? This was a delay release as well......

Re: Trump Oval Office meeting with Pelosi, Schumer spirals over border wall — live updates

Who thought it was good idea to have the press and public witness the bickering? This was a delay release as well......

Out of the three of them? Only one loves media attention.

Trump is just going through the motions...giving the Dems a chance to do the right thing...letting them publicly expose their hypocritical opposition.

In the meantime, he is telling the People that their opposition doesn't matter. He will build the wall.

Despite the large Caravans that WERE forming and heading to our Country, people have not been able to get through our newly built Walls, makeshift Walls & Fences, or Border Patrol Officers & Military. They are now staying in Mexico or going back to their original countries.......
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 11, 2018

.....Ice, Border Patrol and our Military have done a FANTASTIC job of securing our Southern Border. A Great Wall would be, however, a far easier & less expensive solution. We have already built large new sections & fully renovated others, making them like new. The Democrats,.....

....however, for strictly political reasons and because they have been pulled so far left, do NOT want Border Security. They want Open Borders for anyone to come in. This brings large scale crime and disease. Our Southern Border is now Secure and will remain that way.......

.....I look forward to my meeting with Chuck Schumer & Nancy Pelosi. In 2006, Democrats voted for a Wall, and they were right to do so. Today, they no longer want Border Security. They will fight it at all cost, and Nancy must get votes for Speaker. But the Wall will get built...

....People do not yet realize how much of the Wall, including really effective renovation, has already been built. If the Democrats do not give us the votes to secure our Country, the Military will build the remaining sections of the Wall. They know how important it is!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 11, 2018​

It's par for the course to have some kind of ceremonial open-press meeting before having the real debate behind closed doors. Trump just didn't wait until the closed meeting to start talking, and Pelosi and Schumer weren't going to look weak by not retorting, so here we are.

Trump is just going through the motions...giving the Dems a chance to do the right thing...letting them publicly expose their hypocritical opposition.

In the meantime, he is telling the People that their opposition doesn't matter. He will build the wall.
Despite the large Caravans that WERE forming and heading to our Country, people have not been able to get through our newly built Walls, makeshift Walls & Fences, or Border Patrol Officers & Military. They are now staying in Mexico or going back to their original countries.......

.....Ice, Border Patrol and our Military have done a FANTASTIC job of securing our Southern Border. A Great Wall would be, however, a far easier & less expensive solution. We have already built large new sections & fully renovated others, making them like new. The Democrats,.....

....however, for strictly political reasons and because they have been pulled so far left, do NOT want Border Security. They want Open Borders for anyone to come in. This brings large scale crime and disease. Our Southern Border is now Secure and will remain that way.......

.....I look forward to my meeting with Chuck Schumer & Nancy Pelosi. In 2006, Democrats voted for a Wall, and they were right to do so. Today, they no longer want Border Security. They will fight it at all cost, and Nancy must get votes for Speaker. But the Wall will get built...

....People do not yet realize how much of the Wall, including really effective renovation, has already been built. If the Democrats do not give us the votes to secure our Country, the Military will build the remaining sections of the Wall. They know how important it is!

But he said Mexico would pay for the wall. So who is the hypocrite? It's Trump.

That was a riot.
Democrats there to negotiate in good faith, Trump begging them to tel him he's full of **** and that his facts are made up.
Nancy says she's there to negotiate, not to ridicule Trump's stupid nonsense, contradict his stupid lies, etc...which is not how you negotiate.
Schumer can barely contain his laughter, and gets Trump to admit that the shut-down is all on Trump, that's it's quite literally, a Trump Shutdown.

Republicans have the House, Senate, and Presidency, if there is a shut-down, it's Trump, not Democrats.
A bi-partisan house and senate bill, keeping border security similar to last year, at a level Trump has claimed is effective (he claims last year they did well with border security), but Trump refuses it.

Amazing to see that in public.

About to watch it now.

Five and a half minutes in and trump is just rambling and ranting. Waiting for the "clash" to happen.

Last edited:

One thing that definitely stood out for me was ... Chuck and Nancy don't want to have a discussion in front of cameras. :lamo

One thing that definitely stood out for me was ... Chuck and Nancy don't want to have a discussion in front of cameras. :lamo

There are 535 people who don't want to have any discussions in front of cameras. No surprise

They were just doing damage control at the press conference.

Out of the three of them? Only one loves media attention.
While you meant Trump, I know Chuck Schumer. There is an old saying, "the most dangerous place to stand is between Chuck Shumer and a news camera."

So you do not understand how the US government works. I recommend learning how a bill becomes a law, and who controls government spending. Let me help you get started:

Unless those statements are fact-checked, one cannot take anything that Trump Tweets at face value. Let's remember that he Tweeted that he had a nuclear deal with NK, only to find that they hadn't stopped. He also Tweeted that he forged a trade deal with China, only for us to find out that he hadn't.

LAst year, he met with Schumer and Pelosi only to renege on everything he promised.

So you do not understand how the US government works. I recommend learning how a bill becomes a law, and who controls government spending. Let me help you get started:

It's OK, he might not be from around here.

I thought the Pentagon had a slush fund?

It's OK, he might not be from around here.

Do you think we can build a wall to keep him out? I hear Mexico will pay for it...

I thought the Pentagon had a slush fund?

Only for officers. Us working stiffs never saw a dime from it.

Nope the Con-man in Chief hasn't built much of anything besides stupid rambling improperly connected twitter threads

Do you think we can build a wall to keep him out? I hear Mexico will pay for it...

It would have to be pretty high to keep out the drug flingers and you know airplanes.

Pelosi knows that there never will be a wall. People need to stop clinging to this misguided dream. The problem is Trump thinks he has the votes for it or something like it.

View attachment 67245843

Trump Oval Office meeting with Pelosi, Schumer spirals over border wall — live updates

WOW. He just got utterly, completely destroyed.

Just look at Pence: https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1072540867590848514

They tag-teamed him so hard that he:

A. Insisted a lot of the wall was built
B. THEN insisted that it wasn’t built
C. THEN demanded money to build a wall that he said was somehow built and not yet built
D. Made himself responsible for a potential shutdown ("I'm PROUD to shut down the gov't for border security")
E. Whine about winning the Senate and then insisting upon as if it were important in the context of the talk.

WOW. He just got utterly, completely destroyed.

Just look at Pence: https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1072540867590848514

They tag-teamed him so hard that he:

A. Insisted a lot of the wall was built
B. THEN insisted that it wasn’t built
C. THEN demanded money to build a wall that he said was somehow built and not yet built
D. Made himself responsible for a potential shutdown
E. Whine about winning the Senate and then insisting upon as if it were important in the context of the talk.

Eventually he is going to claim that the wall is built and ONLY his supporters can see it. Just like in that Our Cartoon President episode.

Things are only going to get worse for the American people. Congress will become more dysfunctional. The President will remain dysfunctional.

It was painful to watch the vids of the gathering.

Great to see this!!!

None of that fake BS stuff like what happened during the Obama administration.

Eventually he is going to claim that the wall is built and ONLY his supporters can see it. Just like in that Our Cartoon President episode.

He's absolutely bonkers-delusional.

Trump: "If I needed the votes for the wall in the house, I would have them in one session. It would be done."

Pelosi: "So go do it."

Bluff called.

Back
Top Bottom