• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:531]What Is Wrong with "slut shaming"?

Re: What Is Wrong with "slut shaming"?

I personally hate the word "slut" with a passion but I'm using it here given everyone will know what I'm talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut

A recurring theme for people on the right who criticize women's sexual behaviors is that they are "slut shaming". Now according to everything I've read a "slut" or "slutty behavior" involves sexual promiscuity. Though it is almost always used to refer to women it can (and has) been used regarding men as well.

My point is this:

Shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something we should treat as "shameful"? What possible redeeming and positive attribute does it have? No matter your views on abortion, or premarital or extramarital sexual morality shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something that everyone on every side of the belief spectrum rightfully condemns?

What could possibly be wrong about shaming people who engage in such behavior?

Besides the fact that it's nobody's business how many people someone sleeps with, time after time I see anti choicers call women who abort "sluts" without knowing anything about their sexual history. Fact is, most women who abort are in a steady relationship with the man who got them pregnant.

Note, almost half a dozen responses and no one is bothering to even attempt to explain why sexual promiscuity should not be condemned.

Because sexual promiscuity is not harmful. There.

I don’t use the term slut directed at people. It’s tacky. And we’re not talking about merely calling a woman “a slut” feminists insist that any form of criticism of female promiscuity is “slut shaming” “slut shaming” is not merely the use of the word “slut” which should not be used because it’s something that’s extremely tacky.

I called his behavior mortally sinful which it is.

My support for him as president is unconnected to his *alleged* (and disputed) behavior 15 years ago.

No woman has been run out of office for being a “slut” that I am aware of, since your concern is equality

In the days of slut shaming plenty of women lost their jobs or were expelled from school for being pregnant. You illustrated my point that men didn't pay the consequences for promiscuity as women did. Trump openly flaunted his affair with Marla Maples for months while he was married to Ivanna. There were never any consequences.

That was a test to see if Democrats cared at all. They do not.

Do you mean this is all fantasy, or are these your real-life events? This, coupled with your disclosure about your ex-girlfriend's past as a prostitute, including disclosing her name and age (beware of getting sued), is just an unbelievable amount of disclosure of personal information in a public forum. You said you were concerned for my well-being... I never believed that you truly were (those were just poorly disguised jabs), but I'll tell you, I am genuinely concerned for you, that you disclose too much. If your avatar picture is the real you and your real house, then it's just unbelievable that someone would disclose as much! Wow! Stay safe!

About caring, I'm not exactly a Democrat but I do tend to vote Democrat most of the time, so, I might qualify under your eyes, and post #147 clearly shows that I care.

No woman has been run out of office for being a “slut” that I am aware of, since your concern is equality

Yes, there was a recent Democrat congresswomen who had affairs with campaign workers, who was kicked out of office (encouraged by Pelosi to resign, which she then did).

Yes, there was a recent Democrat congresswomen who had affairs with campaign workers, who was kicked out of office (encouraged by Pelosi to resign, which she then did).

She wasn’t kicked out of office, she voluntarily resigned. She also didn’t just engage in sexual degeneracy, she showed extraordinarily poor judgement in the manner in which she did so. It involved manipulating a young employee.

Men have resigned for less, some have done more and not resigned.

In the end the decision to resign is a personal one,

In the days of slut shaming plenty of women lost their jobs or were expelled from school for being pregnant. You illustrated my point that men didn't pay the consequences for promiscuity as women did. Trump openly flaunted his affair with Marla Maples for months while he was married to Ivanna. There were never any consequences.

What consequences did you want of Donald Trump? You want a retroactive 15 year old summary removal from office from a job he was elected for?

You say “plenty of women were” but that’s just an unsupported assertion, you didn’t provide any concrete example so I could look into it and see the nuance of what actually happened.

I personally hate the word "slut" with a passion but I'm using it here given everyone will know what I'm talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut

A recurring theme for people on the right who criticize women's sexual behaviors is that they are "slut shaming". Now according to everything I've read a "slut" or "slutty behavior" involves sexual promiscuity. Though it is almost always used to refer to women it can (and has) been used regarding men as well.

My point is this:

Shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something we should treat as "shameful"? What possible redeeming and positive attribute does it have? No matter your views on abortion, or premarital or extramarital sexual morality shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something that everyone on every side of the belief spectrum rightfully condemns?

What could possibly be wrong about shaming people who engage in such behavior?

Why is what other people do with their sex lives any of your business? It isn't. I am monogamous, and I personally wouldn't like having one night stands with people. That being said--I do not judge anyone else for doing that, because it is not my place, and I have no right to. It is wrong to shame someone for their sexual lives, especially when it doesn't effect you at all. Just because I have my own preferences, doesn't mean that I should look down on people who don't share mine.

Man, I just love all of the conservatives advocating for government action to stop "promiscuous behavior". So much for limited government, right? :lol:

..... "slut" or "slutty behavior" involves sexual promiscuity....... shouldn't sexual promiscuity be something that everyone on every side of the belief spectrum rightfully condemns?What could possibly be wrong about shaming people who engage in such behavior?

Have you ever asked yourself, "Why do I want to slut shame?"

Man, I just love all of the conservatives advocating for government action to stop "promiscuous behavior". So much for limited government, right? :lol:

American Sharia Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice; coming soon to a bedroom near you....and we didnt even have to import it from the Saudis ; home grown religious zealotry. :roll:

American Sharia Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice; coming soon to a bedroom near you....and we didnt even have to import it from the Saudis ; home grown religious zealotry. :roll:

Can you tell the Tribunal why exactly you were having sex with a male, outside of the confines of marriage, at exactly 8:30 PM? The sentence is 1,000 lashes!

I think it's because of the vain sense of superiority they get out of it. It's sad.

She wasn’t kicked out of office, she voluntarily resigned. She also didn’t just engage in sexual degeneracy, she showed extraordinarily poor judgement in the manner in which she did so. It involved manipulating a young employee.

Men have resigned for less, some have done more and not resigned.

In the end the decision to resign is a personal one,

Nah, it's the kind of thing that goes "you must resign, or else" and the person then has no other option, and resigns to save face. For me, that's kicking someone out. At first she was trying to resist and justify herself; it's after Pelosi's intervention that she resigned, and I wonder what Pelosi told her between closed doors that included threats strong enough that she was forced to resign.

Is there a double-standard? Sure. But I'm merely saying, your statement that NO woman has EVER been kicked out from office due to her sexual indiscretions, is factually untrue, given this recent example.

Outside of politics, how many female school teachers were kicked out from school for sexual indiscretions with students? Many of these are also serving sentences for statutory rape.

Yes, usually the school system and the courts deal with men in similar situations even more harshly. Again, I don't doubt the double standard. But if you want to fight off this double standard, don't start by making statements that are factually untrue. You weaken your side when you do that.

Last edited:

What consequences did you want of Donald Trump? You want a retroactive 15 year old summary removal from office from a job he was elected for?

You say “plenty of women were” but that’s just an unsupported assertion, you didn’t provide any concrete example so I could look into it and see the nuance of what actually happened.

Some concrete examples of Trump's sexual harassment. There are more if you need them.
(from: The Guardian)
-A list of the sexual misconduct accusations made against Donald Trump.
by Lucia Graves and Sam Morris
Last updated Wednesday 6 November 2019

“He was like an octopus … His hands were everywhere.”
Jessica Leeds

"I referred to this as a ‘rape’, but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense."
Ivana Trump

“He pushed me up against the wall, and had his hands all over me and tried to get up my dress again.”
Jill Harth

"He did touch my vagina through my underwear."
Kristen Anderson

“The time that he walked through the dressing rooms was really shocking. We were all naked.”
Bridget Sullivan

"Our first introduction to him was when we were at the dress rehearsal and half-naked changing into our bikinis.”
Tasha Dixon

"I turned around, and within seconds he was pushing me against the wall and forcing his tongue down my throat."
Natasha Stoynoff

“Trump stood right next to me and suddenly he squeezed my butt."
Ninni Laaksonen

"He would step in front of each girl and look you over from head to toe like we were just meat, we were just sexual objects, that we were not people."
Samantha Holvey

“He then grabbed my shoulder and began kissing me again very aggressively and placed his hand on my breast."
Summer Zervos

“He probably doesn’t want me telling the story about that time he continually grabbed my ass and invited me to his hotel room.”
Cassandra Searles

So since you know the Bible so well, tell us what it says about who should throw stones first at a promiscuous prostitute?

The woman in question was caught committing adultery. It said nothing about her being "promiscuous" or a "prostitute". Seems like you need more Bible knowledge.

At any rate Jesus told the woman caught committing adultery "Go and sin no more".

Nah, it's the kind of thing that goes "you must resign, or else" and the person then has no other option, and resigns to save face. For me, that's kicking someone out. At first she was trying to resist and justify herself; it's after Pelosi's intervention that she resigned, and I wonder what Pelosi told her between closed doors that included threats strong enough that she was forced to resign.

Is there a double-standard? Sure. But I'm merely saying, your statement that NO woman has EVER been kicked out from office due to her sexual indiscretions, is factually untrue, given this recent example.

Outside of politics, how many female school teachers were kicked out from school for sexual indiscretions with students? Many of these are also serving sentences for statutory rape.

Yes, usually the school system and the courts deal with men in similar situations even more harshly. Again, I don't doubt the double standard. But if you want to fight off this double standard, don't start by making statements that are factually untrue. You weaken your side when you do that.

I didn’t say no woman was forced out for “sexual indiscretions” I said none have been forced out of political office for “being a slut”

There is a difference. Hill’s indiscretion was predatory, not merely being a horndog

And really the only reason they forced her out is because they created for themselves an impossible standard with the fake Kavanaugh allegations that they had no choice, they didn’t want to do it

If you do not condemn behavior it is the same as endorsing it.

What is wrong with a sense of superiority?

Notice how they love to simultaneously play the victim when it comes to reckless sex, and a superior being when it comes to their hackneyed politics. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I didn’t say no woman was forced out for “sexual indiscretions” I said none have been forced out of political office for “being a slut”

There is a difference. Hill’s indiscretion was predatory, not merely being a horndog

And really the only reason they forced her out is because they created for themselves an impossible standard with the fake Kavanaugh allegations that they had no choice, they didn’t want to do it

Hm... the distinction is small. I remember people here calling Hill a slut...

No, the Dems have always had a higher standard regarding that. Remember Al Franken? If the GOP had similar high standards they wouldn't even have accepted Trump's application to run as a Republican.

Last edited:

Well I consider my sense of moral superiority fully justified. As I'm not condemning anything I've ever done. My hands are clean.

Well I consuider it comepletly unjustified and no your hands aret clean you are making accusations based on your personal warped morals

Back
Top Bottom