• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:51]New Zealand Women Covering Their Hair for Solidarity with Muslims- How do You Feel About This?

How do You Feel About NZ Women Covering their Heads for Solidarity with Islam?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Zealand Women Covering Their Hair for Solidarity with Muslims- How do You Feel About This?

Why am I not surprised that your idea of evidence is all anecdotal?

What evidence do you have that the hijackers were not Muslim? Why don't you suggest what their backgrounds were.

Re: New Zealand Women Covering Their Hair for Solidarity with Muslims- How do You Feel About This?

Moderator's Warning:
Ralphcdp has been removed from the thread. Please do not quote and reply to his posts. Thank you.

We're divided because 50% of us wish to keep our heritage, culture, and traditions alive, while the other 50% want to abandon them. A divided house cannot stand. Remember who began this process of division people.

No one is threatening American heritage, culture, and traditions. There is no mechanism by which immigration can destroy your heritage, culture, or traditions. These things can only ever be willfully abandoned. If you are unwilling to abandon them, then you have nothing to fear. If you want to prevent others from willfully abandoning them by preventing exposure to other cultures, then it is you and others who think like you who started and are perpetuating this division.

Did Muslim women change their style of dress to show solidarity with the dozens of Islamic attacks on Westerners? No. Did they wear arm bands or t shirts to support the 50 gays murdered by Omar Mateen in Orlando? No. Did they don French apparel after 84 were ground into pulp in the Nice attack committed by Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel? No. Did they do anything to show solidarity with San Bernardino's Christians when 14 were shot to death at a Christmas party? Again, no.

A new low is telling your women and girls to dress in the clothing style of the single biggest oppressive culture to women on earth, because of some emotional overload that had no room for logic.

Hate to break it to you bud, but your white supremacist heroes were—-and are—pretty ****ing oppressive to women, so your faux concern can go jump off a bridge.

I get it. You are desperate to cling at any straw to downplay this far right terrorist attack, and to indulge your hatred for Muslims. Unfortunately for you, that doesn’t justify your crap.

It's heartwarming to see the majority of New Zealand citizens coming together as one in powerful symbol of unity to denounce such a heinous act.

I can't comprehend why anyone would actually have a problem with that. The ones that do have a problem with it are clearly only looking at ways to go out of their way to divide us.

What a pity not one of them, including the New Zealand PM, were in solidarity with the 120 Christians murdered in Nigeria in the same week. Where was/is the outrage for the slaughtered Christians? Where was/is the media saturation coverage of the slaughter? Why are they not talking about slaughtered Christians? As for wearing a symbol of oppression, none of them have a clue about the hijab.

Sorry, my spell check is showing that you've misspelled 'capitalize'. I'm going to have to deduct more points from you. You should spell words according to American standards, and wear a headscarf or burka while doing so. Otherwise I may think you're an extremist.

Are you really that ignorant?
Verbs ending in -ize, -ise, -yze, and... | Oxford Dictionaries
any verbs that end in -ize can also end in -ise in British English. For example, in British English, all of the following spellings are acceptable: finalize/finalise; organize/organise; realize/realise. In American English, the only correct spellings are finalize, organize, and realize.

As i explained to you. I use the english version not the american. Grammar is about consistency not conformity to what americans do.

Seems pretty cheap to me. They should sacrifice their equal rights, maybe voluntarily engage in FGM, subjugate themselves to their husbands...you know...REALLY show their connection to Muslim women. Hell...a scarf you can take off after a while.

It is an online campaign by Auckland doctor Thaya Ashman and some NZ women posted pictures of themselves in headscarves to support the Head Scarf for Harmony campaign. The NZ prime minister also got on the bandwagon. People often come up with strange ideas on Facebook.

54433702_10155810943417186_7814594678975627264_n.jpg

Auckland doctor Thaya Ashman came up with the idea to encourage people to wear a headscarf after hearing about a woman who was too scared to go out because she felt her headscarf would make her a target for terrorism.

"I wanted to say: 'We are with you, we want you to feel at home on your own streets, we love, support and respect you'," Dr Ashman said.

As Christchurch locals prayed in front of the Al Noor mosque on Friday, where most of the victims were killed last week, women in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch posted pictures of themselves in headscarves, some with children in headscarves too.

