• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:531]What Is Wrong with "slut shaming"?

Re: What Is Wrong with "slut shaming"?

No offense but that is the most idiotic thing I've seen posted today.

By that reasoning you don't have the freedom to vote if you can't vote multiple times in the same election for the same person.

No, because you don't have a right to vote multiple times.

I have the freedom to say "I hope Donald Trump strokes out on national TV during the state of the union address."

See? No laws broken, but I definitely just abused the right to free speech.

I was thinking about social (including governmental) pressures.

So, you're one of those big government types?

So, you're one of those big government types?

Whenever I see it as necessary to advance a worthy agenda. I don't have reflexive anti government tendencies though I do consider myself conservative overall.

Note, almost half a dozen responses and no one is bothering to even attempt to explain why sexual promiscuity should not be condemned.

You've kinda failed in explaining why it should be condemned.

Whenever I see it as necessary to advance a worthy agenda. I don't have reflexive anti government tendencies though I do consider myself conservative overall.

You want the government in people's bedrooms.

Which century are you in? This is some Woodrow Wilson level crap.

Oh....Look at me....a morally righteous and pious soul qualified to decide who is worthy and who is a "slut"...I am clearly so far above reproach and sin I can cast stones at everyone.

My virtue signal is so bright and pure....I am qualified to denigrate and condemn anyone I feel is beneath my holier than thou moral standards.

And???? They should receive equal slut shaming.

Nothing is equal in real life. Most women will only date men who are experienced seasoned pros, so slut shaming men is meaningless.

But there are a lot of couples in long term (committed to each other ) relationships.

Over two thirds of US women use birth control consistently.

Less than 10 percent are sexually active and not using birth control and not trying to become pregnant.

Nearly two-thirds of US women use contraception, CDC reports

That's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that most women who get abortions are unwed and pregnant. Feminists demanded that marriage not be a requirement for motherhood, and by golly, you geniuses got your wish.

Congratulations on trolling the thread....Slut shaming is so Victorian it is time to dispel the myth of people who have sex...

That is not trolling, that is telling the truth about an utterly stupid thread OP and view.

Lol, sluts are violent too? Any other stereotypes you want to attribute to them, like reefer madness?

What? You shame anybody about other things than just their sexual activity such as their looks, their occupation, or their family and you could get your fat ass kicked. People are like that.

I personally hate the word "slut" with a passion but I'm using it here given everyone will know what I'm talking about.

Slut-shaming is the province of small peen insecure males.

What? You shame anybody about other things than just their sexual activity such as their looks, their occupation, or their family and you could get your fat ass kicked. People are like that.

Have you been beaten up by sluts before? That's a more interesting story, if you want to share it here. I've never heard of people being beaten for slut shaming.

My stats are this that I know of.
Wife had abortion. It was not long past that that she decided sex with her male coworkers was great fun. She filed for divorce.
Step daughter called me in tears. Her boyfriend kicked her out since she got pregnant. How dare she get pregnant when this ass wanted sex.
I took her to the clinic, paid for his screw up. She waited 30 days and hopped right back into bed with this loser.

GF called me to meet. She was pregnant. I met her and wanted her to bear our child. She says no. She went to planned death hood for the abortion and I picked her up and lovingly cared for her. We broke up in 1995 over her becoming a slut. Oh, I paid half of the cost.

GF called me to meet also at a restaurant. There she told me she was pregnant. Different GF. So I was a bit more leery about her but said I wanted to marry her. She snuck off to SF to have her abortion. She never asked for money. We shortly after broke up.

Abortions kill relationships.

Oh boy. Again, Department of Too Much Information.

Most women who get abortions aren't married.

45% of the abortion patients are co-habitating or are married. 59% of them already have children and a further 9% had been married previously.

Characteristics of U.S. Abortion Patients in 2014 and Changes Since 2008 | Guttmacher Institute

FYI, the average age of women to get married is 26, so if they have an abortion before that time it is not strange to notice that they are not married.

Close to half are in a committed relationship when they aborted.

Also, their choice is none of our business.

If we want to lower the abortion rate we should do it by good sex education and birth control. Other than that this is purely a woman's choice.

