• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:44] Kushner’s Absurd Peace Plan Has Failed

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

5/17/21
“One of the reasons the Arab-Israeli conflict persisted for so long was the myth that it could be solved only after Israel and the Palestinians resolved their differences,” wrote Kushner. “That was never true. The Abraham Accords exposed the conflict as nothing more than a real-estate dispute between Israelis and Palestinians that need not hold up Israel’s relations with the broader Arab world.” To circumvent that dispute, the United States set about bribing other Arab and Muslim countries to normalize relations with Israel. The United Arab Emirates got an enormous arms deal. Morocco got Trump to support its annexation of the Western Sahara. Sudan got taken off America’s list of state sponsors of terrorism. But the explosion of fighting in Israel and Palestine in recent days makes clear something that never should have been in doubt: justice for the Palestinians is a precondition for peace. And one reason there has been so little justice for the Palestinians is because of the foreign policy of the United States. “I don’t think that there’s any way that this occupation and creeping annexation process could have gotten where it is today if the United States had said no,” said Jeremy Ben-Ami, the president of the liberal Zionist group J-Street. One can condemn Hamas and its rockets and still recognize that this current conflagration began with Israeli overreach born of a sense of impunity.

To be fair, this is not something that began with Trump: America has been enabling Israel’s occupation and settlement project for decades. All the same, Trump’s foreign policy allowed the Israeli right-wing to understand that they can get away with their most extreme policies. Israel’s 2018 “nation-state law” enshrined “Jewish settlement as a national value” and undermined the legal equality of Israel’s Arab citizens. As settlements expanded, a two-state solution turned from a distant dream into a fantasy. “I’ve lived here for a long time; I’ve never seen it this bad,” Diana Buttu, a former lawyer for the Palestine Liberation Organization, told me by phone from Haifa. All this mayhem is overdetermined; nearly every iniquity in the region has an impossibly complicated prehistory. But the United States has underwritten both Palestinian subjugation and the growing power of Jewish ethno-nationalism. It’s not enough for Joe Biden to be a little bit better than Trump or to try to restart a spectral “peace process.” If Israel can no longer afford to ignore the demands of the Palestinians, neither can we.

Clearly, rather than solve any of the core Levant problems, Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner only succeeded in exacerbating them.

The Trump order to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem voided any claims by the United States to be a neutral peace negotiator.

What would it take to resolve the Israel-Palestine conflict?

Clearly, rather than solve any of the core Levant problems, Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner only succeeded in exacerbating them.

The Trump order to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem voided any claims by the United States to be a neutral peace negotiator.

That's why you don't send a corrupt real estate developer to do the work of smart people. Kushner is no different than his criminal father.

What would it take to resolve the Israel-Palestine conflict?
Sadly, I think the animosity is so deep that it would probably require a genocide. I don't see peace ever happening. I pray that I am wrong.

There cannot be peace until the grey and purple is removed from this map:

1621361188990.png

“One of the reasons the Arab-Israeli conflict persisted for so long was the myth that it could be solved only after Israel and the Palestinians resolved their differences,” wrote Kushner. “That was never true. The Abraham Accords exposed the conflict as nothing more than a real-estate dispute between Israelis and Palestinians that need not hold up Israel’s relations with the broader Arab world.”

Well.

Sadly, I think the animosity is so deep that it would probably require a genocide. I don't see peace ever happening. I pray that I am wrong.
It's no deeper than the divide between Northern Irish and English. They made peace because both negotiated and compromised. What you've got in the ME is a situation where both sides are intractable. Someone needs to start moving by initiating a meeting and both sides need to be building consensus on some concessions.

It doesn't look possible right now, but these sorts of hostilities have been solved in the past.

It's no deeper than the divide between Northern Irish and English. They made peace because both negotiated and compromised. What you've got in the ME is a situation where both sides are intractable. Someone needs to start moving by initiating a meeting and both sides need to be building consensus on some concessions.

It doesn't look possible right now, but these sorts of hostilities have been solved in the past.
How successful do you think negotiations would have been if the Irish Republicans had tons of settlements in Northern Ireland and turned Protestant towns into tiny enclaves, and continued evicting Protestants from their lands and setting up new settlements?

Doesn’t NI want to leave UK since Brexit?

Edit: Kushner was the Secretary of Everything!

How successful do you think negotiations would have been if the Irish Republicans had tons of settlements in Northern Ireland and turned Protestant towns into tiny enclaves, and continued evicting Protestants from their lands and setting up new settlements?
Not very. Obviously the aggression from both sides has to stop for any useful negotiation to begin.

At the very least? The removal of all Israeli settlements from the West Bank.
It will require an equal two-state solution that the current Likud government of Israel opposes.

Not very. Obviously the aggression from both sides has to stop for any useful negotiation to begin.

“On both sides”

On one side we have a nuclear power with one of the world’s best militaries engaged in a campaign of ethnic cleansing and on the other side we have the people they are trying to evict from their land.

“On both sides”

On one side we have a nuclear power with one of the world’s best militaries engaged in a campaign of ethnic cleansing and on the other side we have the people they are trying to evict from their land.
What are we up to - 3,000 rockets? You don't see that as agression?

It will require an equal two-state solution that the current Likud government of Israel opposes.

Then it’s probably a good thing the Likud government is making itself look corrupt and incompetent to the electorate.

When it was provoked by the Israelis evicting Palestinians from their homes in East Jerusalem so they can seize that land for a new settlement?

Wasn't Kushner in charge of the border wall as well? How did that go?
Trump put Jared in charge of random projects hoping that he'd go away, he never did.

When it was provoked by the Israelis evicting Palestinians from their homes in East Jerusalem so they can seize that land for a new settlement?
I get that - but both sides need to stop the aggression they are both engaged in.

When I had a repair shop in the 1980’s, a customer brought his grandson with him to the shop one Saturday morning. The boy had found a turtle earlier that morning. He kept jabbing the turtle in the head while proclaiming, “see grandad, this isn’t a snapping turtle!”

After a few more jabs, the boy let out a howl and I turned to see the turtle attached to the boy’s outstretched hand...........

That's why you don't send a corrupt real estate developer to do the work of smart people. Kushner is no different than his criminal father.
Yeah, but he's Jewish--what more do you need? Same as giving the black guy HUD.

Back
Top Bottom