• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#49]Conversion therapy is now illegal in Canada

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
CTV News

OTTAWA -- Conversion therapy is now illegal in Canada, marking a major milestone in LGBTQ2S+ rights in this country.

After parliamentarians came together to unanimously pass legislation to eradicate the harmful practice in late 2021, the Criminal Code sanctions came into force on Jan. 7.

That means that now, anyone who looks to subject someone of any age, consenting or not, to so-called conversion therapy could face up to five years in prison.

As well, if someone is found to be promoting, advertising, or profiting from providing the practice, they could face up to two years in prison.

Conversion “therapy,” as it has been called, seeks to change a person's sexual orientation to heterosexual or gender identity to cisgender. It can include seeking to repress someone’s non-heterosexual attraction, or repressing a person’s gender expression or non-cis gender identity.

These practices can take various forms, including counselling and behavioural modification, and they have been opposed by numerous health and human rights groups. There continue to be calls for further mental health and educational supports for those who have survived conversion therapy.

This is a stronger version of a bill that died on the order paper when the last election was called. Instead of fighting this one though the Conservatives decided to fast track the bill to avoid a recorded the vote and to create a headline on supporting multi-partisanship efforts to pass the bill before the winter break. Every other party unanamiuosly supported it anyways. If the Conservatives decided to force it to go to a recorded vote it would have just given the other parties a bludgening tool to use in the next election, they still can just not as effectivly. One of the rare examples of O'Toole actually controlling the social conservative faction of his party, the rest of the party does support it. Of course that faction is pissed but who cares, O'Toole needs to learn to control them more, the Conservatives electoral prospoects will not get better till he does.

This law is a very good step for LGBT rights. US states need to get on board too.

I support LGBT, but trying to biologically change a boy into a girl is child abuse.

This has nothing to do with that of course.
Oh, sorry. I saw the term “conversion therapy” and assumed it was referring to real science…. I forgot what world I was in for a minute.

Oh, sorry. I saw the term “conversion therapy” and assumed it was referring to real science…. I forgot what world I was in for a minute.
Do you know what conversion therapy is? It's using conditioning techniques to try to change the orientation of the subject from homosexual to heterosexual. It has nothing to do with being transgender.

Oh sorry. That is cruel and wrong.

Good, if only we could do this in the US.

Do you know what conversion therapy is? It's using conditioning techniques to try to change the orientation of the subject from homosexual to heterosexual. It has nothing to do with being transgender.
Conversion therapy can be targeted to transgender people as well and the law addresses that, see article.

The bill does have to do with gender identity and gender expression, as well as sexual orientation. Many states in the US already have these bans.
The bill defines conversion therapy as any practice, treatment or service designed to change or repress a person's sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

Many thanks to the Conservative Party of Canada which facilitated the unanimous and fast passing of the Bill.

OTTAWA -- Conversion therapy is now illegal in Canada, marking a major milestone in LGBTQ2S+ rights in this country.

The hilarity of the bolded part above says it all. Monty Python could not have written a more silly scetch than including the word "LGBTQ2S+" in the comedy bit.

1d91598aa423560d5f930b36e738ecea--freak-show-sideshow.jpg

Exactly what is involved in such type of therapy?

It'll be interesting to see where this leads for psychology and psychiatry, as both practices involve helping patients modify behaviors.

This legislation outlaws behavior modification even when requested, but pertains only to one set of behaviors.

What if homeless schizophrenics and psychotics win the right to be left untreated? There are also court cases where the defendant is currently "not competent to stand trial" but is being treated against their will in order to restore their competency.

I can see future lawsuits defending dangerous people to be left alone, untreated, and loose in society.

CTV News

This is a stronger version of a bill that died on the order paper when the last election was called. Instead of fighting this one though the Conservatives decided to fast track the bill to avoid a recorded the vote and to create a headline on supporting multi-partisanship efforts to pass the bill before the winter break. Every other party unanamiuosly supported it anyways. If the Conservatives decided to force it to go to a recorded vote it would have just given the other parties a bludgening tool to use in the next election, they still can just not as effectivly. One of the rare examples of O'Toole actually controlling the social conservative faction of his party, the rest of the party does support it. Of course that faction is pissed but who cares, O'Toole needs to learn to control them more, the Conservatives electoral prospoects will not get better till he does.

This law is a very good step for LGBT rights. US states need to get on board too.
iu

Exactly what is involved in such type of therapy?

From what I gather, it depends on the group doing the 'therapy'. One common technique is using electric shock as aversion therapy. The person I know went through it was an extreme, and it was religious based, so in addition to electroshock therapy, forced baptism until nearly drowned, and 'pray the gay away'. I gather other is basically telling what a horrible person you are. Another relaying of therapy which included that, and also activities that were considered 'manly' like repairing cars. The person who discussed that online said 'That just made me a good car mechanic and still gay'. Another person relayed that they had heat, cold and electricity applied while they were bound on a table (sounds like torture to me)

The person that discussed their experience with me said that she was forced by her parents when she was 16. At the time she told me, she was 32, and was a flaming lesbian. Out of the 13 people who went to the camp with her, 6 were dead, 4 overdoses and 2 suicides. She alas is now deceased, but it was complications from a stroke she got when she was sick with covid.

It'll be interesting to see where this leads for psychology and psychiatry, as both practices involve helping patients modify behaviors.

This legislation outlaws behavior modification even when requested, but pertains only to one set of behaviors.

What if homeless schizophrenics and psychotics win the right to be left untreated? There are also court cases where the defendant is currently "not competent to stand trial" but is being treated against their will in order to restore their competency.

I can see future lawsuits defending dangerous people to be left alone, untreated, and loose in society.
Aah the slippery slope fallacy. Like if we let gays marry, next people will be marrying horses. It's the logical conclusion right?

Aah the slippery slope fallacy. Like if we let gays marry, next people will be marrying horses. It's the logical conclusion right?

Your conclusion is illogical. Canada just outlawed practicing behavior modification of a single behavior, even if it is requested voluntarily.

Who knows if it's a slippery slope, but we know that psychologists and psychiatrists work in the field of behavior modification.

There are even medications being prescribed that modify a persons behavior. Maybe you could educate yourself by googling "behavior modification" and learn how it's a widespread doctrine within the field of psychology and psychiatric medicine.

You seem to be under the impression that conversion therapy has actual science behind it rather than just being the torture and abuse it is. Conversion therapy has no basis in scientific reality.

Not to mention the problem of viewing homosexuality and being transgender like being schizophrenic.

Back
Top Bottom