Last edited:

I will never call a woman a slut; it is indeed a terrible word. I will never try to shame her in any way, shape, or form.

This said, let's look at the issue of promiscuity - maybe even this term is too pejorative, but let's look at the behavior of having some sort of large number of ever-changing sexual partners.

I'll look at it in two different ways.

Situation A: The woman is wildly enjoying the sex and fulfilling herself, and she feels content and happy. She is using precautions to avoid STDs and PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). She initiates the sex and/or consents to the sex because she really wants it and likes it. She is able to refrain from it when the conditions are not right. She avoids hurting anybody else with her behavior (that is, she is not a serial cheater). She practices efficient contraception if she doesn't want kids at this point in her life. OK, these characteristics being true, I'll say, good for her! I'm happy for her that she is enjoying herself. If necessary, I'd try to put at her disposition resources to ensure that when she does it, she continues to do it in a safe and responsible manner, and/or she can have access to help if her situation were to change.

Situation B: The woman doesn't really enjoy the sex; she does it out of low self-esteem and insecurity, thinking that she is a good-for-nothing so in order to deserve any attention she needs to jump into bed with any guy who wants to screw her; then afterwards she feels guilty and dirty and with even lower self-esteem; she takes few precautions and ends up with PID and/or STDs; she feels forced into it by domineering and sadistic partners or does it in exchange for drugs of addiction that she has no power to self-control; she is a victim of sexual abuse and it twisted her sexuality in a way that she feels compelled to repeat it over and over; she is in a committed relationship but repeatedly cheats on her partner and at some point her behavior is discovered resulting in extreme pain for the partner and/or other people (like children); she has repeated unwanted pregnancies that result in serial abortions that end up being dangerous too (for example, if repeatedly done by poorly qualified people in less than sanitary conditions) or irresponsibly gives birth to unwanted children who then get neglected and/or abused. Well, if one or more of the above is/are the case, then, it's not good for her, and I will experience pity for her, and will try to offer help (counseling, medical and psychological treatments, social protections).

So, whether or not this behavior is pleasurable or detrimental, depends on the woman and on a large set of circumstances. It's not black-and-white. These circumstances are also not written in stone and can change. A woman in situation A for example can end up jaded and can start questioning her lifestyle and the pleasure equation may change; a woman in situation B can take some corrective action and start enjoying it in a healthier way... and everything in-between.

So, I don't look into it from the moral/judgmental standpoint. I look into it in terms of whether the woman is well and safe and not being harmed by her behavior, or she is not well, is getting harmed, and is in need of serious help.

This, by the way, applies to men as well. But they are being harmed and need help more rarely than women, because they count on more societal approval, and fewer risks (they won't get PID, they won't get pregnant, although they can get other people pregnant with disastrous consequences, and can get STDs).

This is not sexist in any way: it's just that if I approach the issue from the standpoint of finding out who needs help; men just need it less frequently, for various reasons. That's just a fact; I wish society didn't have double standards, but I can't change society. This said, even if less numerous, there are cases of men who do need serious help regarding sexual behavior, and boys/teenagers who need guidance to learn proper behaviors and precautions.

And to answer the OP's question, what is wrong with slut-shaming? Well, you won't accomplish any lasting changing in behavior by shaming people. Often you'll perpetuate the low-self-esteem problem, if shaming is your approach.

Last edited:

Shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something we should treat as "shameful"? What possible redeeming and positive attribute does it have? No matter your views on abortion, or premarital or extramarital sexual morality shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something that everyone on every side of the belief spectrum rightfully condemns?

What could possibly be wrong about shaming people who engage in such behavior?[/LEFT]

Can you explain what is wrong with 2 consenting adults enjoying responsible sex together?

Why isnt the intimacy, the bonding, the pleasure reason enough to support it?

I personally hate the word "slut" with a passion but I'm using it here given everyone will know what I'm talking about.

Why is this in the abortion sub-forum?

Please explain why you posted this here.​

Note, almost half a dozen responses and no one is bothering to even attempt to explain why sexual promiscuity should not be condemned.

Should driving cars be condemned? Should eating food be condemned? Should skiing be condemned?

Why do you single out sex with consenting adults? Why do you believe it should be condemned?

Back
Top Bottom