Rachel MacGregor, who is involved in the Head Scarf for Harmony campaign, said she had felt anxious going out with her head covered, with people staring at her when she entered her office building.

"It's given me for the first time an appreciation for what it must be like to be a minority and to wear clothing that perhaps the majority don't normally wear," she said.

Headscarf for Harmony

Last edited:

If Jews were murdered here would the liberals wear yamakas?

And would we expect to see you referencing genital mutilation again ?

Who wears a Japanese Motorcycle?

Hate to break it to you bud,

Statements that begin with disingenuous crap like this usually aren't worth finishing. Your comment was no exception.

Started by New Zealand's President Jacinda Ardern, women in New Zealand were encouraged to cover their heads after the Christchurch attack, in order to show support for the victims. Judging by online news sources, thousands of Kiwi women and girls have donned headscarfs, and voluntarily covered their hair.

l_446954_045606_updates.jpg

ak_nz_2203.jpg

SEI_57916608-e1553235767782.jpg

How do you feel about this? Personally, I don't remember Muslim women dressing in Western apparel, or donning Christian religious symbols to show solidarity with non-Muslim women after 9/11, or any of the hundreds of Islamic attacks in the Western world since then. Ardern's message to the Islamic community was, 'We Stand With You'. I'm not so sure Ardern knows the significance to Muslims of seeing thousands of Kiwi women wearing headscarfs. It looks like submission to them.

Personally, who gives a ****? And it is not a big thing to wear a scarf for a day, stopping wearing your scarf as a sign of your religion is a big thing.

Personally, who gives a ****? And it is not a big thing to wear a scarf for a day, stopping wearing your scarf as a sign of your religion is a big thing.

Haha, your comment sums up our relationship with Islam- it's 'not a big thing' for Westerners to change their habits to be more accommodating to Muslims, but Muslim's culture shouldn't be inconvenienced in even the smallest way, even after an Islamic terrorist attack which kills our people.

This is why they don't assimilate into Western society; too many Westerners tip toe around them, afraid of upsetting their culture.

Haha, your comment sums up our relationship with Islam- it's 'not a big thing' for Westerners to change their habits to be more accommodating to Muslims, but Muslim's culture shouldn't be inconvenienced in even the smallest way, even after an Islamic terrorist attack which kills our people.

This is why they don't assimilate into Western society; too many Westerners tip toe around them, afraid of upsetting their culture.

No, this has nothing to do with tip toeing around anything. This has to do with putting our money where our mouth is, we cannot preach freedom of religion but then think that their religious liberty is not acceptable. That may be how you feel but I disagree with that. Freedom of religion is a basic right. That right also exists for muslims.

Wearing a headscarf is a religious practice, women usually take that very serious. That is their right. This has nothing to do with culture, our culture is freedom of religion.

And the women of New Zealand they did not change their habits to accommodate muslims, they just did it to give the middle fingers to hatred by giving the middle finger to right wing hate mongers and good for them.

What a pity not one of them, including the New Zealand PM, were in solidarity with the 120 Christians murdered in Nigeria in the same week. Where was/is the outrage for the slaughtered Christians? Where was/is the media saturation coverage of the slaughter? Why are they not talking about slaughtered Christians? As for wearing a symbol of oppression, none of them have a clue about the hijab.

Start a thread then about it but stop derailing this one.

Rot and nonsense.

No, this has nothing to do with tip toeing around anything. This has to do with putting our money where our mouth is, we cannot preach freedom of religion but then think that their religious liberty is not acceptable. That may be how you feel but I disagree with that. Freedom of religion is a basic right. That right also exists for muslims.

I never said that the headscarf should be banned, I said that Jacinda Ardern made a poor choice in telling kiwi women to wear them, because A) to Muslims, this appears to be submission to Allah, not solidarity, as most Muslims do not publicly display any sympathy for non-Muslim people affected by terrorism, and B) Muslims didn't change their style of dress to show solidarity with victims of Islamic terrorism.

Wearing a headscarf is a religious practice, women usually take that very serious. That is their right. This has nothing to do with culture, our culture is freedom of religion.

What you're saying is that the symbolic ornaments of Islam are more important than showing solidarity with the host countries which have taken in Muslims. Got it. Christians may not wear clothing which displays the crucifix symbol in a public position, such as Prime Minister, but wearing a headscarf associated today with Islam is OK.

And the women of New Zealand they did not change their habits to accommodate muslims, they just did it to give the middle fingers to hatred by giving the middle finger to right wing hate mongers and good for them.

Giving the middle finger to 'right wing hate mongers', when Islam doesn't recognize women's rights. Brilliant! Even the most right wing Western man like Brenden Tarrant wasn't in favor of treating women like the property of men. So what message are Kiwi women sending out here?

Rot and nonsense.

I see you're a Kiwi, so you must have heard by now that Brenden Tarrant wasn't the first terrorist to grace the Christchurch mosque. Attendees at that mosque went off to fight for terrorist organizations, long before Tarrant committed his act of evil. Just think, Kiwi women showed solidarity with those mosque attendees by wearing the headscarf. Nice.

Start a thread then about it but stop derailing this one.

She's perfectly within her right to post here.

I never said that the headscarf should be banned, I said that Jacinda Ardern made a poor choice in telling kiwi women to wear them, because A) to Muslims, this appears to be submission to Allah, not solidarity, as most Muslims do not publicly display any sympathy for non-Muslim people affected by terrorism, and B) Muslims didn't change their style of dress to show solidarity with victims of Islamic terrorism.

Pretty sure I never stated you wanted to ban head scarves, I was talking about other people who do want to ban people from wearing it, you know like the idiot Wilders. And she inspired with the wearing of the headscarf. She did not tell women to do anything, she inspired women to make the right choice.

a. many muslims display sympathy for non-muslim victims of terrorism. That you ignore their sympathy is not their fault. Also, how many Westerners show sympathy for muslims who were killed by terrorists?

b. again, what idiot would ask someone religious to stop wearing their religious clothing for showing solidarity. Solidarity is shown by actions not by stripping off clothing.

What you're saying is that the symbolic ornaments of Islam are more important than showing solidarity with the host countries which have taken in Muslims. Got it. Christians may not wear clothing which displays the crucifix symbol in a public position, such as Prime Minister, but wearing a headscarf associated today with Islam is OK.

No, it is giving the middle finger to terrorism and intolerance. And wearing clothing with a crucifix is not a religious garb, it is just a fashion statement. I am not really sure why someone would want to ban it unless one is a police officer, judge or functionary like that. But again yes, wearing a scarf to protest terrorism is fine.

Giving the middle finger to 'right wing hate mongers', when Islam doesn't recognize women's rights. Brilliant! Even the most right wing Western man like Brenden Tarrant wasn't in favor of treating women like the property of men. So what message are Kiwi women sending out here?

And most muslims who are not backward idiots do respect women's rights. Sadly too many backward muslims are living in countries where they are being bottle fed the idiotic views on women because it suits the religious and other leaders in these countries. Controlling women by pushing men to do that for them is perfect for the idiotic leaders of those countries.

But we are not discussing women's rights. I am all for making sure woemn's rights get promoted in every country. Sadly it will take some time. We must never stop fighting for it but demanding it does not work. You cannot demand things of other countries, you have to nudge them as fast and hard as possible towards respecting women's rights. But forcing them will not promote women's rights, it will make backward leaders show to their indoctrinated followers that their ways are best because the west is forcing them to accept debauchery and stuff like that.

Change can only come from the inside, but we must fight hard to facilitate it. But sadly there are christians with the same idiotic ideas than those muslims. No Brendan Tate was an animal terrorist with no respect for anybody's life or rights. And the women of NZ are sending a message of hate and respect wins over terrorism all of the time.

I see you're a Kiwi, so you must have heard by now that Brenden Tarrant wasn't the first terrorist to grace the Christchurch mosque. Attendees at that mosque went off to fight for terrorist organizations, long before Tarrant committed his act of evil. Just think, Kiwi women showed solidarity with those mosque attendees by wearing the headscarf. Nice.

Something I posted elsewhere

1: Prayer already takes place in parliament.

2: Simply having an Islamic prayer in parliament does not make either parliament as a whole or individual parliamentarians 'submitted' in any way shape or form.

3: Islam is a relationship with a community entered into intentionally and deliberately by saying the Shahadah " There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the prophet of God", this must be said with full knowledge of what you are saying and it’s implications and in front of Islamic authority. It cannot be done by stealth nor can it be forced.

4: Having NZers take part, of their own volition, in listening to Muslim prayers is no different than had the attack been on the Hindus or the Sikhs or Jews. Would you insist that listening to the prayers of those faith communities would be submitting ourselves to them or is that nonsense reserved only for Muslims and the Islamic faith?

5: What is wrong with the PM saying that the costs of the funeral will be covered by the government? Either by ACC or some other government department. These folk are NZers who died doing nothing more provocative than praying. We should make provision for such folk and such circumstances.

6: There is a deep strain of xenophobia in NZ. The PM is right in using the actions of this idiot to ask us to face up to it. Moreover she is right to change the gun laws to make a person getting their hands on semi-automatic weapons far more difficult.

7: The gang members who undertook actions to protect the Muslim community were acting on their own behalf. Their actions were timely, compassionate and welcomed by the Muslim community. Who are you to aver that they should not have become involved?

8: Gun laws in this country have been far too lax for far too long. We need to tighten them up. Also please explain to me why a farmer needs a semi-automatic assault carbine. They have access to shotguns and .22 rimfire rifles with 5 round magazines. What exactly do you thing these farmers / hunters are hunting?

9: No one forced anyone to wear head-scarves and in doing so we neither carrying out an act of submission to Islam nor is it a government sanctioned support of the Islamic religion. Many Christian churches ask women to wear scarves, do you think that a visitor wearing a scarf to one of those denominations has suddenly become a member? No, they are simply being polite.

10: In point of fact the word 'Islam' means 'submission to God.' The same submission that Christians espouse when they pray the Lord's Prayer or when Jews repeat the Shema.

11: Finally no one has become a Muslim because they have listened to the call to prayer or watched Muslims pray. No one has submitted to Islam by wearing a head-scarf or by being polite. The PM has no more required submission to Islam than she has asked us to fly. Your post is simply fear-mongering of the worst kind.

Rt. Rev. Raymond McIntyre
Orthodox Old Catholic Church in NZ.

Statements that begin with disingenuous crap like this usually aren't worth finishing. Your comment was no exception.

And yet you continue to expect people to take your constant spewing of drivel seriously.

Your desperation to try and justify and downplay the attack is extremely telling.

Pretty sure I never stated you wanted to ban head scarves, I was talking about other people who do want to ban people from wearing it, you know like the idiot Wilders. And she inspired with the wearing of the headscarf. She did not tell women to do anything, she inspired women to make the right choice.

4: Having NZers take part, of their own volition, in listening to Muslim prayers is no different than had the attack been on the Hindus or the Sikhs or Jews. Would you insist that listening to the prayers of those faith communities would be submitting ourselves to them or is that nonsense reserved only for Muslims and the Islamic faith?

9: No one forced anyone to wear head-scarves and in doing so we neither carrying out an act of submission to Islam nor is it a government sanctioned support of the Islamic religion. Many Christian churches ask women to wear scarves, do you think that a visitor wearing a scarf to one of those denominations has suddenly become a member? No, they are simply being polite.

10: In point of fact the word 'Islam' means 'submission to God.' The same submission that Christians espouse when they pray the Lord's Prayer or when Jews repeat the Shema.

11: Finally no one has become a Muslim because they have listened to the call to prayer or watched Muslims pray. No one has submitted to Islam by wearing a head-scarf or by being polite. The PM has no more required submission to Islam than she has asked us to fly. Your post is simply fear-mongering of the worst kind.

Rt. Rev. Raymond McIntyre
Orthodox Old Catholic Church in NZ.

And yet you continue to expect people to take your constant spewing of drivel seriously.

Your desperation to try and justify and downplay the attack is extremely telling.

"As an Iranian who was beaten & jailed for opposing mandatory Hijab,I'm appalled to see Hijab celebrated in the West.
I have a dream for all women to be free oneday. Free to choose what to wear, how to live, and what to think. Celebrating hijab destroys that dream. During my detention I’ve been tormented when they keep yelling that even in the West they praise the hijab & I'm a disgrace to the society!
In the west unintentionally they help fundamentalists to supress women like me when they glorify the hijab & make it the symbol of harmony!"

- Maryam Shariatmadari

Thanks for blowing it again liberal white guys.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Maryamshariatm

A headscarf is not a hijab.

Sometimes visitors to Synagogues have done just that - in the wake of a tragedy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom