• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:51]New Zealand Women Covering Their Hair for Solidarity with Muslims- How do You Feel About This?

How do You Feel About NZ Women Covering their Heads for Solidarity with Islam?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Started by New Zealand's President Jacinda Ardern, women in New Zealand were encouraged to cover their heads after the Christchurch attack, in order to show support for the victims. Judging by online news sources, thousands of Kiwi women and girls have donned headscarfs, and voluntarily covered their hair.

l_446954_045606_updates.jpg

ak_nz_2203.jpg

SEI_57916608-e1553235767782.jpg

How do you feel about this? Personally, I don't remember Muslim women dressing in Western apparel, or donning Christian religious symbols to show solidarity with non-Muslim women after 9/11, or any of the hundreds of Islamic attacks in the Western world since then. Ardern's message to the Islamic community was, 'We Stand With You'. I'm not so sure Ardern knows the significance to Muslims of seeing thousands of Kiwi women wearing headscarfs. It looks like submission to them.

Last edited:
Re: New Zealand Women Covering Their Hair for Solidarity with Muslims- How do You Feel About This?

They can do whatever blows their hair back.

Its not here, and its not a legal mandate, so I don't care.

Re: New Zealand Women Covering Their Hair for Solidarity with Muslims- How do You Feel About This?

Go one step better.Have their genitals mutilated to comply with Sharia Law.

When they stop working, studying and driving, I will be impressed.

That's an unhealthy obsession you have there. Most people just think of headscarves.

So what? If women across New Zealand want to wear headscarves to show solidarity with Muslims after such a heinous event, I have zero problem with that.

How the idea originated....

Auckland doctor Thaya Ashman came up with the idea to encourage people to wear a headscarf after hearing about a woman who was too scared to go out because she felt her headscarf would make her a target for terrorism.

"I wanted to say: 'We are with you, we want you to feel at home on your own streets, we love, support and respect you'," Dr Ashman said.

New Zealand women wear headscarves in solidarity with Muslims after Christchurch shootings - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Good for them.

If Jews were murdered here would the liberals wear yamakas?

No, our ISIS overlords would never allow it

Started by New Zealand's President Jacinda Ardern, women in New Zealand were encouraged to cover their heads after the Christchurch attack, in order to show support for the victims. Judging by online news sources, thousands of Kiwi women and girls have donned headscarfs, and voluntarily covered their hair.
How do you feel about this? Personally, I don't remember Muslim women dressing in Western apparel, or donning Christian religious symbols to show solidarity with non-Muslim women after 9/11, or any of the hundreds of Islamic attacks in the Western world since then. Ardern's message to the Islamic community was, 'We Stand With You'. I'm not so sure Ardern knows the significance to Muslims of seeing thousands of Kiwi women wearing headscarfs. It looks like submission to them.

Funny thing about that Ardern woman ... she was raised a Mormon, left the church about 10 years ago because of its LGBT stance, is now "agnostic" ... and ends up donning Muslim headgear as a sign of solidarity ...

A typical liberal politician. :lol:

It's heartwarming to see the majority of New Zealand citizens coming together as one in powerful symbol of unity to denounce such a heinous act.

I can't comprehend why anyone would actually have a problem with that. The ones that do have a problem with it are clearly only looking at ways to go out of their way to divide us.

Being supportive, inclusive and wanting to show solidarity with a minority community which has just suffered grievous harm is not an act of submission to Islam or to the agenda of militant Islamists. It is rather an act of moral and neighbourly support. It is also the overt act of women who want to visibly repudiate everything the Christchurch mass murder stood for and believed in. If this is some kind of act of submission it is a submission to humanity, to empathy, to solidarity and to community.

It is telling that the OP could not see or chose not to see the genuine concern and empathy behind this manifestation but rather created a scenario seemingly designed to discredit and to question the wisdom of this collective act of solidarity in sympathy with the families of the 100 dead and wounded people cut down in their places of worship for no other reason than they exist. No doubt he would find fault with "Je suis Kiwi" buttons too had they been used instead.

Salaam Alaykum.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:

So what? If women across New Zealand want to wear headscarves to show solidarity with Muslims after such a heinous event, I have zero problem with that.

How the idea originated....
Auckland doctor Thaya Ashman came up with the idea to encourage people to wear a headscarf after hearing about a woman who was too scared to go out because she felt her headscarf would make her a target for terrorism.

"I wanted to say: 'We are with you, we want you to feel at home on your own streets, we love, support and respect you'," Dr Ashman said.

New Zealand women wear headscarves in solidarity with Muslims after Christchurch shootings - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Good for them.

It's heartwarming to see the majority of New Zealand citizens coming together as one in powerful symbol of unity to denounce such a heinous act.

I can't comprehend why anyone would actually have a problem with that. The ones that do have a problem with it are clearly only looking at ways to go out of their way to divide us.

completely agree with all the bolded!!!

i doubly agree with the underlined, its completely weird for anybody to be bothered by this and says a lot about them.

also thanks for the link

Personally, I don't remember Muslim women dressing in Western apparel, or donning Christian religious symbols to show solidarity with non-Muslim women after 9/11, or any of the hundreds of Islamic attacks in the Western world since then.

Because there were no Muslims that attacked the US on 9/11.

or any of the hundreds of Islamic attacks in the Western world since then.

Those don't come remotely close to the US/western attacks on I, A, L, S, U, Latin America, SE Asia, ... .

Backyard terrorism
George Monbiot

The US has been training terrorists at a camp in Georgia for years - and it's still at it

"If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents," George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, "they have become outlaws and murderers themselves. And they will take that lonely path at their own peril." I'm glad he said "any government", as there's one which, though it has yet to be identified as a sponsor of terrorism, requires his urgent attention.

For the past 55 years it has been running a terrorist training camp, whose victims massively outnumber the people killed by the attack on New York, the embassy bombings and the other atrocities laid, rightly or wrongly, at al-Qaida's door. The camp is called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or Whisc. It is based in Fort Benning, Georgia, and it is funded by Mr Bush's government.

George Monbiot: Backyard terrorism in the US | World news | The Guardian

Are you suggesting that Jewish people don't receive a great deal of support? Are you simply using Jewish people for political/nefarious ends?

Weren't your genitals mutilated to comply with your family's customs?

Those don't come remotely close to the US/western attacks on I, A, L, S, U, Latin America, SE Asia, ... .

Bolded-contrary to known reality

Bolded-contrary to known reality

Brainwashed folks have no idea about what reality is. There is simply zero evidence from US governments for their existence and voluminous scientific evidence that proves they never existed.

Brainwashed folks have no idea about what reality is. There is simply zero evidence from US governments for their existence and voluminous scientific evidence that proves they never existed.

You're in the wrong section-you should be posting that crap in the CT forum.

Started by New Zealand's President Jacinda Ardern,

That made me laugh. One has to wonder just how much research and thought went into the op when even a simple fact like giving the prime minister of new zealand her correct title can not even be managed.

You're in the wrong section-you should be posting that crap in the CT forum.

Are you suggesting that the FBI is a group of conspiracy theorists? They have had a mandate from Congress to investigate and gather all evidence, new and old, on 9/11.

A new lawsuit to be filed on March 25 will demand that all this evidence is released.

Are you suggesting that the FBI is a group of conspiracy theorists? They have had a mandate from Congress to investigate and gather all evidence, new and old, on 9/11.

A new lawsuit to be filed on March 25 will demand that all this evidence is released.

are you claiming the hijackers were not Saudi Muslims?

That made me laugh. One has to wonder just how much research and thought went into the op when even a simple fact like giving the prime minister of new zealandher correct title can not even be managed.

You didn't capitalize New Zealand. One has to wonder just how much research and thought went into your post when even a simple fact like displaying the proper grammar can not even be managed.

No one forced anyone to wear head-scarves and doing so was neither an act of submission to Islam nor a government sanctioned support of the Islamic religion. Many Christian churches ask women to wear scarves, do you think that a visitor wearing a scarf to one of the denominations has suddenly become a member? No, they are simply being polite.

Topics for discussion: New Zealand, headscarfs, solidarity day. Christchurch massacre, if you must.

Topics not open to discussion: 9/11, US foreign policy, a flipping Guardian article about the US.

Stay on topic.

If the Muslim community likes and appreciates the gesture, that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom